What'd'j'all work on this weekend?

?

My 7 year old son and I worked on his first complete song, I did the drums and guitars to his specifications, he sang and emoted, here are his lyrics:

“Race car, race car, rolling down the street,
the heat’s turning up and the engine’s getting beat
the wheels are turning round and round
race car race car rolling through the town”

(repeat 4 times) :D

It’s better than 99% of my stuff. Stick it up when you get the chance.

I started recording an old song (one of my first “good” originals). I was attempting to use 4.1 but I gave up & went back to 3.3. 4.1 was just too hard to use, and with 3.3, everything just worked.

3.3 still rocks!!!

If you want to do anything more complicated, use cubase or band-in-a-box or Ableton or anything except n-track 4!

:laugh:

I recorded my sons band. We setup in my Grandmothers old house which my cousin now owns. It’s currently empty. We threw down 6 “keepers”. Music only, no “vocals” yet. Notice the quotes? That’s because I don’t consider their oratory accompaniment to their music as “vocals”… more like screams, pig-squeals and grunting noises… oh well…

It was fun and my son and his friends think I’m the coolest old-fart in North Alabama. I’ll post some samples when we get “vocals” and I finish mixing.

TG

PS Grandma? I KNOW you were listening. That grandson of yours is turning into a heck of geetar player isn’t he? :) Grandma was always WAY ahead of her time… I MISS her lots. She bought me my first REAL guitar amp. A Carvin half-stack.

PPS I ended up recording them into Cubase LE. The latest n-Track build was acting weird. ???

<!–QuoteBegin>

If you want to do anything more complicated, use cubase or band-in-a-box or Ableton or anything except n-track 4

I don’t know these other packages, but I really thought the UI in n4.1 was confused, disorganized, complicated & generally poor.

3.3 is my app for now.

My Studio Projects C1 mic and VTB1 preamp came in…so far, it handles my own “screams, pig-squeals and grunting noises” (i.e., sincere singing effort) much better than the MXL 990 w/ the Berry mixer from last weekend. Darn it, I guess I really do sound that bad. :D

Tony

Quote (Mr Soul @ Sep. 26 2005,10:49)
If you want to do anything more complicated, use cubase or band-in-a-box or Ableton or anything except n-track 4

I don't know these other packages, but I really thought the UI in n4.1 was confused, disorganized, complicated & generally poor.

3.3 is my app for now.
I thought the same thing when I first checked it out. But you can configure it to match your workflow & expectations, and some of the new things turn out to be quite useful (duh!). I sort of got used to 3.3, but 4 is a champ for me now.

This is what I did this weekend (rough tracks) - Play Make It Last.

All things being equal, I’d bite the bullet & learn 4.1 but since it appears to be a CPU hog, then it’s not worth it for me, because I don’t need the functionality.

However, I’d like to hear your positive 4.x stories, i.e., how does it help your work flow?

Well, truth be told, I pretty much set it up like 3.3, although I have come to like the little buttons used to bring up various faders. :) Best thing, I had a few problems here and there with 3.3, very minor and rare, mostly having to do with plug in conflicts, but I haven’t had any at all with 4. Isn’t that nice? :)

Quote (Willy @ Sep. 25 2005,19:22)
It’s better than 99% of my stuff. Stick it up when you get the chance.

OK, Willy, here you go:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=411642

My son Graeme said to “make it sound like the Flying Saucer Rock and Roll record” - he sort of grooves on a collection I picked up at Sun a few years back. I did my best…which ain’t saying much, I guess…ah well, I don’t really know how to play anything other than bass…and even that is sort of problematic… :)

But he is very happy.

Haha, that cracks me up. Nice playing, and it’ll be interesting to hear his voice once it breaks!

Ya kid’s a rock star. Love it.

You should see him do an Irish Jig. 7 years old - yep, I live vicariously… :D

edit: oh, I didn’t mention, he insisted that the “Herbie” beep be in there…