Vocal track issue...thoughts please.

So, I’ve got 3 vocal tracks done a capella. When isolated, i can crank each one up (by itself) and they sound good. when I put the three together, there’s this low rumble present.

All 3 tracks are compressed and slightly compressed again when added to a group. Each track is rolled off around 100hz. If I roll off the group, I have to jump to like 250hz to get it to go away(the rumble) and start loosing the quality of the recording.

I live in the country, so it’s not a train (or wolf even) and the room was nice and quiet during the recording. All three vox were recorded on the same mic – an Equitek 100 with the hi-pass turned on.

Got any thoughts? ???

Is the rumble there when you remove compression and all other effects from the tracks? If it’s not, I’d try starting out with all effects disabled, then enabling things gradually to see where the rumble starts coming in.

Yep, you don’t want to compress noise to the forefront.
If you have one lead voice + two backups, roll off the backups at 250 (or even higher) and see what happens to your mix. Without hearing the parts it’s hard to be more specific…

Yep, gotta hear it to really suggest…

But have you tried panning?
I’ve encountered simular problems with base and kick drum simularities. slightly panning each track to diiferent sides helped them find there own space. Does sound like alot of compression goin’ on ther though…
I can’t remember the last time “if ever” I’ve compressed a vocal. Usually the vocal track is loud enough for me to hear it…and everthing sounds OK as is…is there some reason you need to compress these files IE are they too quiet, lacking umpf?
If anything vocals will get compressed when your compress the master channel on the final mixdown. Or u might be better of mixing the three together, then compressing them once…but still only slightly because again they will be compressed once more during the final mix.

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

Quote (jeremysdemo @ Jan. 27 2006,18:38)
…is there some reason you need to compress these files

Loudness aside, there might actually be a gazzillion to do just that. Try it. You may be surprised.

First of all, thanks to all for the suggestions. 2ndly, thanks MORE for making me think through this better. The tracks were done about 3 months ago, so some of the details are blurry. The longer I think about it though, here’s what I can add:

1. The vocals were recorded with a bit of headroom, so they are being compressed simply to maintain a level that’s compatible with the next tune, which the tune in question bleeds into.

teryeah:<!–QuoteBegin>

Quote (jeremysdemo @ Jan. 27 2006,18:38)
…is there some reason you need to compress these files

Loudness aside, there might actually be a gazzillion to do just that. Try it. You may be surprised.

Can you elaborate as to who you were directing your comment to? If 'twere me, I’m hearing you say there may be a gazillion reasons NOT to compress, which is great. Could you give me two or three, just for education’s sake? Also, what would you recommend me to do to get the level to a managable level? If you were talking to Jerm, then I apologize for butting in.

The net may be that I just need to re-record the tracks. They’re not that long, I just got it “right” and would rather not re-record if I can avoid it. My oldest just walked into the room, reminding me that I DO live on a peer and beam foundation, so it may be likely (even probable) that someone downstairs was walking whilst the red light was on.

Maybe the mastering engineer (me) should send the “mix” (mine) back to the tracking department (me). :D

Nah, I was talking to Jeremy. He misses a bunch of sonic spice by never compressing his vocals. Twiddle those knobs and listen to what happens.

Bill, if you’re happy with your vocals on said track but can’t get rid of the noise, why don’t you try to mask the noise somewhat by adding ambient sounds like street noise or whatever that might suit your lyrics ? It may work, it may be disasterous, just a thought… :)

I dunno, I’m just listening, trying to learn something here. So I’ll chime in and wait for correction: How about a little gating? Is the rumbly-ness very much quieter, consistently, than the vocals?

And- is there a spot where there’s no vox, only rumble? Do you have an app with Noise Reduction (like Cool Edit, or sim.)?

Okay, sitting back down over here.

Yeah, EQ --> gate should help. It’s hard to tell without having heard the dang tracks :O

Quote (teryeah @ Jan. 28 2006,16:06)
Yeah, EQ --> gate should help. It's hard to tell without having heard the dang tracks :O

Hint....

However, be sure you EQ as the first step in the chain.
Quote (Bubbagump @ Jan. 28 2006,16:21)
Quote (teryeah @ Jan. 28 2006,16:06)
Yeah, EQ --> gate should help. It's hard to tell without having heard the dang tracks :O

Hint....

However, be sure you EQ as the first step in the chain.

Hence the arrow, suggesting the order of EQ & gate :o)