Well, maybe it sucks, but I had fun

I’m not sure that this is ready to stand on its own two feet yet, so I’m seeking opinions. I recorded this with the intention of collaborating with other folks who would play riffs over it. Maybe its too busy for that. Also not sure who if anybody would find the song worth fiddling with. So, opinions please – on the instrumentation, recording technique, and any interest in collaboration. Click here
and then navigate to my music page and click on ‘What Duffy Felt’.

T

EDIT: For folks that don’t want to follow the whole thread to find out what happened. Hooked up with some amazing talent that I met in the forum (MFL), and this was the result of our collaboration. Our_Song
More refined version still to come.

Hey T - I like the tune. FWIW, in my opinion I’d like to hear the guitar thickened up just a smidge. I’m not sure what I mean by that. Maybe a little closer mic’ing or (I’m opening myself up for attack here I’m sure) a little EQ boost in the 1-2k range. How did you get that sound like a cymbal crash played in reverse? Pretty cool. Is it just that?

Hey HotDogWater - Thanks for the listen and comments. I’ve vacilated back and forth on how to EQ/record the guitar parts. On one hand, I agree with you that ‘thicker’ might be better. On the other hand, if somebody is going to riff on top of these tracks, maybe it is better to leave some space in the lower midrange for the new guitar part. Does that make sense?

Yeah, the reversed cymbal sound is exactly that. I just grabbed a ride cymbal hit off the net, flipped it around and put a rising volume envelope on it.

T

I liked it too. Playing it at work, so I had to listen to it at a whisper, but when I get home…up goes the V. From what I hear it does not sound too busy. I like the arrangement. I may already have some lyrics that’ll fit right in…

I’ve used that reverse cymbal; it’s actually a GM instrument. Great sound.

Hmf! That Soundclick thingie won’t do its’ stuff for me, the song just keeps loading forever :(
Will try again later.

No, no thicker, the space is important to something like this, IMHO. It’s the sort of thing that just cries out for a talent sort-of-loose sounding characterful vocal on top.

I think the guitars are fine, though a bit hot in the mix. The organ seems to be lost in the background. Sounds like Prince at the superbowl. :laugh:

I think you could definetely fill that space up with either some vocals or some lead guitar (or both). I don’t think you need any riffing instruments. You have plenty backing instrumentation (if you alter the volume balance a bit). all you need (IMO) is some melody.

-Fish

Hey MFL,

I’d love to hear what you could do with a vocal/lyrics if anything comes to mind. You would be the one who could pull off the kind of vocal that TomS mentioned. I think that he has a good idea with the ‘loose soundin’ vocal. Characterful would come naturally to you. Actually, I’m sure that you had to work hard to get your sound so I guess that it is only partly natural.

Teryeah,

I can’t listen to the streaming audio from Soundclick either when I am at work, as the firewall blocks it. The Soundclick player ust sits there waiting for download. You may have to download the MP3 to get it to work. Unfortunately, that means you got to fill in a form on Soundclick. PITA. I’ll try to post it somewhere else later this evening.

T

Nah, I think it’s just some minor hickup. I’ve been streaming TomS’ stuff with no trouble at all.

Quote (theinfamousfish @ Feb. 06 2007,16:54)
I think the guitars are fine, though a bit hot in the mix. The organ seems to be lost in the background. Sounds like Prince at the superbowl. :laugh:

I think you could definetely fill that space up with either some vocals or some lead guitar (or both). I don’t think you need any riffing instruments. You have plenty backing instrumentation (if you alter the volume balance a bit). all you need (IMO) is some melody.

-Fish

Fish, I think that you are right about the mix. This a case where the mastering monitor matters. On my monitors at home, the organ comes through a bit more strongly. Nearly disappears on the speakers in my car and at work. Also, I’m a bit shy about bringing the Hammond forward to much as I am a crappy keyboard player. Probably need to re-record that part to get rid of some minor glitches and then bring it forward a bit as you say.
Then pull the guitars back a little. I hope MFL will try to add a vocal. Have you listened to her voice on any of her music? Man, she is good. Anyway thanks for the comments.

T

EDIT: Prince in the superbowl?
Quote (tspringer @ Feb. 06 2007,17:03)
Hey MFL,

I'd love to hear what you could do with a vocal/lyrics if anything comes to mind. You would be the one who could pull off the kind of vocal that TomS mentioned. I think that he has a good idea with the 'loose soundin' vocal. Characterful would come naturally to you. Actually, I'm sure that you had to work hard to get your sound so I guess that it is only partly natural.

Teryeah,

I can't listen to the streaming audio from Soundclick either when I am at work, as the firewall blocks it. The Soundclick player ust sits there waiting for download. You may have to download the MP3 to get it to work. Unfortunately, that means you got to fill in a form on Soundclick. PITA. I'll try to post it somewhere else later this evening.

T

One gotta work hard to sound loose.

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 06 2007,17:22)
Quote (tspringer @ Feb. 06 2007,17:03)
Hey MFL,

I’d love to hear what you could do with a vocal/lyrics if anything comes to mind. You would be the one who could pull off the kind of vocal that TomS mentioned. I think that he has a good idea with the ‘loose soundin’ vocal. Characterful would come naturally to you. Actually, I’m sure that you had to work hard to get your sound so I guess that it is only partly natural.

Teryeah,

I can’t listen to the streaming audio from Soundclick either when I am at work, as the firewall blocks it. The Soundclick player ust sits there waiting for download. You may have to download the MP3 to get it to work. Unfortunately, that means you got to fill in a form on Soundclick. PITA. I’ll try to post it somewhere else later this evening.

T

TomS - yer right.

There is ‘crappy loose’. Which is what I unintentionally do because of my poor rhythm sense.

There is ‘good loose’. Which gives lots of music, especially blues, so much of its feel. Singer or guitarist knows how to lead or lag the beat to get the right groove. That kind of loose takes lots of work to learn to do.

‘Good loose’ is beyond me. Somebody else will have to add that.

T
Quote (tspringer @ Feb. 06 2007,17:37)
'Good loose' is beyond me. Somebody else will have to add that.

OK, but as long as you've discovered that much, I'd say you got a good ear :cool:

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 06 2007,17:22)
T[/quote]

a great lyric!

when I’m done blushing I’ll get on it! Oh man this is gonna be fun…

So, MFL, you definitely want to work together on this? If you are in, I’m in. It definitely will be fun. Can you work with the MP3 file, or do you need a wave file?

I’m going to tweak the levels and clean up my keyboard playing as I said above, but don’t plan to make any changes in timing or structure unless you suggest some, or somebody comes along with an idea that we can’t pass up.

T

Tspringer,

Yeah baby I’m in! And I’ll wait for you to make your adjustments and send me a wav file. I wouldn’t dream of changing the timing. I think someone already said it but I’d also love to hear that keyboard come forward a little more, even if it’s only here and there. Don’t worry about your playing; that just adds to the character! I was trying to come up with a verse last nite and I was having a bit of a time with the structure, but that might just be my thickness. :D

You know, a good piece of music has a way of “speaking” and those of us who are musically inclined can “hear” it. Out of curiosity, I’m wondering if anyone “hears” anything conceptually? I could use some ideas!

Melody

I can hear the coffee pot percolating, but I’m not sure that’s conceptual. :)

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 07 2007,13:31)
I can hear the coffee pot percolating, but I’m not sure that’s conceptual. :)

Ha!

Wait a minute… Coffee pot percolating? Lets see now. The song has kind of an upbeat feel. Could you have an upbeat existential theme? Is that possible? Coffee perkin. Cold outside, warm inside. All OK maybe no love but all OK anyhow?

Yeah Melody, the song is simple, but the structure is wierd. I thought that might be a bit awkward. It is probably going to be especially hard to deal with the repeated descending line at the turnaround without sounding trite. I got faith though. You’ll pull it off.

T :)

oh TomS, you’re so deep! :laugh: I agree with Tspringer; you just might be onto something there. I need a favor from you guys. Give me an artist sound alike so I can understand exactly what you mean by ‘loose sound’ and ‘characterful’. And T thanks for the vote of confidence! I’m too anxious to hear how this turns out. I’ve got to breathe :O