Virtual mixing

Maybe a new toy for me…

Thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.focusrite.com/products/vrm/vrm_box/

Any opinions?

My opinion is; I want one.

Bubba!?

Quote: (spreadercraig @ Apr. 28 2011, 2:11 PM)

Thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.focusrite.com/products/vrm/vrm_box/

Any opinions?

It's a great idea, Craig - monitor sim and for just a tad under
£80.
What cans would you use with it?

If it does what it says, it’s brilliant.

id use my usual closed back seinheisers…quite cheap but seem pretty accurate…
i was kind of hoping someone had used it, but i guess it must be quite new.

Try tapeop?

http://magazine.dv247.com/2011/03/08/focusrite-vrm-box-review/

Oh, I want this! Available at Sweetwater for US$100 (no Canadian distributors as yet) I think I will chance dealing with customs and place an order.

This is a BRILLIANT idea.

Yes. I too will be on the phone tomorrow. :)

Me too.
Reviews at the ready.

Well, it has been agreed that this will be a Father’s Day present, and FD arrives here in June…(do you folks in other, saner countries celebrate Father’s Day? Or is it just a Hallmark card holiday for the USA/)

Quote: (TomS @ May 01 2011, 6:17 AM)

(do you folks in other, saner countries celebrate Father's Day?
Or is it just a Hallmark card holiday for the USA/)

Well I had two last year. One in the UK and one in NZ. So yes, we have it but I think the timing is different.
Quote: (TomS @ Apr. 30 2011, 11:17 AM)

Well, it has been agreed that this will be a Father's Day present, and FD arrives here in June...(do you folks in other, saner countries celebrate Father's Day?
Or is it just a Hallmark card holiday for the USA/)

Yes. We have Carlton Card day.

Meh, I will be surprised if it lives up to the hype. You are still going to be limited to the headphones at hand, so I am not sure what the real benefit will be.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ May 02 2011, 1:16 PM)

Meh, I will be surprised if it lives up to the hype. You are still going to be limited to the headphones at hand, so I am not sure what the real benefit will be.

DT100?

Hhmm…I dunno. Pro studio guys may not see the benefit but for us home studio peeps who know their setup and know their cans I think this will help. It will certainly save me having to listen to a mix for ages in the van, then switching to the home hi fi etc…

Quote: (spreadercraig @ May 02 2011, 6:27 PM)

Hhmm...I dunno. Pro studio guys may not see the benefit but for us home studio peeps who know their setup and know their cans I think this will help. It will certainly save me having to listen to a mix for ages in the van, then switching to the home hi fi etc...

Yeah, man. I'm in the same boat, Craig. But I reckon Bubba, given the info, and cans spec, could shine some light on the pros and cons.
If the ideology of in-put sim (amp/cab/mic/room-size, etc) is real, then, so should be, the out-put. First you need a common middle.

The idea is sound. Execution may be lacking. But this is pretty cutting edge, and I expect, like all things digital, that it will only get better over time. I mean, I actually use a POD now. :laugh:

Well, the thing is, you will need pretty good cans. If a pair of headphones is crappy under 100Hz, no amount of processing will magically make the headphones able to physically change and produce frequencies under 100Hz. See where I am going here? I am not saying it is worthless, I would just be very surprised if it works as well as they want you to think it does. And maybe I missed this, but how do they know the specs of the headphones? Is there a “K240” versus “MDR-7506” preset sort of deal? As the K240s are pretty balanced and the MDRs are bass heavy for instance. You have to know the playback system to be able to adjust properly.