Virtual mixing

If that’s not a feature, it ought to be.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ May 03 2011, 10:27 AM)

Well, the thing is, you will need pretty good cans. If a pair of headphones is crappy under 100Hz, no amount of processing will magically make the headphones able to physically change and produce frequencies under 100Hz. See where I am going here? I am not saying it is worthless, I would just be very surprised if it works as well as they want you to think it does. And maybe I missed this, but how do they know the specs of the headphones? Is there a "K240" versus "MDR-7506" preset sort of deal? As the K240s are pretty balanced and the MDRs are bass heavy for instance. You have to know the playback system to be able to adjust properly.

I'm widjuh, Bubba, that's why I threw in the the bog-standard BD DT100's as a starting point.

Hi Bill Clarke:

Seems like Erikson Audio (Jam Industries)21000 TransCanada Highway
Baie D’Urfé Quebec Canada H9X 4B7

001-514-457-2555

could be a Canadian Distributor for this Stuff…

They have a Saffire Pro 24 Audio Interface that looks fascinating…
I wonder what that ToY would set you back ????
It’s on the link that spreadercraig originally posted…

Bill…

Well, who got it yet?

Quote: (TomS @ May 03 2011, 4:46 PM)

Well, who got it yet?

I've gone momentarily cold on it;-)

I’ve gone momentarily cashless! :laugh:

I’m deffo having one. It will add another dimension to my set up. I know my cans and speakers reasonably well now, but on my last recording dipped on the bass. I would have caught that had I ran it through different speaker set ups. Also…I can’t afford any really good monitors.

Having said that I need a pre amp / compressor first I think… And I’m currently in Tenerife so can’t order owt !

Bill the audio interface can be bought as a package with this…maybe cheaper than seperate. Internet connection is hit and miss here so can’t delve further until the weekend when I’m back.

Quote: (spreadercraig @ May 03 2011, 5:31 PM)

I'm deffo having one. It will add another dimension to my set up. I know my cans and speakers reasonably well now, but on my last recording dipped on the bass. I would have caught that had I ran it through different speaker set ups. Also...I can't afford any really good monitors.

Having said that I need a pre amp / compressor first I think... And I'm currently in Tenerife so can't order owt !

Bill the audio interface can be bought as a package with this...maybe cheaper than seperate. Internet connection is hit and miss here so can't delve further until the weekend when I'm back.

Craig! Dude! Your mixes are always superb. And. I can't wait to hear your review. I'll hit the "pay now" button on your thumbs-up;-)

What are you looking at for a preamp/compressor?

Dunno yet Tom til I get home and have a good search.
Any ideas?

Budget?

Home studio budget! Around 200usd … Second hand is good… :laugh:

Do you want a channel strip, or separate components?

Channel strip if poss. All one unit

Joe Meek 3Q?

DBX 286S?

Quote: (TomS @ May 05 2011, 8:59 AM)

DBX 286S?

I have one of those. It's a nice bit of kit. Me likey.
Quote: (TomS @ May 04 2011, 1:31 PM)

Joe Meek 3Q?

One of these on eBay for
£90 ($148)... Is that good?

Yes, I think so, they’re 250 USA dollars new here in the USA. Keep in mind that it is an optical compressor, for what it’s worth. Review here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb05/articles/joemeekthreeq.htm

Thanks Tom. Sounds good to me. :agree: