Virtual Scream!

I mean screen…

Not a horror movie question. Does anyone know of a utility that can do software panning and zooming within a virtual screen?

By that I mean the program would allow virtual screen resolution to be set so objects that are off screen could be panned over to. I know some older graphics cards had this feature but it was part of the driver.

I’m not referring the programs like Hydravision by ATI which allow for switching between a number of virtual desktops. The program I’m looking for is hardware independent and ideal for use with N because you can have a wide track window that won’t fit on yor actual screen but can be panned.

thanks
no cents

i cant understand at all, sorry my english, but you are looking for a “Virtual desktops” proggie that allows have diffrent screen resolutions in each desktop?

Is there something of this here?
http://www.nonags.com/nonags/deskshell.html

Hey Marce,

The programs you linked to are the “virtual desktop” variety and some of them are very good.

Maybe it would be easier to understand if I called what I’m looking for a “virtual screen.” This means that the space visible is less than the space thats avalable so you can pan to parts that are currently off screen.

Programs like this don’t seem to be common anymore but are excellent for multitrack recording because you can resize your program window to be very wide and go far off screen. Then you can pan to the parts you want to see. This is a cheap alternative to having a dual monitor setup.

nocents

Wow. I’ve been through all the major shareware websites and it doesn’t look like program like this exists. All of them are virtual desktops where you can have many switchable desktops running different programs on each.

What I’m looking for would be of interest to users of N or any multitrack program who only have a single monitor. Increasing the desktop resolution beyond the actual screen resolution is something thats built into a lot of Linux software (X Windows among others) and still available for mac os but it looks like its unknown in the pc world.

no cents

nocents…i know what you are describing, but i don’t know where you can get any software that does what you want.

marce…i think a good example of what nocents is looking for is the satellite view on google maps which lets you pan from one side of a city to the next…if you havent been there it is worth a visit. the software they use is called “keyhole” i think. but i dont know if there is anything similar available commercially. it would be pretty useful if you only have one vid monitor.

SDesk…Not the best implementation, maybe, but technically it qualifies…and it’s free!

:cool:

Tony

Quote (nocents @ May 16 2005,12:31)
Wow. I've been through all the major shareware websites and it doesn't look like program like this exists. All of them are virtual desktops where you can have many switchable desktops running different programs on each.

What I'm looking for would be of interest to users of N or any multitrack program who only have a single monitor. Increasing the desktop resolution beyond the actual screen resolution is something thats built into a lot of Linux software (X Windows among others) and still available for mac os but it looks like its unknown in the pc world.

no cents

I got you with the Linux example.

Maybe you are looking in the wrong side. I have seen this feature in 2 or 3 win proggies, but they wasnt virtual desktops, they was shell replacement i tryed in the past, but sincerely i cant remember wich ones... :(

Maybe look for any linux desktop adapted to windows. Im not sure, but i believe that "Litestep" had a plugin for that (if not, google their forum, for sure the guys there will know). Also i remember a linux adaptation called "WinStep" that is a clone of NextStep.

Hope it helps your search, and please let us know when you found something.

I will try your Scroll desk Scantee

Thanks for the suggestions and info Marce and Scantee. Sdesk is an interesting program and I like the idea better than virtual desktops but it doesn’t allow programs to be stretched. If you spend some time setting up hot keys and other settings its good.

If you look up virtual screens in Source Forge there are a few very good free virtual desktops. VirtuWin is one of them.

When I started looking into shell replacements the results were overwhelming. Its like a whole world of activity I didn’t even know existed. I saw Talisman and maybe a dozen other good commercial shell replacements. Then there are the new OS X-like “interactive widget” add-ons like the one by Stardoc. There’s even a 3-d shell replacement that has dozens of desktops available at once on your “apartment” wall which you can navigate best with a joystick. Its a cool concept. Aside from those are all the free shells like the ones Marce listed.

The only thing is, as nice as all this stuff is, its not really important for audio work unless it can lighten the CPU load- and none of them seem to have virtual resolutions available.

Marce, I’ll look into the more Linux-based shells. They might have what we’re looking for.

no cents

a little typing error: is “VirtuaWin” the name (i google for virtuwin and nothing) in case anyone is interested.

No cents, tell us what you learn, im really like this topic (i remember some years ago downloaded something like 20 or 30 proggies about the topic to test… yeaph, i now has two childs, and im very pleased with the windows standar shell… :D