Version Recommendation

I messed with n-track over a year ago and am ready to get back at it with some seriousness. I own the codes to 3.x and 4.x and was wondering if you regular users have a version recommendation. I will be using a laptop with 1.7G processor, 256 RAM, and an Indigo IO sound card.

Thanks for any and all of your thoughts.

if you do not have the need for drum machine ,version 3 is a good bet,good operation.easy to use,alot of people here had good luck with versions 4 also,version 5 is still in development,and while it works well still may have some issues

Contradictory advice here…

Go for the latest version (v5). Support will be better, bugs will get fixed, features will be more advanced and you are in a better position for any future upgrades.

X

I don’t really want to update to 5 right now. There are like five different versions of 4.x. I’ve read their descriptions, but Im wondering if one version is inherently better than another -more stable, less quirkey, uses less resources, etc.

Thanks

I’ve heard more about stability and straight-up simple operation about v3.3. I had some issues with v4.x, and so have a lot of users. Not everyone though! But there are a lot of different machines here, and I’m not hip to the spec preferences for v4.

There must be a commonality to the problems some have faced, and I’d say it’s simply obvious that v5, the current issue, will get any attention. But for my own purpose, v3.3 is just fine. I’m a little more comfortable doing some of my work in other apps, but n-Track v3 is a real good one. I like it for recording and getting roughed-in.

The upgrade path is not really something I’m much interested in. I don’t think it’s necessary if you’re already working effectively…

Hi harphunt:
It would be my opinion that the latest version and build of n-Track should always be employed when installing-and-using it for recording-and-editing your tracks…

The reason being… the latest build will always have the latest coding which should “Super-cede” any previous builds and work with the latest drivers and installed hardware… I believe that most software failures and poor behaviour is caused by any combinations of of any-or-all of these principals…

In my way of thinking… Going back to any older build or version is “Opening” the door to poor behaviour of your DAW, no matter how new-or-old it is…

That’s what I think…

Bill…

Quote (Sloom @ Oct. 21 2006,11:21)
I've heard more about stability and straight-up simple operation about v3.3. I had some issues with v4.x, and so have a lot of users. Not everyone though! But there are a lot of different machines here, and I'm not hip to the spec preferences for v4.

There must be a commonality to the problems some have faced, and I'd say it's simply obvious that v5, the current issue, will get any attention. But for my own purpose, v3.3 is just fine. I'm a little more comfortable doing some of my work in other apps, but n-Track v3 is a real good one. I like it for recording and getting roughed-in.

The upgrade path is not really something I'm much interested in. I don't think it's necessary if you're already working effectively...

I'm with Sloom. 3.3 is the only way to go if you need absoulute stability. 4.x was worthless here. I bought 5.0 after a fairly good experience with the beta. Positive results at first, but not sure it if it will be worth it, still a lot of probs, time will tell.

IMHO, video is n-Tracks Achille's heel. Spend a half hour figuring how to lose the "eye candy", and you will have a better experiance.

HTH, Jeff

I appreciate your thoughts and views given for what may seem to some as a non-issue. I like the simplicity of 3.3 (less things to confuse me), but like the multiband compressor that came with 4.x. I should probably just go ahead and start working with 3.3 and “move up” on a need-to basis. Are there those of you that still use 3.x despite the newer versions?

Thanks again

(soapbox 101)

I upgraded from 3.3 to 4.x because I had to upgrade from 16 bit to 24 bit and from what I was hearing on the forum, 4.x was OK. It wasn’t until much later that I began hearing the horror stories from the other users about 4.x. Unfortunately I discovered that you can’t go back, once you’ve invested many, many hours tracking and mixing and fine tuning the mix - simply because 4.x sng files are not downward compatible with 3.x. The groups I work with would probably lynch me if I suggested going back to the stable 3.x.

So, until I’m certain that 5.x is either very stable or backward compatible, I won’t upgrade. Although 4.x isn’t perfect, it is tolerable for now.

(/soapbox 101)

Paul

True about loading song files from more current versions backwards into earlier versions. And I guess the 24-bit is a good idea. Me normally a purist and an overkill proponent, saying “I guess”… :D But the basic approach of v3 is great. And yes, it is very stable.

But… go for it! If this app is going to get it’s com-uppance for real, Flav is going to have to work the little issues out of the system, so it’s a matter of time and some patience. n-Track is, essentially, a very good program. Many swear it’s way ahead of the general curve for ease of use and sound quality. My only complaints have mostly been about visuals and an occasional “Has to Close” window. Unfortunately for me, that’s enough to stop my action. My bad, maybe.