Video and audio question

So, I have this mini DV tape of a kids holiday concert, and nice high quality recording of it in n-Track, and the school wants a DVD with the video from the one, the audio from the other, and some still photos and titles thrown in. Tell me how to do it, guys. :)

What video editing and DVD authoring software do you have?
Sony Vegas Movie Studio, Pinnacle Studio, Roxio Media Creator, MyDVD, etc.??

yup, I’m with Don on this one Tom, what software do you have?

I use Sony Vegas and Sony DVD Architect, mainly because they fit in so well with Soundforge which is my main mastering software.

Or do you mean you want to do it all in n-track? :(

Um…suppose I had Sony Vegas. I gather from your remarks that that would be a good thing to have to start with. :)

So…now what?

???

Then you’re in 7th heaven Tom. :D

I can’t recall if Vegas can handle VOB files directly, I think it can, but I’m not on my home computer at present so I can’t be sure.

I usually use Canopus Procoder to convert files into m2p format. Vegas can handle a lot of transcoding, but I find Procoder better.

So, you have your original DVD file, sound and vision, on separate tracks, and you add to your library your other sound tracks. Plus you can add still images, jpg, gif, etc., other sound files, commentary, whatever…

and now you start mixing. :) (RTFM for details).

You can pan the audio into surround, you can add video fades, fx, etc.

And then when you’re done, you use Architect to create a DVD, adding menus, scene selection, whatever.

It’s a whole new learning curve Tom. :D

OK, that is probably all overkill for what you want to do.

But, if you want to create a good looking DVD, n-track on its own just won’t cut it I’m afraid.

And if you are a rank beginner at this, you might want to go with the simplier (cheaper) version of the Sony Vegas program, Sony Vegas Movie Studio + DVD Architect Studio.

You essentially drop the media files (video, sound, pictures…etc) onto a time line and edit as much or little as you want. Then render to DVD. It is a little more complex than that, but not much more…

Good Luck,

Mike

Perfect. OK, I need to get the tape transferred to the computer, what format whoud I use?

Remember, I am a rank beginner. :)

There are many programs that will allow you to upload your video from your camera or VCR to your computer. I prefer WinDv. It is a tiny program that rarely drops any video frames. It will transfer the video as an NTSC DV AVI. This format is the same as the compression format used in MiniDV cameras and is a very good quality AVI compression.

1. You will need to connect your MiniDV Camera to your computer via firewire.

2. Turn on the camera and set it to VCR/Playback.

3. Your computer should recognise the camera.

4. Start up WinDV

5. Pick a location for the video to download (preferably a separate media Hard Drive or external Hard drive with lots of room) and put the name of the file (for example “holiday concert”) in the area of WinDv called "Capt. FIle"

6. Under “Config”, list "Max Avi Size (frames) as 1000000 AND FIlename formating leave blank with the numbering digits set as “2”.

7. Click “ok” and check the box next to the button “capture” and then click capture.

You should see the video playing on your screen (there will be no sound coming form the computer (IT IS RECORDING SOUND THOUGH!)

Do not resize or move the capture program during capturing! If you do, the program will drop frames! Otherwise you should have no dropped frames at the end of your capture session (unless you made a mistake during filming like stopping during recording, then leaving a space between video takes.)

The program will automatically cut your video up into the starts and stops you did during filming and number them according to your predetermined title (in this case "holiday concert 01, holiday concert 02…etc)

When the capture session is done you can click cancel and all that you have gathered so far will be where you chose to keep the files.

When you open Sony Vegas Studio, you can import the files as you wish and place them on the time line for editing…

It may sound complex, but once you have done it a few times, it is very easy.

Keep in mind that the Sony program comes with a capture program builtin, but I have found that program to be a bit glitchy and drop more frames than I care to lose.

good luck,

Mike

Sorry, I msiread your original post, I thought you were transferring from DVD, but I see now that it was DV tape.

Anyway, DrGuitar has it all there.

Tom,

The Doc got you almost there. After you’ve imported those video files, then you can import your nTrack mixdown wave file into Sony Movie Studio as an audio track. Then all you have to do is sync the audio with the video by moving the audio so that it matches the audio track from the DV file. This can be time-consuming and tricky. And voila! You’ve got your video with the good-sounding audio you did in nTrack.

Then you “author” the DVD with DVD Architect and you’re done. Good luck!!

Don

Good. This is do-able, even for me. I can see that really there are two aspects to the process, the technical one, which I am certain I can handle, and the artistic one - any stupid rank beginner artistic mistakes I should avoid? The video equivalent of too much reverb?

Quote (TomS @ Dec. 20 2006,18:34)
...any stupid rank beginner artistic mistakes I should avoid? The video equivalent of too much reverb?

Sony Vegas Movie Studio has a huge library of transitions... most of which should be avoided like the plague. I tend to stick to simple cross-fades and fade-ins and fade-outs. Also, if you are to use multiple titles, keep the fonts and sizes similar throughout the entire video so the feel stays consistant and professional. I tend to just copy the first title and paste it through the video where I need another title (but change the text of course to suit the situation).

Other than that, go wild!! There is no better teacher than your own foolish mistakes.... :)

Mike

Now, that’s good advice, Mike, 'cause I would have gone straight for the stock effects.

Tom,

I concur with Mike. Keep the transitions and effects minimal. A simple fade or dissolve looks much more “pro” than using a lot of wipes, etc. Nothing screams “amateur” more than overuse of all the junk that’s there.

I recently converted an old VHS tape of a club gig from several years ago to DVD using Sony Movie Studio. One of the things I did was adjust the brightness and contrast because the video was pretty dark. You might consider playing with that. It’s in the effects.

Another thing you might play with are the envelopes. I created some text frames with the name of the person in closeup and added those to a second video track in the proper place on the time line. Then I faded those over the main video using the envelopes for the video tracks. They work like th volume and aux send envelopes in nTrack. I’m not at home right now, so I can’t look at the program, and it’s been a few months since I did this, but that’s the general idea.

Have fun!!
Merry Christmas to all!!

Don

I second Mike’s suggestion. I’m using Sony’s Vegas Movie Studio+DVD Platinum edition & it’s great! It’s easy to make video’s (you can see the ones I’ve made) and it’s easy to add audio to them which is what I did.

You’ll need some authoring software once you’ve made your video. It comes with Sony DVD Architect which you will need to actually author the DVD.