weird VSTi thing

midi track changing the vsti settings

I am trying to convert an organ track. However, the VSTi’s settings will change when I return to the start of the song. It does not appear to reverting to the default setting that you get when you open the VSTi (the 1st preset in the list) but something wholly other. I have deleted all events at the start of the track and delete all extraneous tracks. I have even tried copying the notes to a new track (clone) but not the mixer settings, etc. I still have this problem. HELP!!!

fish

Oh, and it doesn’t matter what vsti it is. It does this in all of them…

Have you inspectioned your track with the Event list? maybe some “reset” hidden command.

Have you inspectioned your track with the Event list? maybe some “reset” hidden command.

Quote (savingedmund @ Sep. 25 2004,13:12)
I have deleted all events at the start of the track and delete all extraneous tracks. I have even tried copying the notes to a new track (clone) but not the mixer settings, etc.

Nothing on events list but notes. However, I did copy the notes to a new track, and it worked. This did *not* work when I cloned the notes only (deselecting the mixer settings check box), however. And I downloaded Minihost and it did it there too, so I know it isn't an N thing... I got it to work now, but I want to know what was causing it so it won't happen again..... Dang Cakewalk......

savingedmund, you should check with ‘Properties’ of the midi track. The setting for instrument should be ‘none’. Otherwise n-Track silently outputs a Program Change command via midi every time you press start or return to zero, even though the command is not in the events list anymore. I know - took me a while to figure that one out, too…

regards, Nils

:O !!!!!!!!!! I did not know that!!!!! I will check that out! Thanks!!!

Ok! I checked it out. That was it. I had a channel set and a program set (hammond organ). One of those (probobly the program setting) was screwing everythign up. I had that problem before, but I forgot about it. The only VSTi I used to use was SFZ, which has program and channel settings on it (as does some of my other VSTi's). What I did then was just make sure that my channel on my vsti and the setting in sfz were the same. I guess I forgot or something since I didn't have to really deal with it in a situation like this one.

fish

In addition, n-Track sends some Sysex commands whenever I hit “Save” (to disk). I’m not sure what these sysex commands are supposed to do, but they cause Native Instruments B4 to reset to its initial state. (ugh!)

Just an FYI, in case you find that there are still some things that change when you don’t expect it.

Oh – n-Track also sends MIDI Reverb and MIDI Chorus commands when you start from the beginning of the track (or something like that). This messes me up because some of the sounds I use on an external synth really depend on the global reverb setting, which gets killed. Yet another little thing to trip on.

Isn’t MIDI fun! :)

with the events list, it is often worth changing the settings so you can see all types of event, then remove those from the start which you don’t want (Reverb/ Chorus/ etc). I often have to do that from export/import of MIDI.

I’m often switching between the event types to focus in on what is going on, sometimes just the PitchWheel, sometimes just notes, or getting that CC change in the right place…

HTH
DSP

Good oint. However, I believe that the ones that N generates as a result of the settings in the Track Properties window don’t appear in the events list but do get sent. I guess what I’m trying to say is "Yes, check the events list, but don’t assume it includes everything."

The events list definitely doesn’t include the Sysex message N sends on “save”, and it also doesn’t include Channel Pressure events if you happen to record them. I filter them out so they don’t get recorded, because once recorded they’re hard to deal with – since they don’t appear visibly anywhere.

BTW, my experience is from V3.3. Things may be different in V4, but there’s no mention of any change in this respect.