vocal record

Getting voice in headphone while adding

I have watched a couple of tutorials and checked the faq, read the manual but still struggling.
I installed the asio driver and still cannot hear myself singing in mic, with or without effects, while recording. It records fine but not the way I get best results.
I am aware of buffer settings etc so once I hear something I will work on that.
Thank you in advance.
Bob

The “LIVE” button in n_track can let you hear what you are singing in most cases, but your sound card needs to be a Duplex card capable of playing back as it records. Many sound interfaces have a headphone jack, but my experience is that most sound cards that come with the motherboard don’t work so well. Others may have more, better information on this. What sound card are you using? What are the settings?
2.3.2. Live Input Processing

n-Track includes the simple n-Track nEfx Tube Amplifier plug-in which can be used as a guitar amplifier simulator to play live guitar through n-Track. Just hook your electric guitar to your audio device and set n-Track in Live mode. Much more elaborate 3rd party Guitar amplifier plugins can be found on the Internet n-Track Studio allows the computer to be used as a multi-effect device. This feature allows you to connect an electric guitar, for example, to your computer, then use the program's effects as virtual guitar pedals.

To enable Live Input Processing:

· Click the Live button on the main playback/record toolbar.

· Add a blank audio track, click on the small Record button in the track’s section of the left timeline bar, select the input you want to receive audio from, then make sure that the Monitor Live Input button next to the small record button is active. You should now see the track’s level meter move according to the input signal.

Descrizione: C:\Users\Jameson\Documents\N-Track Manual\Docx version\LiveInput.jpg

When in live input processing mode, the program will record from the selected soundcard input(s), feed the recorded signal into the main mixer, running it through any enabled effects, then output the resulting signal to the active output soundcard(s).

If the buffer sizes are sufficiently low, the input to output latency will be low enough for the processing to appear to the ear as if it's done instantly. This enables applying effects to an instrument while playing it through the computer. You can, for example, add a delay or reverb to an electric guitar, or add reverb to vocals.

From the manual 2.3.2 Live Input Processing
"
Live input processing also works during song playback and recording. This may be useful for monitoring the tracks being recorded. Vocal tracks, for example, are often processed with compressors and reverbs. Normally one would record the track dry (without any effects), then apply the effects. The drawback with this way of recording is that, during the recording, the performer doesn't hear how his or her voice will sound when processed with the effects. Using live input processing, you can add the desired effects before recording the vocal, then record the track with live processing enabled so that the program processes the voice with the effects and mixes it with the other tracks in the song.

You may notice a small sound delay when using live input processing. This is due to the audio buffering in the soundcard. Carefully adjusting the buffer settings in the buffering settings dialog box is fundamentally important for obtaining the lowest possible input-to-output intrinsic delay.

Turning the buffering knob to the left will decrease the total buffering, thus allowing for a smaller delay: if the buffering is insufficient, a slight distortion (actually a fast repetition of clicks) will be hearable.

To make the intrinsic delay less annoying, only listen to your instrument through the output of the computer. For example, when playing an electric guitar, connect the amplifier output using its line-out jack, then mute its speaker output (by plugging a headphone adapter into the headphone connector, for example).

If the intrinsic delay is so high that you can't manage to play while hearing the delayed sound, adjust your setup so that you hear your instrument output from both the computer speakers and from the instrument amplifier speakers (if applicable), even if some effects, such as EQ or compression, lose their usefulness.

The minimum delay of a system doesn't depend much on the computer speed, but mostly on See also: • Realtime effects • VST plug-ins the soundcard's driver design: the best results are typically obtained when using Asio, WDM or WaveRT (Windows) or CoreAudio (Mac) soundcard drivers. When input to output latency (the sum of the input latency and the output latency) falls below 10 milliseconds, the delay becomes un-hearable to most people.