Volume changes using sliders

Is this a feature of nTrack?

I’m evaluating nTrack and one of my requirements is to be able to lower or raise the volume of a track simply by using sliders, rather than just track click points.

Does anyone know if nTrack allows this somehow? I used to play my 16 track recording into my PC and had physical sliders to make changes to individual track volumes on the fly.

I’m now importing tracks from a portable HD directly into nTrack.

Thanks for your help!

depending on how low the latency of your soundcard is you can move the sliders in the mixer window to adjust the levels of each track/group in real time.

You can also record htese movements and then have n-Track play back the movements automatically.

I personally find it easier and more accurate to draw volume envelopes on the timeline as you can put changes in exactly where you want them and have pretty much instantaneous jumps in volume. using the sliders and mouse (or even a control surface with physical sliders) you won’t be able to get instantaneous changes in volume but gradual ones…

I have used the “record fader movements” facility of n-Track occasionally, using the four sliders on my Alesis QS-6.1 synth/motherkeyboard as input.

I prefer drawing envelopes, though. I have become accustomed to drawing S-shaped fadeups and -downs in order to avoid jumps in the volumes. This was inspired by the way you edit movement keys in 3D-animation programs… :D

regards, Nils

I wish S-shaped fades were built-in to n-Track. When you click the Fade button, you get a linear fade out, i.e. a straight line…which is unnatural to the human ear, which prefers more subtle logarhythmic volume-changes.

I usually edit my own curved fade-outs like Nils.

Mabye something for an n-Track improvement?

<!–QuoteBegin>

When you click the Fade button, you get a linear fade out

If you draw a straight line on a dB (=log) scale, you get a logarithmic fade, don’t you?
To make it sound natural you only need to “bend” the upper end of the slope a bit.
A function to smoothen the sharp corners of an envelope would be very handy indeed.

<!–QuoteBegin>

When you click the Fade button, you get a linear fade out, i.e. a straight line…which is unnatural to the human ear, which prefers more subtle logarhythmic volume-changes.

I believe that’s an option somewhere in the preferences for the cross/fades for linear/log fades.

I never knew N-track supported White Castle… ???

Quote (Willy @ Oct. 28 2005,11:04)
When you click the Fade button, you get a linear fade out, i.e. a straight line..which is unnatural to the human ear, which prefers more subtle logarhythmic volume-changes.

I believe that's an option somewhere in the preferences for the cross/fades for linear/log fades.
And pressing ctrl when using fade button gets you straight to fade properties.

If I’m reading your question right, manofdestiny, it sounds like you’re looking for the Mixer window. You can pull that up by pressing the F3 key on your keyboard, or by choosing Mixer from the View menu. That will let you adjust the volume of individual tracks with faders (aka sliders), and lots of other things as well.

Hope that’s what you’re looking for!

Wow, great feed back! Since I posted the question, I’ve learned quite a bit about nTrack and plan on purchasing the latest version. I also purchased a BCF2000 Control desk, which I’ve never used before.

I’ve figured out out to ‘map’ the sliders to the software sliders, which will give me the hands on approach to raising and lowering several tracks at once. That is the challenge with mouse faders, I need to lower two tracks (or 1 group) while raising another track, then reverting back.

How do I play the tracks and while it is playing, use my physical faders to lower just part of a track, then raise the volume back up and have that recorded, or part of the finished mixdown?

I really appreciate the answers and help, you guys are great!

You do know you can draw the faders too, right? I find that much more intuitive personally.

I’m not sure what it means to draw faders. I know that I can select a track and use the mouse to click on points, lower/raise the volume and restore it at some point to the original level.

I have a control surface now and wish to use the phyiscal sliders to change the volume of a track(s) rather than ‘shaping’ the volume changes in the software.

I’m sure I might use the envelopes as suggested, but for now, because I want to adjust 2 or three tracks at once, I think it would be easier to have a hands on experience, and it would be quicker. I don’t mind a volume fade that is smooth, rather than immediate.

By the way, nice music! Worth Dying For was very entertaining. Thanks.

Hey manofdestiny, you sure can record fader movements for automation. I don’t have a control surface so I can’t confirm that this works with them, but I don’t see why not.

Basically, you pull up the mixer (press F3) and look under the master channel effects box (in the upper-left part of the mixer), and you’ll see miniature Play and Record buttons. Activate the record button and now n-Track will record your fader movements when it’s playing (and the little play button controls whether the faders move on playback. You might expect that turning that off would turn off the automation altogether; however, it just turns off the visual effect of the faders moving.) And of course, the automation is stored as points on the volume line that you can click on in the track itself, so you can fix minor things without having to redo the whole thing.

Hope that does the trick for ya!

chuck

Doh! Now I see in another thread that you’ve already found this out; sorry bout that!

Thanks everyone for your GREAT help. What a community! I now see the record and play buttons in the Master Mixer view. The Help file definately needs updating…

I’ll take the advice to heart and quickly switch to drawing envelopes rather than recording faders if it proves to be “messy”. It looks like my simple requirement has been met, which will save me money purchaing nTrack over Cubase, PowerTracks, ProTools, etc.

Hopefully soon I’ll be in a position to help someone else in this forum. Thanks again. :D

You know what I don’t like about recording the fader movements (and this is a complaint about every program I’ve used), is there is no relation to any sort of draw line (the volume envelope or otherwise). I can understand the desire for a volume envelope that operates independently of the volume nobs (though I do not prefer it). But how about a fader line? If you happen to make the mistake of recording your fader movements, it is very difficult to go back and edit it, especially without a control surface (which I would like to have, by the way. I’m definitely a hands-on person). How about a line that defaults at 0, has room at the top for +10, and the bottom is -inf? Then you can record your volume in real time (with the hands on experience if you prefer), and then go back and tweak it/draw it/ etc.? Wouldn’t that be the best of both worlds?

fish

<!–QuoteBegin>

You know what I don’t like about recording the fader movements (and this is a complaint about every program I’ve used), is there is no relation to any sort of draw line (the volume envelope or otherwise).

Actually, I remember complaining about this ages ago back in v2.xx because I had being using Samplitude (back ages ago, probably 1998-99, might have been v4) and that in fact DID change the envelopes according to the faders. For example, if you moved the fader up, the whole envelope as drawn would move up and down accordingly, and the pan envelope would move up if panned left, and down if panned right, and it would happen in realtime if you had the envelopes up and the mixer up at the same time.

I really think this works well with panning as a pan knob is more intuitive and exact than drawing when mixing, but moves are easily done and you can see where it’s going to in relation to the orginal pan. Currently ntrack will put the envelope center regardless of mixer pan and moves are relative to current mixer pan.

Volumes are a bit different - ie, if the fader is set for 0 and there may be a few points you’ve drawn to -inf, should moving the fader up mean that those -inf spots move up the same degree? Common sense would dictate that if you’ve muted something in an envelope, then it stays that way regardless of fader position I suppose.

Willy.

per N-track manual

Interpolate
logarithmically: the program interpolates linearly between the volume evolution nodes. This reflects in a logarithm-like evolution between two nodes in a logarithm graph such as the timeline volume evolution representation (the levels are shown in dB). So the correct representation of the volume evolution takes place when this option is checked. When it isn’t the program simply connects the nodes with a straight line, which is not how the volume actually evolves between the nodes. Unchecking this option speeds a bit the drawing of the timeline window and may render the volume representation clearer, although not corrent.

so even though the drawing is linear, the interpolation is ALWAYS log as far as volume fades.