Weather Channel Music

:slight_smile:

Well, Iā€™ve been bored during my bouts of insomnia of late, and did this stuff over the last few weeks. I hesitate to share it, since it really is music for the Weather Channel (my friends not in the USA may not understand the reference, but certainly will understand the point), but it is what it is, and I have no shame. I think 2 or 3 have enough merit to get on the New Age channel on our cable TV. Specifically, the first, the second, and the last. But itā€™s all filler. :)

http://philosophersholiday.bandcamp.com/

I canā€™t say much, Tom, seems all I write is filler, but Iā€™ll check it out :)

The intro to the second one (Free The Bears) had me rushing back to the kitchen to see what was wrong with our cat.
I too, on occasion, have midinights. My efforts arenā€™t as pretty as yours.

Thanks, Tony. :) Thing is, I really like filler. I should not admit that.

Its all muzak to my ears!!

I like ā€˜Jittersā€™. Number two is freaky!

:agree: :agree:

Hi TomS:

Iā€™m at the third oneā€¦
But thatā€™s after listening to all of themā€¦
Iā€™m calling them ā€œElevator Musicā€ā€¦
They are greatā€¦
You can listen to them and they donā€™t distract you from concentrating on other mental thingsā€¦
That means I am able to Double Taskā€¦

At my ageā€¦
????
Double Taskingā€¦
heheheā€¦

Billā€¦

How did muzak acquire the name, filler?

ā€œMuzakā€ is, I think, a trademark name of the company called Muzak.
I donā€™t know if they originated it or what.
But I will take the opportunity to point out that one of my alma maters has published an important scholarly work on the subject:

http://www.press.umich.edu/titleDetailDesc.do?id=8718

so, was it good muzak or bad muzak?

Gotcha, cheers, Tom. Good read. ā€œmind-altering sirensā€ - nice:-)
Googling. Iā€™ve gotta dig some old ā€œgentle electronicaā€ vinyls out to check the dates - I think a couple of them were late 50s.

Quote: (TomS @ Apr. 25 2011, 3:31 PM)

"Muzak" is, I think, a trademark name of the company called Muzak.
I don't know if they originated it or what.
But I will take the opportunity to point out that one of my alma maters has published an important scholarly work on the subject:

http://www.press.umich.edu/titleDetailDesc.do?id=8718

so, was it good muzak or bad muzak?

PS. Yes, sorry, it's good filler. D'you 'play' most of your midi in?

It was all ā€œstep programmingā€ from first note to last. :)

Quote: (TomS @ Apr. 26 2011, 12:23 PM)

It was all "step programming" from first note to last.
:)

Respect!
Quote: (Mark A @ Apr. 25 2011, 5:34 PM)

Respect!

Yeah, man. Sterling work. Listening now on craptop, on low vol - track five-ish? Works well.
Quote: (TonyR @ Apr. 25 2011, 6:12 PM)

Quote: (Mark A @ Apr. 25 2011, 5:34 PM)

Respect!

Yeah, man. Sterling work. Listening now on craptop, on low vol - track five-ish? Works well.

ever try Eno's trio-spkr config as diagrammed on the sleeve of ..? (blank) -/+ +/+ -/+

There are times when I can listen to stuff like this! However, itā€™s 7am now and thatā€™s not one of them :p

Actually, some pretty tunes in there. Did u do it to order or just for fun? Iā€™ve done some of this kind of stuff, usually for people who want backings for videos. Itā€™s quite therapeutic to do. I usually knock them out in Sony Magix which is more mathematics than music, but it works :)

I did it because I like it, oddly enough, Willy.
Also, I havenā€™t been able to sleep, and ya canā€™t play drums at 2 AM with kids in the house.
:laugh:

I find it interesting that musicians (at least the ones I know) tend to denigrate this sort of thing, but many of my non-musician friends eat it up.
Hmmmā€¦sort of the James Galway effect or somethingā€¦

Quote: (TomS @ Apr. 26 2011, 5:31 AM)

I did it because I like it, oddly enough, Willy.
Also, I haven't been able to sleep, and ya can't play drums at 2 AM with kids in the house.

I find it interesting that musicians (at least the ones I know) tend to denigrate this sort of thing, but many of my non-musician friends eat it up.
Hmmm.....sort of the James Galway effect or something...

Hope u didn't misunderstand Tom. I don't dislike it at all. There are times when I'm very content to listen to some of this kind of stuff.

By the way, the 1st track is a very pretty piece.

Here's one I made earlier :) Instrumental

In my case, the piece required no musical talent whatsoever :)

No misunderstanding here!
I just donā€™t want to sully my reputation as a wild man with a loud guitar and out of control.

Oh, wait, I have no such reputation.

(nice smooth track there)

Another string to your bow, dude. If I didnā€™t know this ā€˜fillerā€™ was yours, I might have guest that it was - well, maybe from a list of ten possible writers.