vsti questions

So, I’d never even heard of a synth until about 5 minutes ago, I was browsing around KVR, and happened upon a couple synths by UGO, and I kept asking myself:

What the **** are these synth things?

Anyways, UGO has mp3’s of what his synths can do, and after listening to them…WOW!!!

So, I open Ntrack, create a midi track, open up my vsti synth, set the midi to output to the synth like in the instructions, and realize that there is no input.

So, what do most people use to input midi signals to these synths?

I know I have an old casio keyboard somewhere in the basement, pretty sure it has midi, is that what people use? After listening to UGOs songs, I can’t imagine anyone doing that on a keyboard, but what do I know…

I’d also like to take this space to say that the Kjaerhus Audio Classic Auto-Filter is the coolest plugin EVER.

I am now very happy I finally decided to buy a computer.

Any input on synths/vsti’s is appreciated. Thanks!
Stully

You can use any synth with a midi output that you can plug into your soundcard via a midi lead. Or if you want
you can use whats called a midi controller keyboard. It makes no sound but has lots of knobs and sliders that you can assign to do any number of things. (IE control midi parameters etc, you can even control N-track to!).

My choice is an Mk-449c Evolution midi keyboard controller which has a USB2 out so I just plug it into a USB port on my computer.

To hear a VSTi instrument immediately without a keyboard
you could just add some midi notes into the piano roll and demo the sounds that way.
And of course some VSTi instruments have a graphical keyboard that you can play with your mouse.

VSTi’s are very cool and come in a huge variety of flavours
and they work very well for the most part using N-track as a host.

gl

Quote (stull @ Mar. 29 2005,05:58)
So, what do most people use to input midi signals to these synths?

I know I have an old casio keyboard somewhere in the basement, pretty sure it has midi, is that what people use? After listening to UGOs songs, I can't imagine anyone doing that on a keyboard, but what do I know....

I'd also like to take this space to say that the Kjaerhus Audio Classic Auto-Filter is the coolest plugin EVER.

I am now very happy I finally decided to buy a computer.

Any input on synths/vsti's is appreciated. Thanks!
Stully

It probably wasn't done on a keyboard, it was probably "step-programmed" by placing individual notes on the piano roll one at a time - or perhaps by playing it slower and speeding up the resulting midi file.

Oddly enough, I use an old casio as a controller, through a USB midisport. Cheap and effective enough. I'm no keyboard player, however. :)

Yeah, that auto filter is a great thing. :)

There are some great free VSTi out there to get you started - try the Triangle, and try the Cheesemachine and Ticky clav - links at KVR.