Vista installation failure

Hi,

I just bought the upgrade to 5.0 and unsuccessfully attempted to install ntrack on Vista.

The installation fails with the registration of dxirewire.dll and a bunch of other dlls after that.

There is no mention on how to deal with this in the FAQ.

Cheers

Thomas

You have Vista? I suspect when that becomes the standard there will be all sorts of problems with all sorts of software. Good luck.

cliff
:cool:

you say "I just bought the upgrade to 5.0 " - was this the 64bit version of N

Dr J

Quote (thomaspf @ Jan. 15 2007,23:05)
Hi,

I just bought the upgrade to 5.0 and unsuccessfully attempted to install ntrack on Vista.

The installation fails with the registration of dxirewire.dll and a bunch of other dlls after that.

There is no mention on how to deal with this in the FAQ.

Cheers

Thomas

What version and build number did you try to install? I have tested n-Track extensively under Vista.
Did the setup run as Administrator (i.e. did Vista open the UAC prompt to allow the setup to run)?

Flavio.

Hi Flavio,

I downloaded the 32bit 2193 and one later version (???) and they both behave the same way.

And yes UAC kicks in to ask for permission to run the install.

I am running Vista Ultimate on a domain joined machine. The domain accout is also a local administrator. I am happy to do any more tests.

Cheers

Thomas

Officially, this is the first I’ve heard of someone actually using Vista. Thats gotta be pretty cool.

cliff
:cool:

It has been available for developers for a long time and the release for corporations was done last year.

Its only the end consumer verison that is relasing end of this month.

And yes, I like it. You get used to it very quickly and then it feels bad to go back to XP.

Cheers

Thomas

Quote (thomaspf @ Jan. 16 2007,21:56)
It has been available for developers for a long time and the release for corporations was done last year.

Its only the end consumer verison that is relasing end of this month.

And yes, I like it. You get used to it very quickly and then it feels bad to go back to XP.

Cheers

Thomas

The problem should be solved in build 2203 which should be online within 1 hour. Please let me know if you continue to have this or similar problems.

Flavio.

Hi Flavio,

the issue is fixed and I am up and running on Vista

Thanks for the prompt response

Thomas

My number one rule of computing:

"NEVER use an OS or application that has less than a year out in the geneal public."

It does not pay to be an unpaid beta bug-tester for the companies while the drivers, applications and plugins are updated to nearly working versions. Vista is barely out of the door and unless you are just messing around with a spare test system, you can’t seriously expect to get any work done without a whole lotta frustration and hair-pulling.

…just my 2cents…

Thanks for the insight. I everyone follow this advice, I suppose you just postpone finding the problems by one year.

Cheers

Thomas

when it hits the streets you will have 4 versions to choose from 32bit/64bit/with AERO or without AERO - start saving now for MORE RAM - prices are rising daily -

Vista will be the bigest cash cow ever for RAM makers -

Dr J

Personally? I’m going to avoid Vista like the friggin’ plague until I HAVE to get it for some bizzare reason. My setup with Win XP Pro is already capable of handling more than I have thrown at it thus far. It is stable, my interface drivers are stable and everything works. Grab Vista and start over, spending yet more time tweaking the PC rather than making music? No thank you. :)

D – learned a few things last go round…

Actually there will be 8 versions

Windows Starter 2007
Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Business
Windows Vista Enterprise
Windows Vista Ultimate
Windows Vista Home Basic N (Media player removed)
Windows Vista Business N (Media Player removed)

Some will only be available in certain geographies or via corporate licenses. I don’t know whether all of them come both in 32 and 64 bit versions.

Driver coverage is a but spotty at this point but my laptop runs no less stable than XP.

Cheers

Thomas