VSTi Recording Setup pointers

Does any1 have a good site or set of tutorials for setting up and using vsti’s to record tracks?

I have been over the NT help files and I am just not getting it.

This is me not Flavio’s efforts of that I am sure of.

I just basically need to be taken by the hand and step by step shown how to set up a stereo track and record a wave file into it from a vsti synth. With midi input and/or free running

btw I am using NT4.0.

Thanks,

Curt

I was having the same questions a while back, and basically it comes down to…you can’t record the audio from the vsti directly unless you send it out of your soundcard and then physically patch it back into another input (pair of inputs).

So, you are faced with this hardware patch back, or recording the midi input (or sequencing it) and then rendering the vsti track after the fact.

I was disappointed that it’s this way, but I think its par for the course as far as vsti’s and DAW software goes, not just an Ntrack limitation.

Someone else may have to walk you through the process of midi recording and rendering though, as I never tried it.

Good luck.

JS

Well, what is the question? Going from a VSTi track that is playing sound to a wav file? Or recording the midi track? You do understand that you need a midi track first, right? To create this you can either sequence it or input it using a midi controller. If you do that and want the sound of the vsti as a reference, you simply need to load the vsti, send the sound of the blank midi track you are recording to it, and then be sure to press the “live” button. You will hear the effect as you play. But there will be a lag. That is kinda built into the system. Hard to get around it when using soft synths. Now, once you have the midi file recorded, all you need to do is convert that file to a wav. And all you have to do there is mixdown. Solo the midi track (don’t solo the VSTi instrument track). Click mixdown. It will create a stereo wav of the vsti. You don’t have to use the midi to wav wizard, since you are using the vsti. no problem. You don’t record directly into a wav file like you were saying. Now, I guess you could if you wanted to. You could either do a hardware patch as suggested. Or you could set up your soundcard to record “wav/midi” and not “line/mic in”. Given you have that selection, which most soundcards I have encontered do. But why would you do that? what would be the point? You can’t play live w/o some sort of lag (in my experience and to my knowledge, anyways). So you are going have lag in your file if you record your live playing as a wav, which you will have to adjust for. You could also have playing mistakes due to the lag you are hearing, and then you can’t go back and edit the mistakes, which eliminates the most important and benificial part of midi. Anyways, I don’t know if this helped or not. If you simply want to know how to take a midi file and an already set up vsti and turn it into a wav, I hope I have answered your question at least in part. If you want to know how to SET UP a vsti, well that is no problem either. But I will save that explination until I know you need it. It is a common question that gets asked around here a lot. So don’t feel that you are alone in this.

fish

Hi,

I use midi quite a bit so I do this regularly. I’ve recently started using v4 and I’ve just tested this method of producing a wave (audio) file from a midi track playing a vst-i synth and IT STILL WORKS.

What you do is this:

1. Assuming you have a Midi file that is linked to a vst-i and it plays ok so you can hear it.

2. Mute all track aprt from the Midi one you want to process

3. Select “File > Mixdown” and click the “more options” button.

4. Make sure the "Process master channel box is ticked.

5. Go ahead and mixdown.

The resulting wave file should be what you want.

Mike F

Hey all thanks for the info. I usually use NTrack for mastering tracks that have already been laid down to a master stereo buss.

With my upgrade to V4 and the fact that I find a wild hair growing…well you know where. I wanted to check out the VSTi usage.

This info you all have given will get me going and play err working for a while.

Thanks,

Curt

Quote (butttruck @ Oct. 15 2004,22:46)
I was having the same questions a while back, and basically it comes down to....you can't record the audio from the vsti directly unless you send it out of your soundcard and then physically patch it back into another input (pair of inputs).

I remember when you first brought this up. Why can you not just record the wav output instead of using a physical patch? I remember you were trying to use the VSTi like a hardware synth and paly it live, but I have a hard head and wonder still if there isn't a better way.

so there is no way to buss the vsti output to a new audio track internally? Is that the problem?

so there is no way to buss the vsti output to a new audio track internally? Is that the problem?

Ah Clark thats what I was trying to do and explain. But you do it better.

Curt

I have a small mixer and it can be done that way i patch the tape out back to a input on the mixer and adjust the volume and arm an audio track and hit record it get a solid audio track, but the mix down version is the only way to do this internally

Wow. I guess I always thought you could do this with N-track, but I could be wrong. If you cannot, that is a bigtime bummer…

Can someone confirm this is missing?

If you can record wav output, then you can record the sound w/o using mixdown. Just go to the windows recording settings and set it to record wav audio and not line/mic in. But it is done live, and usually isn’t quite as good a quality as the mixdown version (IMO). I would guess that maybe it is because it has to go through the soundcards playback part and passes through playback volumes and effects. I think it is much better and faster to just use mixdown. But that is just me.

fish

So there is no bussing internally in Ntrack?

wow. Here I thought it did.

Quote (savingedmund @ Oct. 17 2004,01:01)
... Just go to the windows recording settings and set it to record wav audio and not line/mic in.

Now, I don't know about IndiQa's set up or soundcard, but I'm using a MOTU 828, so windows sound control settings are disabled. As far as I know, the MOTU does not have the ability to route an out to an in internally. I am disappointed in Ntrack not having internal bussing abilities, but I do realize that I can record the midi input and then mixdown later. Just wanted to clarify why I can't just record the output of the vsti.

Maybe flavio can whip up some code and add internal bussing in future version. If I could assign an output or group to the input of a track, then my original problem would never had existed.

JS
As far as I know, the MOTU does not have the ability to route an out to an in internally.

My cheapo $20 SBLive! can do this, I have to imagine a MOTU can as well. Actually, I can't think of a single sound card that doesn't allow you to record the wave output. Crankz, are you around? You have a MOTU, don't you? In my EMU and Creative cards I have played with, you just set the sound card's mixer to record the wave output, so in MOTU I would imagine it has a similar interface that allows this.

/still hard headed

I’m not sure if I’m missing something but isn’t mixing down the vst-i output analagous to recording it?

Surely the purpose is to have a wave file that represents the output of the vst-i and whether you call it recording or mixing down the result is the same.

Mike F

It’s bouncing to a new track, something EASILY done with internal bussing.

Blows my mind that N-track cannot do this…

It is the same end. Recording it live just TAKES LONGER than offline mixdown.

I am not even talking about offline mixdown. Shouldn’t have to. Should be abke to simply buss the output of the VSTi track to a new audio track. Simple.

Quote (clark_griswold @ Oct. 17 2004,21:17)
I am not even talking about offline mixdown. Shouldn't have to. Should be abke to simply buss the output of the VSTi track to a new audio track. Simple.

Huh? It's times liek this we need to be able to teleport to see what the other guy really means. I don't knwo where the confusion is here. Clark, what is the end result that "bussing" the VSTi creates? Is it a wav file or just a way to control the VSTis output as though it were an audio track. The reason I ask is that both are possible and I am wondering if there is a 3rd scenario I am not thinking of. This just seems liek this thread is taking a very simple thing and making it harder than it needs to be. I use VSTis all the time for 90% of what I do anymore it seems and have never run into anything N can't do, so I am wondering what everyone is talking about.