Was it Love or Indigestion?

Death by Guitar

Here’s anew song weve had problems with & we cant work out what weve done wrong as weve done everything the same as we usually do it

http://deathbyguitar.webplus.net/page9.html

I couldnrt get the guitar tone i wanted …nothing new
some of the vocals have that funny efect on them …nothing new
but we cant get the finished song to sound as good quality as normal,& it hasnt converted to mp3 very well for some reason
we are making a video for this so want to get it sounding as good as poss
what do you think fellas? any sugestions?

thanks

Tina

It looks like the image is over the link somehow.

Here’s the link:
Link

So what’s the problem? There is certainly room for improvement… but this isn’t like left field unlistenable awful as you seem to hint at.

I like the sound, but it is difficult to understand what you’re singing, in several places, I have to admit. Perhaps you might be able to arrange for someone else in the forum (like tom or jerm) to try mixing the song, maybe they can go in a direction that isn’t occurring to you?

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Nov. 10 2010, 9:33 AM)

It looks like the image is over the link somehow.

Here's the link:
Link

So what's the problem? There is certainly room for improvement... but this isn't like left field unlistenable awful as you seem to hint at.

Its not a link bubba its a inline player which we made really small so it fitted into the package better, if you click on the start arrow button it plays

i didnt say i thouht it was awful i said we felt the sound quality was bad comparred to what we normally get & also that we cant get the mix right so it sounds clearer

Yes danny the vocals are not as clear as we want them, yet were using the same equipment as before & the same plugins as before. we dont know whats wrong

Tina

Ah, OK, in my browser it rendered the image over the player, so I couldn’t get to the play button.

Well, I guess what I am saying is that I don’t think anything is “wrong” persea except the mix needing work. I mean, the problems are not like something is broken in the software ot the takes are bad if that makes sense. The vox need to come forward, the bass is quite good, and you might want to get heavy handed on the rhythm guitar pan. All that old Pixies, Social D, Joe Queer etc stuff was double tracked and slam the guitars hard right, left and go.

yep what bubba said, try that double thingy with the guitars.

I’m sure if you slap the FREEQ lead vocal preset on this it will pop the vocals up in the mix.

I’m sure you have already told me before, but I forget what frequency you are recording at 44.1k 48k?

There reason I ask is there where some known issues with MP3 conversion from 48k and the solution was to convert to 44.1 before making the MP3 conversion.

Also you are using iTunes to encode it? and why did you chose 160kpbs bitrate? or is that their standard?

On this short/small of a file I would have went with 320 which is double that…

also thank you bubba for providing the direct link in the thread I do not have the plug
to play it off the site.(quicktime Or whatever)

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Nov. 10 2010, 1:08 PM)

There reason I ask is there where some known issues with MP3 conversion from 48k and the solution was to convert to 44.1 before making the MP3 conversion.

This should not matter and anything above 128kbs should be quite usable. If this is the case, something IS broken. N should just cram the stream as is to LAME... and LAME does an excellent job of MP3 encoding.

The file says it was encoded by iTunes.

Myspace used to have issues encoding MP3’s and they were above 128kbs, their solution to users was to convert the wav. file to 44.1 before encoding, and it worked.
You are probably right, something was wrong! lol but that was the only thing I could think of if she is not using LAME or NTrack to make the mp3’s but a site source…and she says she is having issues…I don’t hear any in this file tho…so really not sure what the issue is specifically or if it is site related or software related…just throwing some ideas out there till we find out which is who.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Ah, MySpace is garbage. They can destroy anything.

But yes, I am not hearing anything here that would say the MP3 conversion made things wonky.

Great song, Tina. Listening to some Pixies stuff only the other day - that would be a perfect mix template. I look forward to hearing the tweak.

I’ll give a listen when I get to my trailer darlin’… :agree:

In the meantime, here’e yuns a :love: song…

Thanks guys this is really helpful stuff. we will remix it

jerm where do i get this FREEQ ? is it elevayta freeqboy & which you have to buy?

we cnverted it to mp3 with itunes, ntrack says it is missing something called blade enc to do it?
the mp3 sounds much more toppy than the wav & the hi hat doesnt sound right

sorry if people are having trouble with the website playing the song sarahs trying to fix it.
thank you bubba for putting the link here

pleased you liked the song tony i know i asked for help with the the mix but its always nice to get a thumbs up for the song :laugh:

Anyway im really happy cos my gnx4 arrived today althouh im not sposed to have it till christmas i had to check it worked as its seconhand.
took me 45 mins to get a sound out of it! but when i did i found some really great rhtyhm guitar sounds & rerecorded a bit of the guitar part & hey presto the mix sorted itself out! it was the crap guitar sounds from the vamp2 messing everthing up & making the mix so muddy!

Tina

unblown jonson you are incorigible posting unknown hinson in my thread
your anarchy has gone to far!!
you have to say something nice about our song to reedeem yourself!!!

Tina

Sounds like you need to reinstall LAME and maybe more. Or is it that 'ckin iTunes taking over? (don’t use it, meself)

Check n-T knows where LAME lives on your drive.

Quote: (TinaM @ Nov. 10 2010, 3:52 PM)

unblown jonson you are incorigible posting unknown hinson in my thread
your anarchy has gone to far!!
you have to say something nice about our song to reedeem yourself!!!

Tina

I will... I will... lemme get home to listen on the good system. This lappy has the "sub-micron, everything sounds like chipmunks on helium" speakers in it. :p

UJ
Quote:

This lappy has the "sub-micron, everything sounds like chipmunks on helium" speakers in it. :p

Theys good 'nuff for real perdoosers to mix on - lamer! :cool:

Mine’s got stonkin’ JBL’s in it - but it’s as thick as a brick.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 10 2010, 4:35 PM)

Quote:

This lappy has the "sub-micron, everything sounds like chipmunks on helium" speakers in it. :p

Theys good 'nuff for real perdoosers to mix on - lamer! :cool:

Ha-ha-ha-ha!! Bite me yerns ol' coot! :p

What a fun tune Miss Tina!! I like it a lot. There seems to be some comb filtering or something on the lead vocal? May be intentional? Whatever... it sounds great on my prdoocer spec'd Logitech Pooter speakerfiers... If I fire up the nearfileds, I'll have another go.

:agree: :agree:

Keep cookin'... (and SHININ'!!) Jeremy musta worked as a shoeshine kid or somethin' ? Heh... wouldn't know nothing about that mess... ain't never put in an honest days work in my whole life! STILL got me a double-wide and a '98 F-150! Life is good...

UJ - off to find some party likker... (and a womern or three...)