Version 4.2 changing speed of new recorded tracks?

What am I doing wrong?

I have downloaded version 4.2, and have tried to record a couple of things.
The first was adding to a track from a CD which I had been recording in a Studio. When I recorded a new track and played back, the freshly recorded track got faster. I tried ‘time stretching’ the track but this did not work at all.
I re-recorded my track a few times but to no avail.
I then tried to record a piano track onto a song where I had programmed a MIDI drum track.
Again on replay, the freshly recorded track got faster.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a bug in teh new software? and How do I ‘time stretch’ a track properly?

Thanks ???

Hi Tradfad:
You have to make sure you are setting the “Sample Rate” of your set-up correctly… The CD will have a rate of 44.1khz… that is if it’s a playable wave file… If it’s a data file do a properties on the file to see if it is a 48khz file or a 44.1 khz. file…

That’s something I can suggest for you to look at… with the issue you have…

Bill…

Thanks woxnerw.

I have had a look at the sampling frequency and it is indeed 44100 as you say. I also had my recording speed set to this but the recorded track still sped up.

Also, on the second song where this occurred, the midi drum track was the first track down on the song. The settings were not changed between this first drum track and the second track which was a piano one. I am really confused as to why the second ‘piano’ track played back at a faster speed than the first ‘drum’ track.

Any ideas?

I have also had the problem that you are having. The problem showed up in two situations. (1) I used Hammerhead to create a drum track from sampled drums, and imported it as a wavefile into ntrack. It played perfectly as long as it was the only track in the project, but would slow down every time I added another track to the project. (2) I recorded an audio track (which played back properly), and then tried to record a midi track (keyboard triggering the Microsoft GS wavetable synth). During playback, as soon as the first midi note played, the audio track would slow down. In the first case, even when the bit rate of two tracks was set to be exactly the same, I saw the slowdown. BUT The Hammerhead audio file was 16 bit resolution while the audio I was recording with ntrack was 32 bit. It seems to me that ntrack is having trouble handling the differing bit depths. I could open either track using Audacity as a plug in within Ntrack and they played properly. I have a suspicion that the Microsoft synth was generating 16 bit sounds, so the problem with the midi is also related to bit-resolution. One would think that it would be possible to set resolution for everything to 16 and the problem would go away. But when I got around to trying this (i.e. fiddling with drivers etc.), other problems started cropping up, and I got frustrated and ditched the whole project. But still, I would suggest recording everything at 16 bit resolution to see if that helps. By the way I still like ntrack - I just avoid doing certain things now

Hi Tradfad:
I’ve been thinking about your reply to this topic…

I’m not the final say here… I just come up with even more questions… There are some clever guys up here that might be able to put their finger on your issue…

I’m just “Bumping” the topic…

Mabey, you might want to go into the “Settings” and look at what BOXES you have checkmarked in “Options” There you’ll see two boxes … You might want to play with USE System timer for either Playback time or Record time… This might help your issue…

I have the box marked Recording time in my config panel… I don’t know if that’s right-or-wrong… Mabey someone can help us both with this question…

Bill…

Hi tspringer:
I lurk on several Boards including the Audacity Board… There was an interesting topic that flew by there yesterday… It had TO-DO with Windows Media Player v10… and it’s ability to stream audio without “Skipping”…

Well… I think MicroSoft has an issue that needs to be addressed with v10 … I only upgraded to v10 over the past couple of weeks… mabey, three weeks… I had no issues with v9 and earlier builds of WMP But now I have issues with my audio… but… not all the time… I think IT has a bering on how “Busy” my audio desk is from Time-to-Time…

Somebody’s got to nail this down and get the audio boys over at WMP v10 at Microsoft to do something with “Fixing” this up…

Anything TO-DO with apps. running in XP and WMA and any other applications, (To Do with Audio) are vunnerable to how MicroSoft “Codes” their Operating System…

I stand corrected… But that’s what I think…

I know this is O.T. to this thread… But… are there any comments to what I am saying, regarding this??

Bill…

They have done something to fix WMP 10 …

WMP 11.

I had a chance last week to play with a Beta of WMP 11 and it’s a thing of beauty. I, for one, can’t wait for it to come out.

People have been calling it an iTunes killer and, judging from the Beta, they’re not far from the truth.

Hi sticknick:
After googling for Windows Media Player v11 I came up with “Frills” to the appearence of v10.0 But nothing concrete saying there has been a performance improvment to make IT v11… with streaming modifications…

I seemed to notice the streaming issues right after updating to WMP v10. If the streaming issue occures while streaming one track … then streaming several tracks in a multi-track editor is gonna be magnified by the number of tracks on a timeline of any Multi-Track editor… as well, I think my DESK (XP) Home, began to intermittentlly Search for (Auto-Play) just about that Point-in-Time. This Pop-Up Screen is pressing all the Buttons in my nervious system… As well, I think it’s taxing my resourses at some critical time when I’m trying to “Stream/Record” Audio/Data Files from my drives. I am unable to find where to turn off this random… “Searching” for Auto-Play… XP Desk pop-up… screen…

The only thing left for me to try is… Un-installing WMP v10 and Re-installing WMP v9.xx… or something like that… to see if that improves n-Track’s “streaming” issues… for my set-up…

Bill…