VSTi Tempo Sync (Oscillator, LFO, etc.)

Cannot get (any) VSTi tempo to sync

I have tried, unsuccessfully, for MANY HOURS to get any of my VSTi synths to sync with N-Track’s tempo.
Obviously, this is important when using arpeggiators and such – and even more so if there are tempo changes during the song.

I’ve got both MTC/SMPTE and MIDI time code outputs enabled.
I’ve tried changing the output device from the “Microsoft GS Wavetable…” to “mio” (my MIDI I/O hardware) with no effect. Not sure what else to try.

None of the VSTi’s appear to “see” an incoming tempo signal.

Anyone with experience in this area – thank you in advance for your assistance!

Also, I have installed a MIDI Loopback Driver, per the N-Track manual recommendations.
The one I installed is “LoopBe1” (http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html) but I can’t find any way to connect the virtual cable to any VSTi.

I’ve looked at alternative loopback drivers to see if the documentation or interface makes any of this easier, but haven’t had any success there either.

Frustrating.
Would be nice if the N-Track documentation included some/any kind of example showing how to accomplish this feat of black magic…

I don’t understand why the VSTi’s don’t automatically follow the tempo being provided by N-Track.

Given that the VSTi’s do not have a way to assign a MIDI source, I don’t get what a MIDI Loopback Driver is supposed to do, exactly.

What version of n-Track are you using?

PACO

I’m on version 8.

Quote: (cebrith @ Jan. 31 2017, 5:35 PM)

I have tried, unsuccessfully, for MANY HOURS to get any of my VSTi synths to sync with N-Track's tempo.
Obviously, this is important when using arpeggiators and such -- and even more so if there are tempo changes during the song.

I've got both MTC/SMPTE and MIDI time code outputs enabled.
I've tried changing the output device from the "Microsoft GS Wavetable..." to "mio" (my MIDI I/O hardware) with no effect.
Not sure what else to try.

None of the VSTi's appear to "see" an incoming tempo signal.

Anyone with experience in this area -- thank you in advance for your assistance!

MIDI clock and MTC are used to sync between n-Track and other apps or external devices.
VST instrument can get the tempo directly from n-Track, without using MIDI.
What VST instruments are you exactly using?

Flavio.

Flavio,

I have tried the following VSTi’s and have been unable to get any of them to sync with the NTrack bpm:

1) AM Unifyer 3 – with LFO1 and LFO2 BPM set to “Sync”

2) Motion 2.8 with Delay In/Ex set to “Ex”

3) TranceDrive with “Host Sync” turned on

4) Synth1 with Sync set to “Tempo”

5) SuperTron 2.6 with Tempo source set to "syst"

Thank you for the assistance.

James

Cebrith,

we’ve tested TranceDrive e SuperTron VSTi with n-Track 32 bit and the sync seems to work properly.

In TranceDrive I was able to sync the LFOs and the effects, by enabling/disabling the “sync” button in each section. Honestly I haven’t understood the function of the “Host Sync” button on the bottom-right of the window, but I think it refers to the controls of that section (portamento, pitch bend, ecc)

As regards SuperTron, there is a control with label “Tempo bpm” that follows the bpm changes performed in n-Track.

I’ve also seen that the VSTIs that I tested, are 32 bit only.
Are you using the 32 bit version of n-Track?

If no, it means that you are using the instruments in “bridged” mode (you should see a label “[bridged]” near the plugin name, in the plug-ins list of the mixer stripe), i.e. a mode that allows to use 32 bit plug-ins with n-Track 64 bit. In bridged mode, is possible that some plugin features (like the communication with host) don’t work properly.

We are making the “bridge” feature as stable as possible and this issue will be fixed soon.

Andrea | n-Track.

Andrea,

Thank you for the reply. I was able to get the VST instruments to sync with N-Track using the 32-bit version.

Unfortunately, that’s where my good luck ended.

If I attempted to freeze a MIDI track controlling a VSTi, only a few seconds at the beginning of the wav file would have valid data. I encountered the same issue when trying to Mixdown the MIDI track (in the background or while playing).

I reverted to N-Track 7.1.2 and, using the same VST instruments, did not have these issues.

I think I’ll stick to the older version for now.

Cebrith,

unfortunately I’m not been able to reproduce the issue you reported.
Could you please send to andrea@ntrack.com a .sng file and a list of actions that leads to problem?

Andrea