WAV recording is totally out of sync

Have tried everything but nothing helps

Hi,
I´m havin big trouble with lag problems during wav recording.
The wav recording is totally out of sync with the rest of the files.
I´ve never had these problems before and I´m only running 10 tracks.
I´ve tried to adjust buffer settings, system timer, bypassed all plugins and I do only record using 48.000 sample rate due to the fact that Live Cards works best at that rate.
Nothing helps.
I´ve also reinstalled n-Track.
Can anyone help me with this problem.
Suggestions are very welcome.
I´m in the middle of at new song so it´s really frustrating :(
Regards Henrik

(Win XP Pro, service pack 2, 512 mb DDRAM, 1700 Athlon XP,
Audigy Platium soundcard)

Hey Henric.
have you tried setting the Ntrack programs priority to highest?
I’ve had lag problems in the past but usually with alot slower computers than that.
Also make shure there are no other music programs running (realplay has a habit of showin’ up uninvited.)
Also if you still can’t figure out why, maybe do a quick submix of all ten tracks you have so far.
Open a new file, and import that submix, and start trackin’ your new files from there, might make a difference. OK not a permanent solution, but could work to get you past the frustration. You can always bring your new tracks back into your old project for a final mix.
Someone who’s more knowledgeable will chime in soon enough so hang in there and try to stay positive, frustration always comes through in the end result.

jerm

Quote (jeremysdemo @ Oct. 31 2004,08:26)
Also if you still can't figure out why, maybe do a quick submix of all ten tracks you have so far.

Hi Jerm,
thanks a lot for your reply,
yea I´m already doing a submix just to be able to continue my work but as you say it´s not at permanent solution.

I will try to set program priority to highest level although I´m afraid that it can make Windows unstable.
I will stay positive :;):

Thanks!
Kind regards Henrik
:)

go in recording setting

advanced

and unchecking "keep audio device open"

it work for me

When you say you’ve bypassed all plugins.
It might be better to actually remove the plugins from the song whilst tracking.
I find that if I have plugins that N needs to compensate for, if I then untick the fx button to bypass them, everything goes out of sync.

It’s like N still processes them but just doesn’t play them. This is good cause it means you can turn fx on/off on the fly, but means that there is still a lag introduced which impacts things like real time events.

I find it better to lay down all tracks with no fx and then apply fx later.

Rich

Thanks Richum and Fleow,
I see the point about the plugins, I will certainly remove them to see if the lag persists.

I cant remember if I´ve tried to uncheck the “Keep devices open” but will also try that.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards Henrik :cool:

Rather than my usual sarcastic sick humor I’m going to try and help because no one has pointed these things out to you yet… and they’re very important.
The specs you listed should be able to support more than enough tracks for you at 16 bit 48khz(or 24 bit depending). However, you didn’t list your hard drive speed. Finding this out may be difficult if it’s a store bought system, but usually the rpm is listed on the label on your hd. I would suggest(err… you need) atleast 5400rpm, and really for any serious audio tracking or editing it should be atleast 7200rpm and preferably a 2-8mb cache(the more cache the better). Also, you need to find out if your hd is setup for the ntsf or fat32 file system. You can do this by going to control panel and clicking on your hd(once). You’ll see the specs listed on the left side bar. If it’s fat32 go to NTSF.com and read about ntsf and how to convert. NTSF deals with larger files much more efficiently than fat32. Either way, defrag, defrag, defrag damnit. Most people, esp. when tracking, are constantly erasing large audio files and creating new ones. You’ll get fragged quick. Oh, and if your file system is ntsf, never(ever!) come remotely close to your hd space limit. You’ll frag things that can’t easily be un-fragged… Besides that you’ll want to check the usual sound card settings under the control panel, check n-tracks config, and make sure you’ve got the latest sound card drivers for xp. Just so you know, I had a client with a Duron 900mhz system with 128mb ram and win98se2. He could do 10+ tracks of 24bit 48khz flawlessly. Something’s wrong…

Of course, the easiest way to fix your problem would be to pour some gasoline down inside your pc, throw in a match, marvel at it’s glory, and then go out and buy a mac and pro tools tdm.

Quote (hookahradio @ Nov. 01 2004,02:07)
Either way, defrag, defrag, defrag damnit. Most people, esp. when tracking, are constantly erasing large audio files and creating new ones. You'll get fragged quick. Oh, and if your file system is ntsf, never(ever!) come remotely close to your hd space limit. You'll frag things that can't easily be un-fragged...

Hi hookahradio!
Thanks for replying!
Perhaps it´s time to defrag.
Will try that first and then look at your other suggestions afterwards.
Hmmmmm not so hooked on your last suggestion, I´m afraid
???
Kind regards Henrik
Quote (fleow @ Oct. 31 2004,16:59)
go in recording setting

advanced

and unchecking "keep audio device open"

And the winner is!!!!!

FLEOW :D

Thanks Fleow for your advice!
I unchecked and that seemed to be the solution :;):

And thanks to everybody for your support!

Kind regards
Henrik :)

Hey Hendrik. Quick question. Which version of nTrack are you using?

I’ve been using v2.0 since it’s release with awesome performance from it. I just upgraded to v4.02 and nothing I’ve tried makes any difference. It skips and studders no matter what I do. I’m by no means a novice with this tool. I’m already regreting buying it. :( I’m thankful it was only $25.

-steale

steale,
Seeing as how you are no novice, I would assume you have tried all possible audio devices drivers and made their buffer settings accordingly. (i.e. ASIO buffers are set via the soundcards ASIO control panel … WDM and MME are within n-Track).
Skips and stutters tend to lend themselves to buffer settings, whereas audio drop out usually stems from lack of hard disk throughput.

Hi Steale,
I’m still on version 2 build 727 as its just so stable.Some people seem to record using an old version and mix with a newer one.