VST question - newbie

A few VST plugins don’t make sound

Hi all,
I am new to n-track… I am still running the evaluation version but am definitely going to purchase the full version… and I am very new to VST soft synths.

I have tried out quite a few different VST instruments and am having not too much trouble getting them figured out, except for a couple.
Almost all of the ones I have tried are pretty much ‘plug’n’play’ I copy the dll files to the vstplugin folder and when I choose them in n-track my MIDI keyboard controls them perfectly.
I have downloaded the Arp2600va and also the Bismark soundfont player. Neither one of these makes any sound but the vu meters in the sequencer go up like there is sound there. The Bismark loads up my soundfont files just fine. I can select all the different patches in both of these synths but I just get no sound.
If I run the stand alone version of the Arp2600 in plays and sounds perfect.

I’m sure it is something simple I just am not seeing. But I would be greatful if someone could help me out here.

Thanks everyone,
WynD

I know the other fellows on this site know more about it than I do, but in the mean time, I know this, not all VST’s are compatible with n-track, although there are a ton of free ones out there that are, there was a list of them somewhere on this site, if I can find it I’ll post it.

http://ntrack.com/effects.php
This page is the list of proven compatibles, there is one of my faves that is not on the list as I can see it:

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

On the list Voxengo and PSP are my faves.

OK when one of the other guys gets here they will fill you in on the rest.

I went into n to do a pic for you on what you need to do but the new beta version is here and downloading - hang in there - I’ll try to get to it tonight.

Thanks nixon1972.
That is something I really wouldn’t have thought of but makes perfect sense if that turns out to be the problem. I would very much like to see that list if it is still out there.
No big deal if either of these are incompatible since there are so many others that are. I am from the days of, and have always loved those beautiful old analog synths. It would have been fun to use a VST version of that great Arp 2600 with the sequencer.

I have tried out the VST versions of Oddy-free (Arp Odyssey) and the Minimoque which are pretty good simulations. Some of the newer types of digital synths with all the layering and controls are just amazing at what you can get out of them.

Thanks again
WynD
:agree:

Thanks too Poppa Willis,
If you can help me out in getting these synths to work that would be soooo excellent :)

Man… you guys are fast
:agree:
We must have been posting at the same time.
Thanks for the link. I’ll go check that out and be eagerly awaiting all the great help that is starting to appear
:D

Thanks so far :agree:

Arp2600 definitely works… just tried it. Make sure your MIDI controller is assigned to the instrument or MIDI track feeding Arp2600. Also make sure “LIVE” is turned on.

Should work… it does here… :)

D

I use sfz player in n-Track - it likes it.

Free Here

Load sfz then load soundfont file - play - sound with file or sound from midi controller keys. hit record to record midi through it - piece of cake.

Right click on the image above and choose ‘view image’ to see it better.

Thanks again for more input everyone…

Quote:

I use sfz player in n-Track - it likes it.

I downloaded this one and tried it out. Works great. Thanks so much for it is still nice to be able to use some of my good old soundfonts.

Quote:

Arp2600 definitely works… just tried it. Make sure your MIDI controller is assigned to the instrument or MIDI track feeding Arp2600. Also make sure “LIVE” is turned on.

Should work… it does here…

I checked MIDI channel and the LIVE was selected and still the Arp2600 just will not make any sound for me. It is so strange for as soon as I select another VST instrument it plays and sounds perfectly. Go back to the Arp - absolutely no sound. I am sure it still has to be something really simple/stupid on my part. Especially since it does work for you and with n-track.

Arp2600 - there seems to be a few of these on the net - i doenloaded the one at the bottom of this page

http://glenstegner.com/softsynths.html

and it does not play if inserted as a VSTi in a MIDI track - REASON - the MIDI channel on the track is set to 10 - this VSTi only works on NONE or Channel 1 -

open tracks properties and change chanel to none or 1 -

nice sounds BUT WHAT A CPU HOG - the minimooge on the same page is very good and does not slow my PC to a standstill

M.R.

Quote:

this VSTi only works on NONE or Channel 1 -

Not so Wabbit. You can set the receive channel for Arp2600/va in the drop down list just above and left of the label "arppe 2600/va" Bottom right... Make sure your MIDI track sends on the same channel you have the Arppe set to. The instance I'm messing with, I have one track sending on channel one and another on channel 5.

D
Quote:

BUT WHAT A CPU HOG

What is it showing at idle M.R.? Idling, I get 4.4% and pretty heavy riffing jumps it up to almost 7%... Not "CPU killing" here but yeah... kind of hungry...

D
Quote:

Arp2600 - there seems to be a few of these on the net - i doenloaded the one at the bottom of this page

http://glenstegner.com/softsynths.html

and it does not play if inserted as a VSTi in a MIDI track - REASON - the MIDI channel on the track is set to 10 - this VSTi only works on NONE or Channel 1 -

open tracks properties and change chanel to none or 1 -

nice sounds BUT WHAT A CPU HOG - the minimooge on the same page is very good and does not slow my PC to a standstill

That is the same version of the 2600 I have downloaded and am trying to figure out. The Minimogue off of that same link is EXCELLENT!!
I have been checking and rechecking MIDI and other settings everywhere and just cannot figure this out. All MIDI channels match up between my keyboard and the 2600. What really seems so strange is that when I play my controller keyboard, the VU meters in n-track show there is input there but there is absolutely no audible sound of the Arp. As far as CPU usage the Arp is showing for me only about average or 7 to 10%.

This has really got me bugged and I see I have you guys trying to work this out for me.
Thanks, it is so much appreciated. I hope to find a solution to this one.

Sounds like a simple problem of monitoring to me.

i downloaded that version - tried it as a VSTi AND IT DID NOT PLAY THE TRACK - changed to channel 1 and it played - panel what panel - this thing drags my OLD PC to a snails pace pretty quick -

CPU HOG - a plugin that uses a lot of the available processing power which limits the capability of your DAW -

as this is a VSTi it is (or should be) automatically linked to N audio output - however it only comes out of one of my speakers, if this is a MONOsynth then its not correct, i cant see a PAN control anywhere and have to use the output dots in the track fader to get it across both output channels - sounds nice but no go on this system -

the minimooge is batter for both me and my PC -

M.R.

Well this is weird… in n-Track it plays only on the left side? In Reaper it’s STEREO? n-Track BUG?

I’m just playing around with this thing for WynD M.R. I probably won’t have a use for it myself. I’ll check the Moog out too though.

How good a batter is MiniMoog? .260? Better? The Atlanta Braves could use a few sluggers. Sign 'im up! :p

D

EDIT: Hmph… the Minimouge Va plays in stereo in both n and R… Oh well…

D - tried it on a faster PC where it ran OK, BAR for the one channel output - if our friend cant hear it maybe there is a problem in monitoring so they only hear the right channel - so as this vSTi plays only on the left (in N) that would explain it -

M.R.

You’re probably right M.R.

I wouldn’t know who to cry to (if I wanted to) about Arp2600… It plays mono (left) in n-Track but stereo in Reaper! Who has the “bug”? Arp2600? n-Track? Reaper for playing something that ain’t there? LOL…

D

PS Some good sounds in that thar Mooger thingie… :agree: