Volume problem

hey im new to this, i enjoy the programme so far. but my voice is very quiet on the track…i am recording myself over a track and the track is loud, but my voice is quiet, making it impossible to hear what im saying…can i have any help with this ? thankyou

when ya recorded your vocal,did ya make sure ya had a good signal?by that i mean did ya notice if the recording meter was pumpin up to an acceptable level?if yes,then you still may have to run your vocal track into the compressor effect,or a limiter effect

Well, apart from recording a “hot” enough signal as Wozz suggests, a stupid question perhaps, but have you turned the track down?

hi johnson87
First, I’ll assume you read the nTrack .pdf manual
(starting on page 14 Step by Step Tutorial)
My personal take on your problem, would be -
Not to record over an already existing track. But
to record a new voice only track. Then mix the two
tracks at the levels you choose. That way you could
bring up the volume of your voice track - and maybe
bring down the volume of your original track.
I would suggest playing around with a voice only track
first, until you achieve the correct level you want.
Then, as I said before, try mixing the two tracks
together (which enables you to adjust each tracks output
volume) to a new [mix] track.
Plus, you’d be able to add compression and maybe some reverb
to your voice, without messing with (whatever) is on the
first track.
Mix and be fruitful! :whistle:

Try “normalizing” the track first. select the track by clicking in it - go to edit - normalize - click scan and see how low it is then adust the 'normalize to accordingly - default is 0. I’d try that and see hoe the integrity of the recording holds up.

The tracks recorded volume shouldn’t matter, unless it’s recorded to so low the vocal is buried in the digital noise. That’s pretty unlikely, though definitely possible. It might sound better if it’s not that low and turning it up may be more difficult if it’s recorded so low that max fader isn’t enough.

If the vocal can’t be heard well enough it either needs to be raised in the mix, or it’s being masked. If it’s masked then raising the vocal track will still make it heard, at the expense of the vocal masking something else. In other words, raising the track’s playback volume should solve the problem, but not be the best fix.

That said, if the vocal track can’t be raised any more (clipping happens) then the other tracks need to come down.

I think we need a bit more info to understand what the issue is. All we know is the result.

One thing that comes to mind is that the vocal track was recorded as “what you hear” so the vocal track also contains the other tracks. If that’s the case then raising the vocal track won’t do anything to change the mix after a point.

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Nov. 17 2007, 5:13 PM)

hi johnson87
First, I'll assume you read the nTrack .pdf manual
(starting on page 14 Step by Step Tutorial)
My personal take on your problem, would be -
Not to record over an already existing track. But
to record a new voice only track. Then mix the two
tracks at the levels you choose. That way you could
bring up the volume of your voice track - and maybe
bring down the volume of your original track.
I would suggest playing around with a voice only track
first, until you achieve the correct level you want.
Then, as I said before, try mixing the two tracks
together (which enables you to adjust each tracks output
volume) to a new [mix] track.
Plus, you'd be able to add compression and maybe some reverb
to your voice, without messing with (whatever) is on the
first track.
Mix and be fruitful! :whistle:

sorry i havent responded sooner, i havent been able to acess the computer....thanks everyone for the help........the problem with recording seperately is that i have to be on point with the flow on the track, so i kinda need to record over the track. also im very new to this so mixing an stuff is beyond me lol...thanks a lot for your time and thankyou to everyone....the next time i went to use the equipment i added compression settings and my voice sounded fine.....thankyou for having patience with a new user :D