Warren Buffett thinks more like I do

Buffett deepens dollar worries.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Mr Buffett stepped up his warning about the US trade deficit and the need to finance it with foreign investment, devoting more than two full pages of the annual report to the topic.

“This force-feeding of American wealth to the rest of the world is now proceeding at the rate of $1.8bn daily, an increase of 20 per cent since I wrote you last year,” he said. “Consequently, other countries and their citizens now own a net of about $3,000bn of the US”

In particular, he warned that this meant a sizeable portion of what US citizens earned in future would have to be paid to foreign landlords.

“A country that is now aspiring to an “Ownership Society” will not find happiness in – and I’ll use hyperbole here for emphasis – a “Sharecropper’s Society,” added Mr Buffett. “But that’s precisely where our trade policies, supported by Republicans and Democrats alike, are taking us.”

Buffett attacks American spending junkies.

<!–QuoteBegin>
“Without policy changes, currency markets could even become disorderly and generate spillover effects, both political and financial,” Mr Buffett warned. “Such a scenario is a far from remote possibility that policymakers should be considering now,” the billionaire said, though he conceded policymakers’ “bent, however, is to lean towards not so benign neglect”.

Mr Buffett said in the last 10 years foreign powers and their citizens had accrued about $3 trillion worth of US debt and assets such as equities and real estate. At current rates, he predicted that in another 10 years’ time the net ownership of the US by outsiders would amount to $11 trillion.

“This annual royalty paid [to] the world would undoubtedly produce significant political unrest in the US. Americans … would chafe at the idea of perpetually paying tribute to their creditors and owners abroad. A country that is now aspiring to an ‘ownership society’ will not find happiness in - and I’ll use hyperbole here for emphasis - a ‘sharecropper’s society’.”

Yep. We are quickly heading for a “Have and Have Not” situation with NOTHING in the middle.

Example. I live near the so-called (well, used to be) “Sock Capital of the World”. In the last several years the owners of these factories have been shipping their manufacturing plants to Honduras, Indonesia etc… When pressed one of them said, “Economics my boy. I have approximately the same number of people working here and in Honduras. My weekly payroll is 90,000 dollars here and 9,000 dollars in Honduras.” Well, when is the price of footwear and hosiery going to drop? Mr Big bucks replies: “It ain’t.” Whilst grinning like a #$%$ eating dog I might add…

His son, (a worhtless piece of white trash) is building a 7.6 Million Dollar house.

They are the “HAVES”.

TG

Quote (gtr4him @ Mar. 07 2005,13:01)
Yep. We are quickly heading for a "Have and Have Not" situation with NOTHING in the middle.

Example. I live near the so-called (well, used to be) "Sock Capital of the World". In the last several years the owners of these factories have been shipping their manufacturing plants to Honduras, Indonesia etc.. When pressed one of them said, "Economics my boy. I have approximately the same number of people working here and in Honduras. My weekly payroll is 90,000 dollars here and 9,000 dollars in Honduras." Well, when is the price of footwear and hosiery going to drop? Mr Big bucks replies: "It ain't." Whilst grinning like a #$%$ eating dog I might add.....

His son, (a worhtless piece of white trash) is building a 7.6 Million Dollar house.

They are the "HAVES".

TG

So herein lies a question...

What drove this mfg's labor cost to $90,000 a week at his plant? Union labor, perhaps?

Just curious...
Quote (clark_griswold @ Mar. 07 2005,14:13)
What drove this mfg's labor cost to $90,000 a week at his plant? Union labor, perhaps?

Union Labor equals living wages for the average worker, and protection from exploitation by the employer.

Unfortunately, Union Labor also removes the motivation for the average worker to strive for excellence because the lazy and stupid are compensated exactly the same as the smart and driven. The only incentive is to do just enough to keep from getting fired.

It also does a pretty good job of tying the hands of the employer when dealing employees that should be fired. There used to be a guy in my workgroup (he's in another group now) that would disappear for 3-4 hours at a time -- he was sleeping in his truck! (we even took pictures one day) He was always late in the morning. And by late, I mean an hour or two. Some days he just didn't show up at all. At the time, our closest supervisor was based in another city. After several complaints, I believe Mr. Sleepy got a firm talking to "straighten up, or I'm going to have to scold you again!" He was also told that he had to call the boss every morning when he got to work. So... Sleepy still comes in late, but calls the boss from his cell phone and tells him that he's arrived in the office on time. As far as I know, he still has a job. If they ever try to fire him, he's either gonna claim alcoholism and go the "Employee Assistance" route, or he's gonna play the race card somehow and get LULAC involved.

Another guy that I used to work with would take off in the company car every day without telling anyone where he was going, or what he was doing... At the time, there were very valid reasons for being "in the field" but mostly we think he went to take care of his boat. Speaking of his boat... He used to get on the "on-call" list and take "call-outs" (which we get paid per-call) while he was out on his boat... Well... Of course he couldn't use his laptop to get on the network, so he just referred the call to another tech. Here's the kicker - boat guy gets paid for taking the call, and his buddy gets paid for picking up th referral. He would also get calls concerning a particular device than we administer, he always referred those calls to his buddy (double pay again!) because he hadn't been trained on the device. My supervisor at the time sent him to school for training and said that there would be no more referrals - if you take the call you have to fix the problem. Boat guy removed himself from the call-duty list as soon as he got back from school, and never took another call-out again. He finally had to retire after he punched the guy that he caught porking his wife (she works here, too) in the desk in one of the conference rooms here in the building. Even then, I don't see how he would've gotten fired, he is among the protected class of citizens, he would have gone running to the NAACP.

And then there's the guy that spends 45-60 minutes on the toilet... Anybody remember "Fiberman?" It's a true story. Oh.. And Fiberman was Boat-guy’s “call-out” accomplice. This guy is Anglo so he's got no one to cry to if they ever tried to put the hammer down on him. However, I have heard rumors that he's trying to figure out how to get himself on disability... Plus, he’s got too much time (25+ years) with the company to get fired, it’s cheaper to keep him than fire him, or something like that…

Yep... Unions are indeed a beautiful thing. At least they used to be before they got infiltrated and diluted by people that would rather "work-the-system" than "work-for-a-living."

Don't ask me where I work, I ain't saying.

No it’s a non-union place. They really don’t pay that well. 7 -10 bucks an hour. The more skilled folks get the higher pay, machine fixers, electricians etc… The sock monkeys don’t make much at all.

What I’m hearing from most owners/upper management tyoes is it’s the cost of benefits that is killing them. Insurance premiums are murder.

TG

Quote (gtr4him @ Mar. 07 2005,15:09)
No it's a non-union place. They really don't pay that well. 7 -10 bucks an hour.

That's nowhere near enough to live on... ???
Quote (John @ Mar. 07 2005,15:06)
Quote (clark_griswold @ Mar. 07 2005,14:13)

Union Labor equals living wages for the average worker, and protection from exploitation by the employer.

Unfortunately, Union Labor also removes the motivation for the average worker to strive for excellence because the lazy and stupid are compensated exactly the same as the smart and driven. The only incentive is to do just enough to keep from getting fired.

It also does a pretty good job of tying the hands of the employer when dealing employees that should be fired. There used to be a guy in my workgroup (he's in another group now) that would disappear for 3-4 hours at a time -- he was sleeping in his truck! (we even took pictures one day) He was always late in the morning. And by late, I mean an hour or two. Some days he just didn't show up at all. At the time, our closest supervisor was based in another city. After several complaints, I believe Mr. Sleepy got a firm talking to "straighten up, or I'm going to have to scold you again!" He was also told that he had to call the boss every morning when he got to work. So... Sleepy still comes in late, but calls the boss from his cell phone and tells him that he's arrived in the office on time. As far as I know, he still has a job. If they ever try to fire him, he's either gonna claim alcoholism and go the "Employee Assistance" route, or he's gonna play the race card somehow and get LULAC involved.

Another guy that I used to work with would take off in the company car every day without telling anyone where he was going, or what he was doing... At the time, there were very valid reasons for being "in the field" but mostly we think he went to take care of his boat. Speaking of his boat... He used to get on the "on-call" list and take "call-outs" (which we get paid per-call) while he was out on his boat... Well... Of course he couldn't use his laptop to get on the network, so he just referred the call to another tech. Here's the kicker - boat guy gets paid for taking the call, and his buddy gets paid for picking up th referral. He would also get calls concerning a particular device than we administer, he always referred those calls to his buddy (double pay again!) because he hadn't been trained on the device. My supervisor at the time sent him to school for training and said that there would be no more referrals - if you take the call you have to fix the problem. Boat guy removed himself from the call-duty list as soon as he got back from school, and never took another call-out again. He finally had to retire after he punched the guy that he caught porking his wife (she works here, too) in the desk in one of the conference rooms here in the building. Even then, I don't see how he would've gotten fired, he is among the protected class of citizens, he would have gone running to the NAACP.

And then there's the guy that spends 45-60 minutes on the toilet... Anybody remember "Fiberman?" It's a true story. Oh.. And Fiberman was Boat-guy’s “call-out” accomplice. This guy is Anglo so he's got no one to cry to if they ever tried to put the hammer down on him. However, I have heard rumors that he's trying to figure out how to get himself on disability... Plus, he’s got too much time (25+ years) with the company to get fired, it’s cheaper to keep him than fire him, or something like that…

Yep... Unions are indeed a beautiful thing. At least they used to be before they got infiltrated and diluted by people that would rather "work-the-system" than "work-for-a-living."

Don't ask me where I work, I ain't saying.

The place I work is Union John. I'm not a member of course, I'm one of "those guys"..... Management. Your tale is all too familiar to me. For example, when we have a machine down for major maintenance, MOST of my guys bust their humps to get that machine turned around and back to making money. I try to the best I can for those guys. It sucks though, because of the wonderful "Union", I can treat them only as well as I treat the sorriest POS I have that wouldn't go the extra mile to put his own head out if it were ablaze.

TG

was just curious…my assumption was the higher labor costs had to be driven by something.

Quote (clark_griswold @ Mar. 07 2005,15:59)
was just curious...my assumption was the higher labor costs had to be driven by something.

This guy had no room to talk if he was only paying his people $7-10 an hour. The more likely scenario is that he found out he could take his production inot the third world and pocket the money he saved. But my question is... Who is gonna buy all the socks when everybody is unemployed? Seriously... How does that work? What does the USA actually manufacture anymore? When I was growing up, my Dad worked in a steel mill, people from church worked at the GM plant, etc...

John - I agree your pro’s & con’s of unions. To me, unions are the lesser of two evils however, and I say we’re better off with them than w/o them.

Clarke - what’s wrong w/ making $90,000/year. Maybe this is in some area that costs alot to live in?

Mr Soul

huh?

I have ZERO problem with making $90,000 a year

Quote (Mr Soul @ Mar. 07 2005,17:15)
John - I agree your pro's & con's of unions. To me, unions are the lesser of two evils however, and I say we're better off with them than w/o them.

Clarke - what's wrong w/ making $90,000/year. Maybe this is in some area that costs alot to live in?

Mr Soul

Nobody mentioned 90K a year. The salaries he PAYS out comes to 90K week in the US versus 9K week in Honduras for approximately 350-400 employees at each location.

Just a clarification.

TG
Quote (clark_griswold @ Mar. 07 2005,17:19)
huh?

I have ZERO problem with making $90,000 a year

Heh. ME neither! Where do I sign up?

TG

If that's true, how does one interpret this remark?
Quote (Mr Soul @ Mar. 07 2005,17:34)

If that's true, how does one interpret this remark?
The sentence in question means that every *week* the guy paid out $90,000 in labor costs. That's a lot of socks.

correct

I understand that guys but I know that Clark doesn’t like unions, and unions can help people make $90,000 - right?!?!

$90000 a week and 350 employees is in the $250 a week range.
$9000 a week and 350 employees is in the $25 a week range - $5 a day for 5 workdays.

Yet he still sells his socks for the same price.

Yep…I can see why this guy would do this.

Quote (Mr Soul @ Mar. 07 2005,19:31)
I understand that guys but I know that Clark doesn't like unions, and unions can help people make $90,000 - right?!?!

It doesn't say anything about any one individual making that much money...