Virtual Glass

and eSessions

I’m just reading about this but I love the concept!
It looks like what the world needs for artists, engineers and producers.

The big boys are apparently outsourcing for recording production value.
This is possibly one why to do that.

Got your chops together? :agree: eSESSIONS

Hey Levi
Looks pretty good. Cons: I don’t have ProTools (yet).
Also the compression for realtime colab, but I bet it’s good enough.
If I had the resources neccessary, I would give it a try.
Nothing to loose, (except 20-50 bucks/mo) and lots of potential gain.
This sort of thing (virtual glass)is where it’s at as far as colab goes. And also
getting paid if you are “good enough”. Or possibly hooking up with
the right people to create/produce something commercial.
You should give it a go if you can. :)

I’ve got a couple problems, wireless connection, I would have to switch to cable to also hook up my bigger computer, probably need T1 level?!

I’ll definitely be watching this and working to hook up.
I registered to look at the forum and check the available artists producers and engineers.
There are thousands of them available, but very few posts.
One good thing about that is there are no real problem topics and the site negotiates nice.
Real time sessions would be awesome in your own environment with some good players !
ASCAP is showing promise about this program.
Offering their artists a good, discount account, with disk space.
At this point I’m thinking of picking a producer/engineer, and a couple players.
Oh and maybe a singer lol
To keep the three piece setup.
And start a 3 song demo project.
That would be plan A,
take some baby steps and see what happens.
They rate the artist by accomplishments.
I’ve haven’t done any session work with any of the majors.
So going in with an indi status will be an automatic overlook.
But there is always the fun aspect!!!
And you can always get the ball rollin with your own projects.

Oh, you don’t need pro’tools!
They vigorously emphasize that any good software program would work. They have a protools icon button to start your software program. But they don’t mean ‘ProTools’ specifically, they mean in general. The button should probably say “Pro’s tools” or "artists tools"
I’m sure nTrack would be fine.

Woops, it does look like protools software is needed for vGlass. Bummer!

the only way I’ll do it is if T. Levin plays stick on every session.

In the video they say that a “cross platform vst” is coming soon.
So it could be done with n.

Edit: I just have to say, I wish I were in on the development of that - it is one heck of a good product. Thanks for the link!

Yeh I wansn’t sure if v-glass was PT’s only.
And PT’s is Apple only - right?
So I’d have to get a whole new rig. Not impossible,
but not likely anytime soon.
But if like TomS says they get a cross platform
plug set up, then I’ll go crash the scene.
Imagine plunking down your $$$ - then gettin
hooked up with Dubious - ahhhhhh :laugh:

Right and it’s only available for mac users at this time.

However to use the esession which inclues buyer protection, the search features, access to colab personell producers engineers etc. Your good with your current daw setup.
In 1-09 v/glass will require the 19 bucks per month membership.
That is when they are projecting a windows friendly, studio friendly plugin.

So:
For eSessions, your good as is.
Not free, monthly fee.
For vGlass, needs mac and protools at this time.
Free untill Jan 09 for mac users with protools.
And I believe you can hookup with other users free untill Jan 09 if your a session member lol which does not make it free! Maybe to jam.
Check that.

Their latest developement:

Virtual Glass version 1.2.1 Read Me

In a commercial studio, the engineer operates the equipment in a control room while the musicians, separated by a glass partition, perform their parts. Virtual Glass™ uses the Internet as the high-tech equivalent to the glass partition between engineer and musician. Its 3D design depicts a recording console and a “virtual glass” partition that functions as a video screen, so even the least tech-savvy user feels right at home using the plug-in for real time sessions.

To use Virtual Glassâ„¢, you need a recording program, a high-speed Internet connection, a Web camera, and an eSession user account. Installation is simple, and there's no copy protection. The software works with any Mac-compatible Built-in, USB or FireWire camera for real-time video; the camera mic enables voice communication with the talent.

Virtual Glassâ„¢ is available for Mac OS X in RTAS, VST, and AU plug-in formats. Windows versions will be released in the first quarter of 2009. Virtual Glass version 1.2 adds Latency Compensation so that new tracks are recorded and monitored in sync with existing tracks, as well as accurate Rewire synchronization for linking two workstations' timeline playback.

eSession CEO Gina Fant-Saez recently introduced eSession and Virtual Glassâ„¢ to the music industry in Tokyo and Osaka, Japan. In live demos, she recorded with renowned artist and technology guru Thomas Dolby, in real time, from his studio in the UK. Dolby is using Virtual Glassâ„¢ to produce his latest album using eSession talent, including drummer Pat Mastelotto, Grammyâ„¢-winning engineer Tchad Blake, and guitarist Kevin Armstrong. “Virtual Glass has pushed forward online collaboration technology to the point where I can work with another musician who’s thousands of miles away, while feeling the sensation that [the musician] is right there in the booth next to me,” says Dolby. “Now I can live and record somewhere safe, cheap, and beautiful and still have access to the world’s greatest musicians.”

Virtual Glassâ„¢ is free for eSession members until Q1 2009, after which it will be part of eSession subscription packages. A Gold subscription for eSession is $19.95 per month.
___

:whistle:
:laugh: darn im seein double :laugh:
Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Dec. 01 2008, 7:28 PM)

Yeh I wansn't sure if v-glass was PT's only.
And PT's is Apple only - right?
So I'd have to get a whole new rig. Not impossible,
but not likely anytime soon.
plug set up, then I'll go crash the scene.
hooked up with Dubious - ahhhhhh :laugh:

:laugh:
You can be a registered member like I am at no charge.
That gives you access to the database.
Then you could eSession now if you wanted.
It would be like a controlled colab.
They have a huge database.

tom -
i thought tony levin was a bassist (see: great bass lines on peter gabriel’s So). did i miss something?

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Dec. 01 2008, 7:28 PM)

Yeh I wansn't sure if v-glass was PT's only.

And PT's is Apple only - right? - NOPE PT LE and HD is available for PC Windows users.

plug set up, then I'll go crash the scene. - It could happen!
hooked up with Dubious - ahhhhhh :laugh: - Dubious ain't wasting his money there! :(

Dubious knows his limitations...

Crap... speaking in the third person... sound like a blinkin' rapper...

Oh yeah, if you buy into this thing, you best have a smokin' HOT ISP to go along with the heap of cash you're gonna need.

D

Okay guys… did any of you go to http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and run a check on your ISP speed as eSession recommends?

Mine:

527 kbps download
245 kbps upload

Required for Virtual Glass:

1.5 Mbps download
384 kbps upload

There’s no way this thing would work here. I’m on cable. Buy myself a T1 at a couple hunnert bucks a month? Nope…

Check this stuff out good before you dive in… buyer beware! Once again, I am dubious as to the value of such a “service” to “Average Joe” musician.

D

Mine was 2640 kbps download 515 up. Qwest DSL on my wireless laptop.

But heck - I cain’t even get wav files from Flint - so what good is a eSession?
:p

Hey… that’s pretty good Poppa! That’s wireless to what Wi-Fi WAP/router to a DSL modem?

I’ve often wondered if my WAP/Router is not slowing me down… I really don’t want to try to run CAT6 cable all over the place…

D

Dell internal wireless to DSL modem.

d 1563
I’m pretty close with my wireless.

u 369

This is great! I can get behind something like this because it’s cool and it also gives music folk a way to generate more revenue.
There has to be some competition for this service out there somewhere.

My internet speeds are 5 Mbps down, 2 Mbps up. Even then, I probably won’t be signing up for this. I’m not that good! :D