WANT MORE INPUT VOLUME FROM EXT MIDI KEYBOARD

HAVE CREATIVE SB AUDIGY PLATINUM CARD AND ROLAND A30 EXTERNAL KEYBOARD. MIDI CABLE COMES DIRECTLY FROM MIDI OUT ON KEYBOARD TO MIDI IN ON SOUNDCARD. THE RECORDING INPUT SELECTED ON THE SOUNDCARD IS MIDI SYNTH WITH THE FADER IN THE MAX POSITION. SOUND CARD PLAY OPTIONS: ALL FADERS FULLY ADVANCED WITH NOTHING MUTED. CREATIVE SURROUND MIXER: VOL CONTROL AND MIDI FADER IN MAX POSITION–NOTHING MUTED.

CANNOT GET MORE THAN -15 dB INPUT SIGNAL WHENEVER I STRIKE KEY ON EXT. KEYBOARD. ANYONE OUT THERE WITH A SIMILAR SETUP KNOW HOW I MIGHT GET A STRONGER INPUT SIGNAL ? ?

THANKS
5STRING

A -15db input signal is fine in the 24 bit recording world, depending on the noise floor of your gear.
Once you record the track, you can always raise the playback level of the track via it’s track fader.

As its midi coming in, you are not recording signal as such, just the velocity controller. When you record the midi to a piano roll, what velocities are you getting? if 127, thats it - as high as it goes. What are you using for the sample? softsynth? soundfont?

Maaszy

btw. all caps is often considered “yelling” when typing. try hitting the caps lock off… :)

I find all-caps stuff irritating to read – it takes more effort. All lower case is better if for some reason it’s not convenient to hit the shift key.

The problem could be your MIDI keyboard or it could be your soundcard. There’s a way to figure out which. Go to the MIDI piano roll and paste in some notes with velocities of 127. Line up at least 4 or 5 at the same point (i.e., like a big chord). Then hit play and see what you get on the meters. If all you get is -15, then it’s the soundcard. If you get closer to zero then it’s the MIDI keyboard.

If it’s your keyboard:

Is your MIDI keyboard dynamic? (When you hit the keys harder, are the notes louder?) If not, there’s probably a way to configure what MIDI velocity value it sends. If you set it to 127, you’ll get the most volume. Which isn’t necessarily what you want, but there you go.

On the SBLive and Audigy series, selecting the MIDI synth as the recording input in the Creative mixer makes the card directly record the synth’s digital output, so the noise floor is non-existent, and you don’t need to worry if the level is a bit low. Make sure Ntrack is set to record audio if that’s what you want. You can choose to record only the MIDI notes (this is NOT the synth output, but the input). Look for the keyboard/microphone button on the toolbars.

Playing single notes with all volumes/velocities at max should not give you max record signal levels anyway. As learjeff says, playing a big, loud chord will give closer to max signal level. Just watch that you don’t exceed the max signal level (ie digital clipping).

The signal level also depends on which soundfont you use, which instrument patch in the soundfont, etc…

Matt.