Well, they're not all good

:slight_smile:

I wrote and recorded this over a couple of daysā€¦canā€™t tell if it is pompous crap, or what. Coolest thing about it is I only used the EV 664 and an sm57 on it.

Anyway, here it is -a song yclept ā€œPrideā€:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=901783

Man that has a classic sound, I love the chorus, the middle part at 2:00 is great- nice bass part in that section, love the backup overlay vocals. The clarity on this one seems real good. Iā€™m also diggin your avatarsā€¦

I like it even better on the second listen, You know youā€™ve left it wide open for someone to just click a button and download itā€¦

Hey! Is that a reeeeeaaal harmonica???

Itā€™s a ā€œReelā€ harmonica! :laugh:

Iā€™m getting better at clarity. I did one thing here which I thought turned out OK. I put both a 57 and the EV 664 right on the center of the cone, and then panned them 100% left and right in the mix. Then did the 2nd guitar the same, except the mics are panned the opposite way - so the 57 for the first is left, and itā€™s right for the second, etc. Made for a biggish sound without much distortion.

Thanks for listening, Nix!

Classic Spademan! :agree:

Catchy tune, jangly guitars (Iā€™m buyinā€™ you a BOSS DS-1 with the gain knob glued down on 11.5) and a good mix. Great stuff Tom. :agree:

D

Tomā€¦thatā€™s a great song! Some very nice use of light and shade in it. The harmonica break is great and unexpected. One complaint, it ends much too soon. Please,pleaseā€¦raise the volume again at 3.30 and give us a Spademan guitar solo to fadeā€¦
Superb!

Way cool song - I just love your stuff Tom - so sweet to hear someone let a song catch itā€™s breath and take of in directions unknown. Youā€™re an awesome writer my friend! :agree:

Likewise with the others, great tune, nice harmonica.
And nice mix with the mics.
Like Bruffie said ā€œgive us a Spademan guitar solo to fadeā€ (I havenā€™t been on board ntrack long enough to know what a Spademan guitar solo is, but I trust Bruffie).
What kind of room did you record the guitars in?
And the vocals are nicely done (what mic/what kind of room)?

Nice tune again Tom. Youā€™re just too prolific.

Well recorded and I always like a good harmonica
:agree:

I make a habit of listening right to the endā€¦even the dead spaceā€¦and I was rewarded by that little closing of the high hat thereā€¦ :)

Seriously though, great work Tom.

Hey Ping - welcome to our little group of overly friendly, uncritical listeners! As you can see, they are all nuts. However, they are also kind b/c they have heard lots and lots of recordings over the last few years, and they know how badly done the earlier ones were, all of which were mysteriously deleted by soundclickā€¦ :laugh:

You asked about the room. Would you believe the rec room in the basement? Would you believe the mics were in the home-studio price range? I used an EV 664, about 60 years old, that I got for 25 bucks, which I absolutely love, and an sm57, which I generally despise, both right on the speaker. The vocal was also done with a 57. I have a Rode NTK that I usually use for all sorts of things, plus some other ā€œbetterā€ mics, but for the last few weeks I decided to do what I can with other mics, and see if I am wrong to despise the 57. I mean, everyone uses one for electic guitarā€¦anyway, it didnā€™t hurt that the mics were plugged into a UA LA 610 and a Presonus Eureka. That UA thing makes any mic sound good, practically.

A ā€œSpademanā€ guitar solo is usually out of tune somewhere, lacking in either speed or precision, and mixed way too loud in comparison with the drums, as far as I can tell.

Like I said, these guys are very supportive, even if not especially good liars. And in any case, only Craig noticed the one note hihat solo in the long dead space at the endā€¦

(Oops.)

Seriously, thanks for listening guys, and for the embarassing compliments. Summer vacation is just about here. Iā€™m going to get two or three whole days a week to skulk in the basement while the sun shines outside. Yay! :)

Quote:

Like Bruffie said "give us a Spademan guitar solo to fade" (I haven't been on board ntrack long enough to know what a Spademan guitar solo is, but I trust Bruffie).

Ping... Tom is just being modest... he's just a turd that way. :p

His solo's do something that I and a lot of other guitarists struggle with, they serve the song. I pick at him a bit about his preference for "jangly" guitar tones but again, they serve the song or he does something different.

You need to take compliments when they're given Tom. Next time, it might be THAT SUX!!! :laugh:

D
Quote: (TomS @ May 03 2009, 10:11 AM)

A "Spademan" guitar solo is usually out of tune somewhere, lacking in either speed or precision, and mixed way too loud in comparison with the drums, as far as I can tell.

With all due respect......Overly modest BS Mr.Spademan :) ??? :)

Your guitar work is great and innovative and you are a superb songwriter.

Still got your old stuff on CD in my car.
Quote:

Topic: Well, they're not all good, :)

Yeah, some of them are great! I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this doesn't chart extremely well on SoundClick. That harmonica is perfect, especially listening with headphones. :agree:

If you have a couple of spare weeks Tom, we can expect an album at least :laugh:

Aw shucks guysā€¦I sure donā€™t take compliments very wellā€¦thoā€™ the real test is the ā€œwyndorf pro ratingā€ scale.

???

Jangly guitarz - yep - still stuck in 1982 or soā€¦

Ping - you got some stuff posted for us?
I seem to remember a wah solo recentlyā€¦

Quote: (TomS @ May 03 2009, 12:32 PM)

Aw shucks guys...I sure don't take compliments very well...tho' the real test is the "wyndorf pro rating" scale.

???

Jangly guitarz - yep - still stuck in 1982 or so...

Ping - you got some stuff posted for us?
I seem to remember a wah solo recently...

Ping did a brilliant wah solo on the Taxmans Blues....I think Yaz is putting the finishing touches to the mix :agree:
Quote:

only Craig noticed the one note hihat solo in the long dead space at the end...

He's the only one who mentioned it. You Can't Believe has a very similar ending. Walking back to turn off the recording after doing drums I presume.
Oh I forgot to add. REAL DRUMS! Unlike Levi who uses midi samples!
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ May 03 2009, 12:45 PM)

Oh I forgot to add. REAL DRUMS! Unlike Levi who uses midi samples!

:laugh: PkW, go ahead!
I'll take all the attention that I can get!

Yep midi drum tracks on 'MY' songs but not on the "nTrackInternationalAll*Stars".
When we have so many players to choose from, to get more involved.
Oh TommyW, I noticed that you are at #4 in the nTrack Blues charts by using EFFECTS! :agree:
Effects = comp voice tricks from chips.
Good thinkin Thomas! Congrats on that big guy!

TomS Still diggin your drummin and the harp sound; folk music like, but cool as heck.
If you want to cet some blues chops for harp check any of Little Walters stuff.
He's very pronounced.
Wold be easy to hear and get.
Nice song Thomas!

PS, Bax could use that harp style!

now thatā€™s retro. got some tom petty jangle in there, some classic spademan, neil young harmonica, sounds like i wrote that bass line, and some other great influences as well. itā€™s a great listen, much like ā€˜club de washā€™. i think iā€™ll add it to my station.

on the same note, i was asked to sit in for the sunday church worship group today, a group iā€™ve never played with. so on figuring out what i was going to do, i decided to go jangly. plugged into the normal guyā€™s amp, no effects, turned up the jangle knob, and all six songs came out sounding just like this tune. weird coincidence.

God loves jangly guitars.
Whatā€™s weird about that?
???

Imagine heavenā€™s recording studioā€¦as many 1176 comps as you could possibly use, tape machines never need to be aligned, echo chambers like the basement at Captiol, as many tracks as you need, a zillion great musicians to collaborate withā€¦

Oh, wait, I have n-Trackā€¦