Volume In Version 5

New Song is not loud enough

Hi, seems since I downloaded version 5 I’m having issues with volume not being loud enough. I thought maybe I wasn’t compressing things enough but then I found that the signal is indeed strong enough and I can compress it into clipping and the volume is still nowhere near what I used to have in version 4 (but I’ve also changed computers) So…I check the volume in the controls for the soundcard and made sure that the mixer had everything turned up proper and it does. I’m using classic compressor but that’s what I’ve been using for a couple years.
For examples
www.mcallister-productions.com
listen to “Andorid Men” compared to my new recording I’m working on "Over You"
I just can’t get the volume up in “Over You” all of the recorded tracks seem to have strong signal but none are too high but man, I’ve got the volume on the mains only 1/4 up and already clipping out. :frowning:

Using new Soundblaster Audigy platinum
Anyone else using this card? Anyone else have volume issues with the new version 5? Other ideas?

Here is an image you can see the level on the main and how far I have it turned down (-18.3)

What does the mix look like in a wave editor?

Quote (XonXoff @ Oct. 05 2006,02:55)
What does the mix look like in a wave editor?

:-(, any ideas? Here is the final mix down .wav file:

Well I think the issue is evident from the screenshot. For starters you appear to have some headroom there, so at least normalising the file would get you some more volume straight away.

Next you need to look at some compression to tame a few of those peaks so you can turn it up a bit more.

You seem to know about compression, but are you familiar with how it can help increase the “loudness” of your track? The following article is an interesting insight: http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicdeath.htm

I find it easier not to worry about loudness and compression when mixing - I just mix as hot as I can get without clipping. Then afterwards I’ll do a bit of a mastering job on the mixdown to work with the volume and dynamics.

X

Quote (XonXoff @ Oct. 05 2006,08:28)
Well I think the issue is evident from the screenshot. For starters you appear to have some headroom there, so at least normalising the file would get you some more volume straight away.

Next you need to look at some compression to tame a few of those peaks so you can turn it up a bit more.

You seem to know about compression, but are you familiar with how it can help increase the “loudness” of your track? The following article is an interesting insight: http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicdeath.htm

I find it easier not to worry about loudness and compression when mixing - I just mix as hot as I can get without clipping. Then afterwards I’ll do a bit of a mastering job on the mixdown to work with the volume and dynamics.

X

Wow, thanks so much for the great info and link, I’ll give it a read today. I put compression on the main on all my songs, that’s how I am getting the little volume I am on this track :frowning: a few things:

1. Do you normalize everything? I’m just trying to get all my tracks the same volume in every recording so the songs sound good together and I’ve never normalized before.

2. I’m using “Classic Compressor” which is a free VST but I also notice what looks like a built in compressor working in N-tracks on the bottom right side, is that what it is? I guess if there is a built in comp then I don’t need to use the other one.

3. On all of my recordings I put on the compressor and set it for mix down then mixdown to .wav file is this the correct way or do you mix everything as hot as you can without the compressor, turn it into a .wav file then omport that file and add compression and mix it down?

Thanks again, this board is so helpful and learning to record proper is an artfor in it’s self!

Another approach is to use a mastering plugin on the master channel when you do your mixdown. It will automate some of the things that you need to do to maximize the punch of your recording. You can get a feel for how this would work out witn Endorphin, a free mastering VST provided by digitalfishphones. I’d do what Phoo suggests anyway, but Endorphin (or some other mastering plugin) is worth a try too.

T

Quote (mcalldp @ Oct. 05 2006,13:57)
Quote (XonXoff @ Oct. 05 2006,08:28)

X

Wow, thanks so much for the great info and link, I’ll give it a read today. I put compression on the main on all my songs, that’s how I am getting the little volume I am on this track :frowning: a few things:

1. Do you normalize everything? I’m just trying to get all my tracks the same volume in every recording so the songs sound good together and I’ve never normalized before.

2. I’m using “Classic Compressor” which is a free VST but I also notice what looks like a built in compressor working in N-tracks on the bottom right side, is that what it is? I guess if there is a built in comp then I don’t need to use the other one.

3. On all of my recordings I put on the compressor and set it for mix down then mixdown to .wav file is this the correct way or do you mix everything as hot as you can without the compressor, turn it into a .wav file then omport that file and add compression and mix it down?

Thanks again, this board is so helpful and learning to record proper is an artfor in it’s self!

Taking your questions in turn…

1. I don’t normalise everything. I don’t see the point really - it’s just another thing to do (pita) and another set of calculations on the files. I just tend to record each track as hot as I can (24 bit helps).

2. There’s nothing to stop you using n-track’s “always on” compressor. Personally I don’t; I turn it off and use whatever compressor I want to use for the job.

3. No, as I said I tend to just mix as hot as I can get without clipping and then “master” the mixdown later. Remember that just slapping on a compressor and selecting one of the plugin’s pre-defined template settings won’t necessarily do what you want. Even when using a compressor’s template you still need to work with the threshold control to start the compressor working in the right place. (You may find that the compressor is not even working at all without doing this).

X

I usually use the compressor to adjust it’s output in order to add volume, but I am trying to learn more about the whole recording process and difference between mixing and mastering (what should be done at each stage)

Thanks for this great info guys, you’re so helpful. I will grab that plugin as well- looking forward to trying that.

Sounds like you should learn a few basics. this might help

Thanks Tee! I’ll give that a read. The other article mentioned showing .wav compression screen shots was great!
I’ll be downloading the Endorphin plugin this evening as well
SOOO this thread has helped me a lot!

If anyone else is interested, I’ve been using the Classic plug ins, they are free, ahve a great user interface and sound good; you can get them here:

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

Again, thanks for all this input, I’m off to read more!

(hope to get some of the issues worked out tonight.)