Warning: For you Microsoft Internet Explorer users

This is a bulletin I wrote recently, initially posted somewhere else, and decided to copy it here:

For those of you who still use the Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) browser, an emergency patch has been released by Microsoft today (Dec 17, 2008), to fix a newly discovered vulnerability in this browser that can make a hacker control your computer. Because of the critical severity of this exploit, patches have been made to update all the way down to IE version 5 (versions 7 and 8 are the current versions). This mostly applies to those who use currently supported versions of Microsoft Windows. You should be able to use Microsoft Update if you have it enabled on your computer, else go to http://www.microsoft.com to update.

Note that I would have started this bulletin saying “For those of you still stupid enough to use Internet Explorer…” but I didn’t. :) I do not use Internet Explorer (except in some instances, such as for testing my websites or quick browsing) and haven’t for a number of years. I suggest everyone to go to a safer browser such as Firefox and/or Opera (and I have already converted a few of you in the past to these better browsers).

See this article for more info:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s…crosoft

Official security advisory:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/961051.mspx

IE has sucked for sooo many years… I use Firefox since waaaayyyy back.

Thanks for the heads-up though. My “corporate” computer trained wife insists on using IE, so I’ll make sure we are safe.

D

I’m a creature of habit…
I Think…

How do you get off using a browser and mailbox that already comes with the operating system that everybody has to install to make just about every utility and application run…
Everyone that I know asks me if I’m still on that Microsoft stuff…
But… How do you make the break from it…
????
AND…
Is-It-Painless…
?

I try my best not to abuse-or-break anything that I use…
As Well…

Bill…

Thanx Techie - never use it either but for some reason my grand daughter thinks nickjr looks better in it so I’ll go grab da patch.

Quote: (Dubious @ Dec. 17 2008, 11:19 PM)

Thanks for the heads-up though. My "corporate" computer trained wife insists on using IE, so I'll make sure we are safe.

I know how that is. Sigh.

Well I suppose it’s pretty much the same across all big corporations who buy vast amounts of licensed MS-Windows. They want to make sure the browser is fully compatible (and secure) with the OS, hence IE with Windows (plus some sort of EULA compliance with MS I guess). At Intel Corp. (where I used to work), that was the deal. I recall the time IE7 came about and IT warned everyone site-wide to hold off using it until testing (within Intel) gave us a thumbs up. Whatever the case, I installed Firefox at my own workstation anyway. :p

As I mentioned above, I will use IE for those times I design & test a website to make sure it looks “right”, for it sometimes may not cosmetically, due to some coding differences between the half dozen or so browsers I use (IE, FF, MyIE, Maxthon, Netscape, Cometbird, Chrome, Seamonkey, etc etc… and sometimes even Mosaic, heh). Actually it’s because I can’t write web code worth a darn. :p

I haven’t looked further at this new IE vulnerability but I will at least applaud MS for getting off their butts and doing something about it since most of the planet still uses IE.

Quote: (woxnerw @ Dec. 18 2008, 12:09 AM)

I'm a creature of habit..
I Think..

How do you get off using a browser and mailbox that already comes with the operating system that everybody has to install to make just about every utility and application run..
Everyone that I know asks me if I'm still on that Microsoft stuff..
But.. How do you make the break from it..
????
AND..
Is-It-Painless..
?

I try my best not to abuse-or-break anything that I use..
As Well..

Bill..

If you think you're ok with IE (and OE?) and haven't gotten slammed by malicious code then well that's fine and up to you.
You could try Firefox and see if that works with your system. Firefox2 is still compatible with Windows 98, otherwise Firefox3 (XP and above only).
Note though that FF can be more heavy on the operating system, so it will depend on how powerful your rig(s) is. If not good for you ... uninstall it!
Quote:

I installed Firefox at my own workstation anyway.

Me too. We have the big license deal with MS. MS for every darn thing! Except for what I rather sneakily installed myself... See... I err... kind of got ahold of the Sys Admin "Super Password"... SHHHH....

Seriously, I think the last IE version I used with any regularity was 4 or 5. I used Opera for a long time and then tried Firefox and have been on it ever since. No problems... :agree:

D