Vista and N

I had to buy a new computer (old motherboard sizzled)…3.3 does not work properly…is there any fix to this?

PS- not a lot of cash laying around for upgrade :-{ TIA!

hey Frank - I just went through the same thing with a crash and new Vista computer - I had just upgraded to ver 5 so I was fortunate to be able to re-download and re install - new version works fine for me with Vista - my Tascam Us 122 was my only hitch with Vista.

I have found Flavio (the owner/designer of the program) to be very helpful in situations like these. If you have your old codes, registration info etc. you might email him and see if he might give you a break - he did for me a long time ago when 50 bucks was a fortune for me.

Flavio Antonioli <info@ntrack.com

He sent me codes for the demo version one time and I was so impressed I went ahead and ordered a full version. That kind of a guy will earn my loyalty.

I am not sure 3.3 works with Vista. (Vista not even being released back then)

The upgrade is definitely worth it though I believe it was $25 (to go to 24bit) can anyone confirm that?

Unfortunately upgrading computers often includes upgrading software.

If your going to use Firewire or USB Interfaces or other higher end soundcard/intefaces in the future your going to need 24.bit at the least, Vista is capable of 64 far as I know.(which began in version 4.2)

As Poppa said Flav is a reasonable man, I believe my upgrade for XP from 2.3 16bit to 5. 24bit was $25 and well worth it, I needed the “Net.framework” which is included in Vista though.
Basically Flav will get you up and running one way or another he is loyal to his customers.

Hey if you set up a paypal account we will all take a collection up for ya! I’ll put in the first $5 to get it started… :)

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

He had to do an increase Jeremy if you recall. Same price now for 16 or 24 bit. $64.00

+++++++++++

Upgrading from a previous version

* If you registered to an older (pre v5.0) version of n-Track Studio you can upgrade to v5.x for just $34

Frequently Asked Questions about registering n-Track Studio

Q: What happens if I need to re-install n-Track for some reason (e.g., hard drive crash, upgrade to new computer, etc)?
A: When you register the program you’ll receive a set of registration codes that you can use to reinstall the program any number of times, even if you change computer.

Q: What happened to the 16 and 24 bit versions? Is the current version 24 bit?
A: Yes. The 16 and 24 bit versions have been recently merged into a single version which costs $64 (instead of $54 for the 16 bit version and $79 for the 24 bit version) and which obviously has 24 bit capability.

Buying N

Flavio also has a link at the bottom of the page for deals on 16 bit 5 version to 24 etc. from older versions.

I’m gonna have to upgrade to 24 - I think that’s whats causing a lot of my little irritating problems with my tascam unit.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Mar. 04 2008, 3:22 AM)

I'm gonna have to upgrade to 24 - I think that's whats causing a lot of my little irritating problems with my tascam unit.

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting one of those US-122 tascam units - does it work well now with v5?

John Duffy

It works great with n-Track - the older 122 does not have much support for Vista drivers though - they threw them out there for everyone but they aren’t recognize when you shut down Vista with your unit plugged in or start Vista with it plugged in. You have to remember to unplug it or your machine will bluescreen. Home Basic anyway - I have not installed my Tascam on my Vista Home Premium machine yet.

I would suggest one of the 144’s or 122l’s Although the us 122 is a workhorse and very cheap now on eBay.

Yerp… I love my little Tascams. I have a first gen US-122 that’s sorta on permanent loan and a new US-122L for my laptop kit. Both have been wonderful little units.

If you’re on Vista (Spa-tooey!)* you might want to grab a 122L or 144 like Poppa suggested.

D

PS * Sorry… I always have to spit the bad taste out of my mouth when I say “Vista”. (Spa-tooey)… :p

PPS I bought the youngest a new PC last week. Vista (Spa-tooey) Home Premium was pre-installed. It was as equally painful to get his software working properly as the first Vista box I bought. You know… if it says “Made for Vista” (Spa-tooey!) on the box, it OUGHTA fargin’ WORK! Right? The FIRST time…

Hey guys I also baught a computer with vista and the newest version of n-track and it has been 3 miserable months and I still cannot get it to work right. Asio drivers wont work at all. Asio for all didnt fix it. wdm drivers work if your just do like one or two tracks at a time. My interface is a delta 1010ltand very often I need to use all eight analog inputs and there is allways a lag between tracks. I am sooooo frustrated. I emailed flavio and nothing. does anyone have any thaughts? anyone!!!

I assume you have the latest driver for the 1010LT?

From M-Audio’s site… LINK

Quote:

Product

Date

Version

File Name

Delta 1010LT 12/17/2007 5.10.00.5065

Delta_V32_5.10.00.5065.exe

Check that out and if it doesn’t help, try rolling back to an earlier driver. That one is supposed to be for Vista (Spa-tooey!) but I have heard of
guys using the XP driver just fine.

D

Yep sure do. I have the same problem on my old computer if I record more than about 5 tracks at a time but I always figured it was because it was so slow. This new computer is a dell dual core. I have tryed numerous buffer settings on the delta and n-track.

very few laptops (single core 2 core or 4 core) will work correctly for audio work on VISTA as it has timing problems that M
£oft seem unable to solve - thats why VISTA will be replaced in about a year with another OS ( codename 7 ) -

try this link

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=PCMus

click on DPC latency survey - you are not alone with VISTA problems

if the link malfunctions then

http://www.soundonsound.com
forums - PC music - DPC

Dr J

Bryan must have a desktop Doc. The M-Audio 1010LT is a PCI card. Even at that though, the advice is still good. Download DPC Latency Checker from HERE and run it. See what you can find eh?

D

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jun. 26 2008, 4:23 AM)

It works great with n-Track - the older 122 does not have much support for Vista drivers though...

Thanks for that info. I've looked at the latency thread later on as well, and it seems that I should go for XP on my new laptop instead of Vista, for doing audio, esp. since I'm looking for a cheap option, and have bids on eBay at present for the 122. I wonder if Dell will do a dual-boot for me!

Thanks John D.

Vista and audio here was giving me a headache, picked up a 64bt machine with “4 gigs of memory”(and a 24in HD monitor, now I can see when editing!), running smooth now on any recording apps.

Vista uses a ton of memory just to sit idle, bloated crap needs turning off for audio work.

Yaz :cool:

the memory BLOAT is due to Vista loading a lot of applications in RAM rather than have them stream fron the HD - same as some sample players do to stop slow HDs from causing dropouts -

there is only one APPLE all Apples are APPLE therefore is no Dell Apple ot VAIO Apple or - M$oft tried to do an Apple by making Vista only run on computers that are to the Vista standard - but this would have caused manufacturers to install quality components in their products not things that look good in the adverts - what is the point of having a 480core laptop that only has a 400meg FSB and 5000rpm HDs ? because the computer illiterate (99.999 reoccuring of the worlds popualtion)think that the more cores you have the better it is - FOOLS AND THEIR MONEY etc -

laudable as M
£ofts attempt was it has proved to be fatal as even they are dissing Vista soon-

M$oft will never be Apple so they should stop trying - even if they managed to control PC standards the manufacturers would just ship with Linux or have anothr OS produced for them -

Dr J

Quote: (batman @ Jun. 27 2008, 5:30 AM)

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jun. 26 2008, 4:23 AM)

It works great with n-Track - the older 122 does not have much support for Vista drivers though...

Thanks for that info.
I've looked at the latency thread later on as well, and it seems that I should go for XP on my new laptop instead of Vista, for doing audio, esp. since I'm looking for a cheap option, and have bids on eBay at present for the 122.
I wonder if Dell will do a dual-boot for me!

Thanks John D.

Never hurt to ask 'em... Dual boot installs are not very difficult with the tools available today. I use Nortons (as bad I hat to) Partition Magic. You install PM and run it. There you specify how large you want your second (or third or...) partition to be and what file system you want to use. I'd use NTFS. After it creates the partition and finishes all it's gyrating, insert your install CD/DVD for the OS you want to install and reboot, booting from the CD/DVD. The installer will detect the new partition and say "Hey! There are two partitions on this disk! Which one do you want me to install to?" Point it to your new partition and watch the zizz-wheel spin... Upon completion, the system will display a prompt at start-up saying "Hey! I found TWO bootable partitions here! Which one do you want to use?"

That's a bit over simplified of course but really, it's not that hard. If you don't need or want to buy Partition Magic (I use it for other tasks as well) then Google for freebie partition managers.

Be aware that drivers are almost always a PITA with laptops! Inquire with the manufacturer to see if drivers are available for whichever OS you are installing. Audio drivers, network (Wired and Wireless) adapters need drivers, modems, MOBO chipset drivers etc... With a laptop and doing two different OS's, I would ask Dell if they could do it for a reasonable fee. If not, I would try it myself after scouring the web for info on drivers and such but I don't mind getting my cyber-hands dirty. You may not be as brave (or stupid!) as me.

Good luck with whatever route you take!

D