Vocal sync

get the tracks to line up

:p Hi guys!
Does anyone know why the tracks won’t be in sync when they’re recorded?
Track one is fine, track two is out of timing and so on…
Quite frustrating!!! Thanks TJ

Try setting Preferences/MIDI Setttings/Timer to “Wave” rather than “System”. If you have a soundblaster card, try setting the sampling frequency to 48k.

What soundcard?

Also try going to Prefrences/Audio devices/Advanced/ un-check ‘keep audio devices open’

The reason for soundcard is some can’t open rec and playback at the same time. I’m suffering from this at the moment with a RealTek HD card.

Going with the E-Mu

:p The sound card is a Realtek AC’97.
Thanks for all the feedback!!! I’m trying out your suggestions as we speak. TJ

Good luck my friend, with every setting I could manipulate in n-Track and the Realtek card I was still a gopher hair (maybe 2) off in timing. Was trying to line up waves manually. Too much trouble doing that on a song with 16+ tracks. Sound card update for me!

This is what the manual says:<!–QuoteBegin>

Sync & lag issues

With some soundcards new recordings don’t sound perfectly in sync with the previous tracks because of the inability of the soundcard to start the recording and the playback at the very same time. If you notice a sync problem in which recorded tracks sound constantly (i.e. with equal delay during the whole length of the recording) too early or too late with respect to existing tracks in the song you can use the compensation parameter in the Preferences/Wave devices/Advanced dialog box to compensate for the problem. Use a negative value if the new tracks sound delayed or a positive value if new tracks sound too early (the program will shift new tracks to the right by the amount specified, or if the compensation is negative the shift will be towards the left). The default value of 0 will work in almost all systems.

Usually there’s no need to worry about the compensation settings, so read this only if you can hear a shift between the recorded tracks.

If you experience sync problems try unchecking both the Preferences/Options/Use system timer for checkboxes, then set the Preferences/Recording settings/Hide lag indicator… parameter to 1.

During a recording, notice the value that will appear near the “lag” writing on the time window on the program’s toolbar.

If the lag value is constant throughout the duration of the recording it can be compensated with the compensation setting discussed above. If the lag value grows constantly during the recording the problem is most likely caused by the soundcard sampling frequency not being perfectly constant or by a difference in the soundcard’s recording and playback sampling frequencies. When this occurs the problem can’t be fixed using the compensation parameter and the program may not work properly so it may be necessary to change soundcard.

Note: the lag values reported are based on the recording and playback position information reported to the program by the soundcard. This information may be incorrect so it may lead to think that sync problems exist while it’s just that the recording and/or playback times are being reported incorrectly. It’s very important to double check with your ears if the lag values reported make sense.

Excellant post john mc!

How many of you n-trackers have downloaded the manual? The answers to a lot of problems are listed in the manual.

I had n-track for 2 years before downloading the man. after getting it and reading it, wow, this proggy can do a ton of stuff! I, like so many american dudes, would rather put the gas grill together first, then after finding 2 bags of parts left over, would read the instructions. Go figure! :p

That’s me!!! Put the darn thing together, watch it fall apart then dig through the garbage for the instructions to find out what I did wrong,LOL. Besides, who has time for all that reading, eh??? Anyway thanks a heap for the replies, things seem to be working better for me now and I really appreciate the input. Er, let’s hope I don’t forget it now!!!LOL. TJ