v8 update issues

Out of sync & soundcard problems

Hi,
I’ve been using n-track since 2011 and I’m very happy with the application. It’s easy to navigate and easy to use. And the results are normally very good.
I recently updated to v8 on my iMac and now I experience several problems with sng files that didn’t pose any problems running on my previous v7. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which ahs never given me any grief. I did not change any settings prior to or after the update.
The first thing I noticed was MIDI files with piano being out of sync with the beat. Then I ran a sng file with quite a few tracks (approx 15-20) that worked just fine on v7. The file was a bit slow to load and froze sometimes for a while during editing, but that was understandable. Given the high number of tracks an VSTs. After the update it sounded “chopped” and I started playing around with the buffering, but no success. It only got worse.
Anyone else experienced this, and any good advice on how2fix?

Oddvar

Hi, Oddvar.Tonnessen. i’m having a few niggles with 8. I’m wondering if one of the issues I’m having is behind one of yours. I’m struggling to place the cursor at any precise point - the same for pasting midi parts or notes, at medium to high-ish zoom levels - it seems to want to jump to the next measure (or two). This, I’m sure you’ll be aware, would cause synch issues.
I’m sure it’ll all be ironed-out soon.

I might have a solution to your issue pasting at higher levels. n-Track supports many different levels of timing resolution. Go to the clock and right click on it and you’ll see various “FPS” options. These are the ticks of the clock. In Reaper, by default, counts it’s clock from .000 to .999 per second, The default for n-Track is .00 to.29 per second so it’s timing resolution can make it appear difficult to accurately place on the timeline. In n-Track you can set any value you want, for example, you have a part in Reaper with an offset of 6:02.577 If you try to paste this into n-Track it will be out of sync slightly because it can’t place the part to the offsets higher resolution. Setting the clock in n-Track to “Custom” to 1000 will set your clock to the same resolution clock in Reaper, then when your import a file from Reaper or any other program that has any different levels of timing resolution offset, you can place it with confidence. n-Track also support samples which is it’s highest resolution. Setting this highest setting can be useful for those situations where you must be able to make super fine adjustments, especially at high magnification.

I hope that helps explain a few things. :cool:

PACO

When running a lot of VST’s it’s always a good idea to mix down your tracks so you don’t over load the system resources. I always back up the “dry” tracks in case I want to make a change later on, I can just reload, add the VST and then mix down and then unload the VST. I run any where from 25 to 35 tracks without issue with one or 2 n-Track VST’s. As a rule, I don’t run a lot of VST’s for obvious reason as explained above.

Hope that helps,

PACO :cool:

Gentlemen,
Thanks for very good response and several excellent suggestions. I’m relatively new to the home studio thing so it’s much appreciated. Especially the mixdown of single tracks. Haven’t done that yet, but will definitely try it.

Oddvar

Quote: (Paco572 @ Mar. 02 2016, 8:57 PM)

I might have a solution to your issue pasting at higher levels. n-Track supports many different levels of timing resolution. Go to the clock and right click on it and you'll see various "FPS" options. These are the ticks of the clock. In Reaper, by default, counts it's clock from .000 to .999 per second, The default for n-Track is .00 to.29 per second so it's timing resolution can make it appear difficult to accurately place on the timeline. In n-Track you can set any value you want, for example, you have a part in Reaper with an offset of 6:02.577 If you try to paste this into n-Track it will be out of sync slightly because it can't place the part to the offsets higher resolution. Setting the clock in n-Track to "Custom" to 1000 will set your clock to the same resolution clock in Reaper, then when your import a file from Reaper or any other program that has any different levels of timing resolution offset, you can place it with confidence. n-Track also support samples which is it's highest resolution. Setting this highest setting can be useful for those situations where you must be able to make super fine adjustments, especially at high magnification.

I hope that helps explain a few things. :cool:

PACO

Thanks for this, Paco. I have looked into your suggestion but cannot report an improvement in midi note/part placement accuracy. Altering the FPS appears to alter the number of ticks between the grid points and n by default should snap to these - which it does not. The parts/notes can, however, be dragged to the correct place, post paste.
A few other related points worth mentioning here are that at medium zoom levels (one bar per screen), when attempting to position the cursor by clicking in the time axis causes random and continuous zooming - in and/or out which in turn causes the work area to scroll up or down. At these zoom levels, there seems to be a glitch in the graphics when attempting to copy a group of notes - in that, n is copying notes outside of the selected area to the left and not copying notes in the selection area to the right. I'm also experiencing a distortion of the grid lines.

I’ve put in a message for you Tony, expect to hear something soon. Be prepared to provide all the information you can including ways to reproduce issues and staff at n-Track will help you get it sorted out. I’m not sure who the expert on the midi stuff but I’m sure they have someone there.

PACO :cool:

Quote: (Paco572 @ Mar. 03 2016, 10:55 PM)

Be prepared to provide all the information you can including ways to reproduce issues and staff at n-Track will help you get it sorted out. I'm not sure who the expert on the midi stuff but I'm sure they have someone there.

Tony,
here the expert of midi stuff
:D

Please contact us at support@ntrack.com and please completely describe us the issue regarding midi note placement accurancy.
We'll try to work on it in one of the next release.

Best,

Marco