VScan Problem

VST Instrument and Effects Scanning Now

I have been using NTrack for several years. When version 4 came out, it was an upgrade for me. Version 4 and updates was perfect, I used to boast about it to people who paid hundreds of dollars more for Cakewalk and other high end sequencers.

All of that came to an end when I upgraded to Version 5 at the end of 2007. The scan for VST instruments and effects now hangs and crashes the system. I have tried uninstalling version 5 and reinstalling version 4. But to no avail. Version 4 no longer works either. I have also tried designating a new VST folder. The problem persists.

I am a computer programmer in my day job so I have spent the better part of 2008 checking a number of things in my system, cleaned up the registry, etc. with the hope of getting Ntrack to work again. Nothing works. Neither version 4 or version 5 of Ntrack will run on my system even with a fresh install. Any attempt to add a track and launch the plug-in scan causes the application to crash. I am running Windows XP home edition.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem with the VST scan process that seems to use VSCAN.EXE?

For the record, I also use FLStudio. It finds all VST and DirectX plug-ins without a problem in both the old and new folders I created. The plug-ins work fine. I would hate to just give up on NTrack. Version 4 worked quite nicely in tandem with Gigastudio to capture the Giga audio output to an audio track. I can’t get FLStudio to do that, but otherwise the FLStudio 8 gives me everything I got from NTrack.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

It sounds like there is a VST Plug in your VST Folder that is and might be the issue…
It’s strange that other applications look-for-and-find your Plugs…
However, that could be what your involved with… Maybe, it’s one of those so-called FREE Ones…
They seem to share .DLL Files…
Make up a Hand-Drawn list and start removing them one-at-a-time and see what happens…

Bill…

yeh - I agree with WOX,
try renaming your plugin folder to 'yourfolder.bak’
make a new folder ‘yourfolder’ - and import a few dll’s (just to see
if N will find those).
If it does, than I would at first suspect the FL plugins.

yea - I agree with sevenOfeleven,
If you start pulling your VST .DLL’s out of your VST Folder you might end up a bunch more trouble…
Hide your VST Folder from n-Track’s VST Scan …
create a new VST Folder and put your .DLLs in there One-at-a-Time…
At least the ones you don’t have to re-install…
Sooner or later your issue will appear…

That’s what I think…

Bill…