War-torn Iraq

Eye of the Beholder

In California

"How about a monthly media dose of “600 women raped in February alone!” Or try, “Over 600 violent robberies and assaults in March, with no end in sight!” Those do not even make up all of the state’s yearly 200,000 violent acts that law enforcement knows about."

It really is a matter of perspective is it not?

Obviously Dubya, Cheney amd Rummy need to lay out plans to “straighten out” California too. ???

D

Yep Midget, there is crime all over the world. The problem with this post is that you are equating the criminal actions of… er… criminals with the actions of the US armed forces. I, for one, do not believe that what our men and women on the ground are doing is criminal. I do believe, however, that what their leaders have sent them to do IS criminal.

You see, if you teach your young child to punch a friend in the face, then you are responsible for that action, not the child. And if you are the leader of a powerful armed forces and tell them to kill hundreds of thousands of people so that you can make those people “free”, then that is a criminal action.

The mission is a failure. No one is free. We have not brought peace to the area. All we have done is completely destabilize what was a semi-stable area. And it is not the fault of the armed forces. It is the fault of the criminal actions of the leaders.

So although it is sad that the US has problems with crime, it is even sadder that we choose not to spend our tax money cleaning up said crime. We instead spend our money screwing up other countries.

I heard Rumsfeld complaining that the reporters were too concerned with death tolls in Iraq. He said that the death toll in the US for auto accidents was even higher than the death toll for Americans in Iraq. Of course he has to find a rationalization to the failed policies he has put forward. It makes it somehow less his responsibility that thousands of Americans have died and tens of thousands of Americans have been maimed or wounded when compared to “automobile accidents”. The real difference being that he helped send those Americans to die and be maimed while auto accidents are a part of driving. Each individual chooses to drive a vehicle while the Bush crew sent our sons and daughters to Iraq and kept them there for what has turned out to be a total fabrication (read lie). :angry:

I live in CA and we don’t have groups of people, based on different religious beliefs, going around & committing executions. The police are in control out here & we have civil order. To even suggest that any place in America is like the situation in Iraq is just, well stupid.

I just read an article about Iraq in Atlantic about the murders in Haditha. The article puts into perspective how many really BIG mistakes were made in Iraq which actually created the setting for these murders in Haditha. The former military commander was basically sending troops from city to city to fight the insurgents w/o developing a strategy to work with local law enforcement. The thing was WRONG & as soon as the troops left, the police would all get murdered. When the marines went back to Haditha, it was a CRAZY situation. And while it does appear that they did murder innocent civilians, I believe that they should be forgiven because they were fighting in H*LL. We’ve killed many more innocent civilians, by direct order, in the course of this war than these marines have. The irony is that Bush actually praised this same group of marines a year earlier for heroic deeds & then called them bad, w/o realizing that it was the same group (with some new marines in it).

Midget, I don’t get the author’s point. :(

I think I get it. He’s making the point that Iraq is doing about on par with California. That’s fair. Iraq is actually in good shape and that the stories showing otherwise are exploitative. If the numbers are true then it’s more than fair to make that rationalization.

Why should the US continue to have troops in Iraq if the situation there is as good as we have in California?

Thanks Jeff! You’ve pointed us to a story that make a great argument against a continued occupation.

Bring all of them home now. It’s only the right thing to do. Heck , for that matter, send them to California. That’s OUR homeland and our citizens obviously need protection.

Listen the right-wing already tried to compare Iraq to CA right after we invaded. Brit Hume made some really stupid statements about this on FOX news. Search on the net for them - they’ll show up.

And there’s no right-wing bias in this country :laugh:

Quote (Mr Soul @ Oct. 31 2006,14:39)
Listen the right-wing already tried to compare Iraq to CA right after we invaded. Brit Hume made some really stupid statements about this on FOX news. Search on the net for them - they'll show up.

And there's no right-wing bias in this country :laugh:

you hates whites

Just another day in California - Right Jeff?

Quote (phoo @ Oct. 31 2006,15:06)
Just another day in California - Right Jeff?

but how withoust dos IRAK cant you tell where abouts IT SIPLY ISNT RIGHT when not only IRAK but EUROPE?

Oh yeah phoo - just the other day, there was a wedding in the church down the street from me & the entire wedding party was blown to bits :p

And at my local school, they took out some teachers & executed them on the socceer field for teaching girls.

And then some wacko religious nut lite a fire down the road that’s been burning for a week. And then we’ve got a Nazi for a governor. It’s just crazy out here :laugh:

Quote (Mr Soul @ Oct. 31 2006,15:55)
Oh yeah phoo - just the other day, there was a wedding in the church down the street from me & the entire wedding party was blown to bits :p

And at my local school, they took out some teachers & executed them on the socceer field for teaching girls.

And then some wacko religious nut lite a fire down the road that's been burning for a week. And then we've got a Nazi for a governor. It's just crazy out here :laugh:

then i ask you why is who you are to dish FALSE LIBRETY from AMERICA to IRAK!

And then some wacko religious nut lite a fire down the road that's been burning for a week. And then we've got a Nazi for a governor. It's just crazy out here :laugh: