Watercourse

n-track recording

A piece I composed called “Watercourse.” The strings and percussion were written in Notion software, saved to a wav file, and imported into n-track. Then I overdubbed the two guitars. I used a Behringer MIC200 tube preamp on the guitar, and added n-track reverb and compression.
The wav file is at www.frogstoryrecords.com/wav/watercourse.wav

Steve

Very nice! Mix is great, guitar sounds excellant! :)

A wave file wow!

Yaz

That’s great, Steve - what does it sound like without the claves?

Quote: (Yaz @ Sep. 02 2007, 2:34 AM)

Very nice! Mix is great, guitar sounds excellant! :)

A wave file wow!

Yaz

Yeah, a wav file. The sound was so good that I didn't want to compromise it by going to mp3.

Steve
Quote: (TomS @ Sep. 02 2007, 9:14 AM)

That's great, Steve - what does it sound like without the claves?

You don't like the claves? I had my doubts about them, but I kind of liked the 3 against 2 feel, and they did sort of suggest water dripping. But maybe I'll take them out.

Anyway, this is the draft of the piece, so it will change. I'm going to add a (slightly) contrasting section. I'll revisit the clave issue.

Steve

Perhaps what bother me is not so much the instrument or the part, but the square feel of them. Samples? No variation, no push-pull.

But the whole thing is very musical.

Quote: (TomS @ Sep. 03 2007, 9:44 AM)

Perhaps what bother me is not so much the instrument or the part, but the square feel of them. Samples? No variation, no push-pull.

But the whole thing is very musical.

Good point.
Yes, it's a sample. The strings, clave, tambourine, and guiro are Notion samples. The strings are doublings of the guitar, so they get masked. The tambourine and quiro have enough space around them, rhythmically, that their "squareness" is not too noticeable.
Notion provides NTempos for triggering tracks, so I may try that on the claves.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Steve

I knew that the strings were sequenced, but that didn’t bother me as much as the claves. It might be the association with too much familiarity with unartistically used CR-78 drum machines…of which I might be as guilty as anyone…samba, anyone? :laugh:

But the track as a whole is very compelling.