VST question - newbie

I did look and the Arp2600 is only showing up on the left side in the VU meters. If this could be a monitoring issue then what do I need to fix this situation? Forgive any silly questions for I have just started using n-T and have a lot to learn with all of the different functions and things.
If it could possibly be a monitoring issue, why would it only affect this VST instrument? Then as soon as I select another VST I hear everything properly on both channels? Just trying to learn anything I can.

On a little off topic note:
It is official… I just purchased the codes and am an official n-Track user as of tonight. Excellent!!
I fit in with the particular crowd that I have seen mentioned in one of the other forum threads 'old fart’
I had dabbled with a little bit of MIDI recording before. But this was way back in the beginning days of MIDI. You know… when you had to rub two analog synths together to make fire. This should date me… The sequencer program I used ran on my old Commodore-128. I have done some home recording through the years and have done a little bit of sequencing also. But I am way behind the times on a lot of the newer MIDI technology, sequencers, VSTI, etc… etc…
I had a really, really basic and out of date sequencer that used DXI synths. I noticed that most all soft-synths any more are VST so that is when I happened to come across n-Track in a search for a good sequencer program… and one for a really decent price. Some of these VST instruments are fantastic!!

But anyway, just wanted to officially say hi to anyone who sees this. By the looks of searching around in some of the other threads this is going to be a great place to get help, advice, tips, etc… So far everyone has been great in trying to help me out.
Thanks
:)
WynD
:)

Quote:

But anyway, just wanted to officially say hi to anyone who sees this. By the looks of searching around in some of the other threads this is going to be a great place to get help, advice, tips, etc.. So far everyone has been great in trying to help me out.
Thanks
WynD

Look at my first post in this thread, told ya so, huh?! :) n-track team to the rescue!

Hey WynD?

Can you post up your system specs? Hardware, OS, interface (soundcard/chip) etc…? It sure would help out with trying to figure out what’s going on here. Arp2600 works… but ONLY on the LEFT side in n-Track… The blasted thing works stereo in me other apps! shrug

D

No problem… if you need more specific info than what I am putting here just ask.

Dell Dimension 8400 system
Pentium-IV 3 gig processor
Win XP with all updated service packs…etc…
Soundblaster X-Fi card

When I run the stand alone version of the 2600 it is in full stero and can actually hear it. N-track is just left channel on the VU’s and no audio at all.

Can you open “Settings” > “Audio devices” and tell us what driver you have selected for n-Track to use? Also check “Settings” > “Preferences” (or Ctrl+P) and check what your default sample rate is set to?

D

I am using Creative ASIO drivers and the sampling rate is 44100.

Don’t Creatives have to be at 48k sampling rate?

Quote:

Don't Creatives have to be at 48k sampling rate?

That is something else I have no clue on. Hopefully someone can answer that one too. The sampling rate is the default setting when I installed the program. If there are any other 'default' settings that need to be changed to fit my computer figuration I would really be eager know.
So far just about the only setting I remember that I have changed is in selecting the ASIO drivers.

The older Sound Blaster cards based on the EMU10K1 DSP chip had the infamous 48K fixed internal sampling problem. I would think a newer X-Fi cards would not have that weirdness.

Other VSTi’s work fine? You have sound on both left and right channels? Arp2600 is the only one causing this particular problem?

I’m stumped…

D

if as you say you can hear sound from some VSTi but not the arp whick is a MOMOSYNTH in every respect - IE it only has one MONO output (the left channel of a stereo pair) - then you seem that your speakers are both connected to the right output channel - so no sound when only the left channel is played -

open TRACK FADERS - extend righthand side of the meter block untill a grey empty area shows - right click in that area and select SHOW INSTRUMENTS - the arp fader will appear - LOOK CAREFULLY below the fader knob there are TWO SMALL interconnected ciecles - click in those while track is playing and it will cycle through a range of options, 1 of which is to put the output across both channels. when you hit the right setting you should hear sound – the change will also only show in the playback VU meters not on the instrument fader meter -

M.R.

Excellent M.R. I now have sound out of the Arp2600 in N-Track :agree:
That worked like a charm.
Thanks so much to everyone for all your help on this.
With me just beginning to learn N-T I guarantee I will have more questions.

One last quick question for this thread about something that was mentioned in the post by sevenofeleven. Since I am using a Creative sound card, do I need to set the sampling rate at 48000?

it is generally accepted that Creative sound cards work better at 48K than $$100- if you record at 44100 your tracks will not be in sync - so open prefa and go upto 48K -

M.R.

I repeat…

Quote:

The older Sound Blaster cards based on the EMU10K1 DSP chip had the infamous 48K fixed internal sampling problem. I would think newer X-Fi cards would not have that weirdness.

The newer cards like the X-Fi are not based on the EMU10K1 DSP chip. I do know the ones that claim 96khz capability exhibit some weirdness at 96khz but supposedly 44.1khz is fine and dandy.

D