Vertical piano roll?

I’ve never even thought of vertical for audio tracks, I can’t see any value to that myself. Anyone else? But seeing the piano layed out left to right, instead of top to bottom… that’s all I’m talking about, just for MIDI stuff.
Paul

Right, Paul. I was asking Mwah.

Quote (learjeff @ July 13 2006,17:46)
What would be the virtue of a vertical timeline for audio tracks?

Jeff,

they would line up nicely with the mixer channels.

<!–QuoteBegin>

they would line up nicely with the mixer channels

I don’t see how that’s ever relevant. Only one piano roll can be displayed at once.

Time is displayed for left to right, and is that way in every sound application I’ve ever used, and piece of music for that matter (except some experimental things). The MIDI events are time based events displayed on the timeline. I can understand the desire to have a piano keyboard display as a player would see it, but to turn the timeline so that it reads from bottom to top seems kind of wacky to me. What am I missing?

Phoo, he was talking about timeline tracks (audio and MIDI). If you display them vertically and also display the track strip for each track below it, that might be nice. But frankly, on a typical monitor there’s not enough real estate. I’m quite happy with how n-Track is now in this regard (timeline view).

Quote (Mwah @ July 15 2006,05:55)
Quote (learjeff @ July 13 2006,17:46)
What would be the virtue of a vertical timeline for audio tracks?

Jeff,

they would line up nicely with the mixer channels.

Another workaround to get the same line up is to get a vertical mixer, ala MTS.