Vintage Premier Drums

I need help!

This is probably not the best place to raise this but I trust you folks…

The music/guitar tuition studio where I work has been given a drum kit. It’s clearly very old and looks like the 2nd hand kits the kids in the bands I played in in the 70s had.

I’ve taken a few pics (not great) of the kit. I’ve not had the chance to set it up yet so these are the best I can do at the moment.

The drums are in canvas bags which I’ve never seen before.

The cymbals are Zildjian Avedis which looking at the stamp and checking on this site: http://www.hidehitters.com/cymbals…ESSTAMP makes them 60’s vintage.

I’ve also tried to date these from the Premier badge. I can find a close but not exact match that puts them in the 60’s.

http://s911.photobucket.com/albums/ac313/xonxoff/PremDrums/

The questions are, are these drums too valuable to let kids play on? Or are these drums too crap to let kids play on? Or both? :slight_smile:

Any comments gratefully received.

Hi MarkA:

What a find…
:agree:
:)
I believe that Premier Shells are British…
Any Premier Kits I’ve seen come through the Musicstop … way back when, was sure to take my interest…
If I was a drummer, I’d feel so right investing in a set of them…
The cymbals????

well, that’s a matter of taste…
But they look nice…
That kit looks likes they have not been abused…
not even a little…
:agree:

Those and Ludwig, would be at the top of my list…
Well…
You Know…
There’s Gretch, and Tama and other names…
BUT…

Any Drummer Hopeful, that does not show any respect, toward them, should be pointed in another direction…
Away from them…
Well…

Bill…

This looks like a job for PHOOOOOOOO! Who has the Phoo signal?

:laugh: :) :p

I Know.. I thought of him when I posted that reply.. :laugh:

I like those shells..

Bill..

Yes, Phoo, where are yooooooou?

Car 54, where are yoou?

Man, those look nice to me. I’d bet the cymbals are worth a fair amount. that’s not an informed opinion, but they just look like the kind of thing people really like. But, like I said, I don’t know very much.

Some news heads, 3 in 1 oil, and a good cleaning… I’d be happy to hit those with a stick. Though you could say that about some old girlfriends of mine too.

Quote:

The questions are, are these drums too valuable to let kids play on?

No. In my opinion there aren't any drums too valuable for kids to play on. There are however drums a more mature drummer shouldn't be allowed to get near. We....they....bash the heck out of them. Kids haven't learned to hit hard enough....yet...and if they have they're on the right track.

Quote:

Or are these drums too crap to let kids play on?

No way. Regardless of vintage you've got a great basic set. If they are truly 60's then they may be worth a little more of course. Got any serial numbers on them? Without the numbers it might be hard to know when they were really made. Some of those haven't changed a lot over the years. I found some pictures that look similar but the years were from late 50's to late 80's. The badges looks about the same. There wasn't enough other stuff to go on.

Quote:

Or both?

Neither really. Clean them up and have fun with them. I don't think you should modify them much except to replace heads until you can find out the true vintage. I don't think you have anything like a 54 Les Paul but they aren't cheap off-brands by any means. There are folks out there that covet sets like that. Those are Keith Moon specials. Even Ringo played Premier before getting his Ludwigs.

I'll take them....

:laugh:

Hey folks! I'm on vacation....it's been a while and I'm finally getting to do stuff I want to do. I routed on a guitar body today and picked up a really good digial camara at Value Village for $15. They didn't have any good audio stuff this time. It's good to be back in business. :)

You see…

:) :laugh: There are other members on this Board that has other things to do…

Bill…

But…I’m here because I have nothing else to do…
:laugh:

(y’all have no idea)

Thanks for the info folks.

I’m gonna get these setup next week and check them out. Somebody told me that the heads may not be standard sizes so I’ll be interested to see if that’s the case.

Cheers

I’d be surprised if they were not standard sized. Back in the 50’s there was the odd 17 inch tom and 23 or 23.5 inch kick, but rarely on a normal combo set.

Modern Premiers would be metric (being British) but a kit from the 60s should be Imperial (the same standard you’re used to in the States).