version 4

hows it going

okay i finally downloaded v4 this weekend
i’d been keeping with 3.3 for as long as possible to avoid any buggy early v4

first thought is that rewire seems to work a little better
previously when i cliked anywhere on the slave apps timeline
n track would shoot off to the thousandth measure or something crazy like that, now both seem to be synchronized! (that is n tracks sequencer and
reasons sequencer, the latter i prefere to use to control reason rather than creating midi tracks in ntrack and routing them back to reason)
also when closing down your given more of a chance to close the slave application.

however whenever i close (properly) a project that is rewired and immediately open another rewired project.(by closing the rewire slave and then choseing

-file- open-etc.) in n track, it crashes

aslo cant seem to uncheck the keep midi devices open box
it just keeps rechecking itself and every time i open ntrack i’m greeted with “error opening midi in device” (?)

also i decided to launch a vsti to see what happend (never ever ever got this to work properly in 3.3) anyhoo all was looking good but when i selected the

piano roll view and decided to click a few keys to hear the instrument, the mixer, which was in the “window” behind the piano roll began to leak through

the vertical keyboard and instead of any keys being pressed i ended up muting soloing or changing eq or levels on whatever channel strip was “behind” the

piano roll. cliking the little mixer button on the toolbar solved this, but it would bug me if i’d to do that everytime!

overall i’m quite excited about v4 looks like it should be valuable update for me but have only really tinkered with it for bout
45 mins, not recording anything

so i suppose what i’m really getting to is asking people (especially especially if they make a lot of use of rewire (with reason or other) and vsti’s
how is version 4 working out. should i ditch my v4 demo and go back to 3.3 for another while or is 4 shaping up to be any manner of beast.
i’m afraid i have to ask because i work on a laptop and while my soundcard midi keyboard guitars mic’s etc are sitting in my flat in dublin i’m
at home in the country right now!!

also i read on the forum stg about the snapping to grid fuction not working too well but just snapping to the next measure?? is that still the case?
any replies would be interesting, i’ve been out of the loop re this forum and progression of n track since bout september so i’m bit behind
thanks all
jaems

Quote (james kelly @ Feb. 12 2005,17:05)
aslo cant seem to uncheck the keep midi devices open box
it just keeps rechecking itself and every time i open ntrack i'm greeted with "error opening midi in device" (?)

Are you using the 4.04 beta build? I noticed this problem in the beta build, but not in the official 4.03 build (1746) (*EDIT: Oops, I just saw it in 1746! Sorry..*) , so I'm going to put in a bug report for this today. About the "error opening midi in device"--I was seeing it on a Win 98 PC I have, and found out today that enabling the on-board MIDI port (even though I didn't plan to use it) made the error go away. FWIW...
should i ditch my v4 demo and go back to 3.3 for another while or is 4 shaping up to be any manner of beast.
*EDIT: removed blabber about not trying the beta builds unless you intend to report bugs, since I can't assume what version you're using by the bugs you saw*

HTH!

Tony
*EDIT: removed blabber about not trying the beta builds unless you intend to report bugs, since I can't assume what version you're using by the bugs you saw*

HTH!

Tony
More blabber--it looks like the sticky "Keep MIDI Devices open" issue was fixed in build 1765 :D Too bad I can't try it out until I get home tonight! :(

Tony

Scantee,

I’m having similar problems.

Every time I start or exit n-Track I get the following 3 errors:
error openning midi in device
Error unpreparing MIDI header when closing device
Error unpreparing MIDI header when closing device

The errors also happen when I enter end exit the preferences dialog.

turned off metronome
recording mode to Audio Only
disabled any midi devices in MIDI preferences tab.

24 bit - 4.0.4 build 1772

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Chris.

When Ver 4 came out, there was a lot of discussion about high CPU% usages. Has that problem been cured? What are the features in ver 4 that truly necessitate an upgrade? I would gladly spend the money, but what I have now (ver 3.3) is working well and I am wondering whether the upgrade is a smart move. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Paul

Hey Paul,

By taking out some of the default bells and whistles in ver 4, I have gotten the CPU usage down to 3-5% above 3.3’s CPU usage for the projects I’ve tried. I can’t speak for everyone though, of course, so YMMV–I myself wouldn’t mind hearing what others have experienced. I outlined briefly what I did in this thread.

Also, a new feature in ver 4 directly related to reducing CPU usage is the track freeze/unfreeze feature. It’s a simple “one-click” way of transparently rendering a track and it’s effects to a temporary wave file to cut down on real-time CPU processing on a track-by-track basis. The latest N-track manual has some details on this. You can also use it with Aux channels (and maybe groups?), but I haven’t really worked with that myself.

You might also scan through the change log here to see what other features have been added over the months (interspersed among the bug-fixes, of course).

Overall, though ver 4 is really getting more and more favorable reviews now, I’d play it safe with the upgrade and be sure you keep your 3.3 installer, reg codes, and config file backups just in case you decide ver 4 ain’t cutting it for you and your setup.

HTH!

Tony

The new “fractional CPU” meter in build 1795 and later makes a big difference. I’m back down to where I was on V3.3 as far as CPU usage now with that fix.

Thanks for the answer! I installed 4.0.4 build 1811 today and purchased the upgrade… haven’t gotten the codes yet, though. It did crash my PC once when I had a virus scanning running as well, and rebooted my PC. Has done some other slightly “strange” things as well like not playing one of the tracks… then when I hit Stop and then Play again, the track played. Win XP SP1, Intel D865 motherboard, 3.2Ghz CPU with HT, and 1Gb RAM.

Ok, this is not good. Anybody having any ideas I would love to know what they are. I just recorded my first audio track on Ver 4.0.4 after using 3.3 successfully for quite awhile. Tracks 1 and 2 are a composite track of guitar, bass, and drums. Track 3 is lead vocal. Track 1 WAV file runs from time 0.00 til 3:00 or so, after which Track 2 takes over. Track 3 extends throughout the entire song. On playback on Track 2 (NOT the vocal track) I get a Daffy Duck sound which is my voice compressed in time about four-fold and raised about 3 octaves. If I mute Track 2 it goes away… THERE ARE NO WAV FILES in this section of Track 2!!! Any ideas what is going on? I just now saved the sng file, closed out of n-track, then re-opened the sng file… Daffy is now gone away. Scary!! If I then try and change the effects of a given track while n-track is playing I get heavy buzzing noises!

i have never tried v 4 but that same thing happened to me before. what i did is find wich track causes it (mute each track) then i found out it was an FX problem, i forgot what FX. removed the plug problem gone. hope this helps…

As far as Daffy goes, thanks for the reply but there were no effects on that track! Just an MP3 file converted into a WAV file. There MAY have been effects on track 3 last night, possibly reverb, but I can’t remember right now. But I will keep it in mind.
Paul

Probably a stupid question, but could this be a problem with your conversion from mp3 to wav? Have you listened to the wav file in Win Media Player (or something similar) to check that the file itself sounds the way it should?

Cheers,

What sample rate did you use when you converted the mp3?

If you have your project at say 48Khz and then load a 44Khz wav into the song then it will sound funny.
all your wav file need to be the same sample rate (can be different bit depths - eg. mixture of 16, 24 and 32) but all need to be 44, 48, 96Khx etc…

Media player (or any other audio player) may play the file by itself ok.

You need to know what sample rate the file that id giving you the problem is…
If you have DBPoweramp installed doing a mouse over in Explorer will tell you the sample rate.
Make sure it is the same as wevery other wav filein your song.

Rich

well I may as well throw my 2 cents in, although I’m a new user, and I never used earlier builds so I’m not sure how this version behaves differently…

I’ve had a few random crashes, either N Track locks up with a sudden spike to 100% CPU usage, or the software just closes. This has happened a couple times while adding a plug-in.

Tracks have become weirdly jumbled and “un-synched” somehow. I just hit undo and its back to normal.

What is the best way to install a new build? I already have v4, how can I install build 1811 from 4/2?

Quote (TelevisionFission @ April 07 2005,12:36)
What is the best way to install a new build? I already have v4, how can I install build 1811 from 4/2?

I've always just downloaded the installer and double-clicked it to install over the existing build. No problems thus far.

TG

Installing over the top is the way it’s designed to work. But if things don’t go well, reinstalling over-top might not solve the problem. When that happens, i tend to uninstall, reboot, move the FaSoft folder out of Program Files, run a registry cleaner (my current favorite is CCLeaner), reboot, and then install N fresh.

teej