What're'y'all working on this weekend?

hmm?

Me, I’m loving my new D-6. :)

Hmm, just got back from a black belt grading in Sydney, we put 8 up to shodan this time.

But, before I went up on friday, I picked up a new mic on thursday from the local Cash Converters. Had 18 dollars on it, so I asked if he’d do it for $15, done.

Can’t find it on the EV site, anyone know anything about the N/D 308A?

Willy.

A new fartones tune…it’s another old song I’ve always to play. That’s the point of that project. I put bass drums down last night and a couple of scratch guitars that aren’t keepers (NOBODY is going to hear those. but I will be redoing them).

Work was a pain this week. I was there until 3:30AM wed night and 12:30 AM fri night. I had worked the last three weekends (including labor day). This was my first weekend at home in a month.

TIME TO RELAX! Doing that song is a reward to myself.

EV 308, instrument mic, used to sell for - what - 150? 200 US? AM I misremembering? Sounds like a steal to me.

edit: I just searched ebay, I found a 308 B (guess A comes before B?) here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electro…iewItem

Yeah, I figured that even a budget EV would be a good mic, especially for 15 bux. That B model looks pretty much the same. No case though. I’m guessing it’s an instrument (tom, guitar, bass) mic…

As for me, just trying to see what this MXL 990 and 991 I’ve had lying around can do going through a Behringer UB1202 mixer to my Audiophile 2496. As usual, trying to push cheap to its limits :)

Tony

Not much musical activity this weekend. I finished the last chapters of my second sf novel, tentatively called Alshain. Now just a couple of rounds checking and editing, later this week I’ll give prints to the editor and a couple of friends to get their comments.

Trying to record 4 part harmony on a project I’m doing with a friend, while suffering with a cold. Not going well :(

Ian

Went to Varzo in Italy (just over the Simplon pass, 2 hours from my home in Switzerland) to stay with friends. We usually walk in the mountains but the weather on Saturday was bad so we visited Milan. Walked on the roof of the Duomo and toured the castle, where there is a pretty good museum of musical instruments. Lots of early guitars and mandolins, plus chitterns, lutes, violins and so on. Sunday we walked.

Musically, I am playing with a new ART Studio V3 valve pre-amp (that’s with a toob, for our transatlantic cousins), which is intended to give warmth and depth to vocals, bass and acoustic guitar. First impressions are favourable. BTW, I originally went to buy a Berry Tube Ultragain MIC200. The man in the shop said that this model was once very good but that recent batches had been unusable due to build quality problems. I checked out the ART and it certainly has better build quality, so I coughed up the extra dosh, CHF 175 instead of 100.

Cheers
TB

Tuster, I hate to ask, but have you compared the Art to something that runs higher plate voltages? ???

“trying to push cheap to its limits” – :D :D :D :D

We had a big to do at church this weekend. “Womens Retreat” they called it… Hmmph! They are the ones that always make US retreat! Wazzup with that? :D Anyway, I have been working on our MOTU recording rig at church for several weekends now and it’s getting better all the time. Friday night, 2 hours 55 minutes of 14 tracks @24/44.1. Not a glitch or pop. A little digital clipping here and there from FOH guy not minding his levels but the MOTU and n-Track performed GREAT! Saturday morning, 3 hours, 34 minutes 14 tracks @ 24/44.1. Same deal. n-Track and a MOTU 24I/O work well together.

I have to work on our FOH mixer to change the direct outs to PRE-FADER so FOH guy can’t FUBAR the recording levels. I’ll have to open it up and move about a gazillion little jumpers. I dread it like a case of the squirts after binging on jalapenos…

TG

<!–QuoteBegin>

I have to work on our FOH mixer to change the direct outs to PRE-FADER so FOH guy can’t FUBAR the recording levels. I’ll have to open it up and move about a gazillion little jumpers.

I know nothing of your particular FOH mixer or what you have hooked to it, but can you save yourself some work by using the “one click in” trick on the channel inserts (assuming there are channel inserts…)? Lotta mixers have the inserts prefader and preEq, and if you connect up to them by putting a 1/4" TRS in the jack socket just to the first click, they work just like direct outs. The small format Makcie units like the 1604 work this way, and I’ve used it with success many a time. Obviously, if you’re using the inserts for other duties this idea won’t work.

This was the first weekend in about 5 that I didn’t have to go to the studio to help a freelancer or work with my clients. I spent it mowing and raking my 1 1/2 acres of yard. A non-functioning tractor, and months of drought followed by rain and cool temps makes for a hayfield of a yard and mountains of grass clippings to deal with…

TomS - no, I took no account of plate voltage. I simply decided I needed a bit of real valve warmth, more than the RubyTube plug in does. I saw the Berry MIC200 doohicky in a local shop, checked out some reviews and it seemed good value. I’ve tried the ART Studio V3 with my AKG C1000S mic on vocal and on acoustic guitar, with my Epiphone EBM1 active fretless bass and Peavey electric guitar and it does add a pleasant “something”, and I like the switchable settings. So far so good.
Cheers
TB

<!–QuoteBegin>

I know nothing of your particular FOH mixer or what you have hooked to it, but can you save yourself some work by using the “one click in” trick on the channel inserts (assuming there are channel inserts…)? Lotta mixers have the inserts prefader and preEq, and if you connect up to them by putting a 1/4" TRS in the jack socket just to the first click, they work just like direct outs.

Yeah, I may give that a shot. I had thought of that but the connections on the back of the mixer (A&H GL3200) are pretty crowded and I worry about some bonehead knocking the TRS cable in or out and ruining the signal. I was torn between moving the jumpers or just making some insert “cheater” cables. I may give this a try just for grins and see what happens.

Thanks!

TG

EDIT** Hmm… I suppose some plastic tubing of the correct diameter and cut to length, slipped over the TRS plug would prevent someone pushing it all the way in…

Quote (TusterBuster @ Sep. 19 2005,11:02)
TomS - no, I took no account of plate voltage. I simply decided I needed a bit of real valve warmth, more than the RubyTube plug in does. I saw the Berry MIC200 doohicky in a local shop, checked out some reviews and it seemed good value. I’ve tried the ART Studio V3 with my AKG C1000S mic on vocal and on acoustic guitar, with my Epiphone EBM1 active fretless bass and Peavey electric guitar and it does add a pleasant “something”, and I like the switchable settings. So far so good.
Cheers
TB

If you have a bit of spare money, get a belari mp 105 from Ebay (like 30 bucks US) replace the tube with something a bit better, and A/B is with the ART. The bellari runs at high plate voltage, not “starved” like the ART and Berry. :)

The harmonic content of a tube at high voltages generally is preferrable to that at low. In any case, a lot of the nice sound from older tube preamps turns out to be from the rest of the electronics, esp. transformers, so much so that the warmth we want is found more in neve-type designs than in older tube preamps.

That’s what I’ve discovered, for me, at any rate. The art and berry and whatnot things that advertise “tube warmth” seem to me mostly to produce flubbyness, not warmth, and sometimes I wonder about the ethics of the advertising. :)

My 2 cents worth. :)

Excuse my ignorance, but doesn’t the one click method interrupt the signal? ie, it doesn’t end up going out to the main mix?

I use insert cables with the tip and ring at one end soldered together, going to a mono at the other. The only problem you’ll have then is some bonehead playing with the mic trim.

Quote (Willy @ Sep. 19 2005,13:10)
Excuse my ignorance, but doesn't the one click method interrupt the signal? ie, it doesn't end up going out to the main mix?

Right Willy. That's what I thought would happen and that kept me from already trying the "one-click" deal. I don't know for sure if it will interupt the signal completely or not. It depends I guess, on the type/style of jack inside the mixer. If connector breaks the path on the first "click"... no signal through to the mains.

I use insert cables with the tip and ring at one end soldered together, going to a mono at the other. The only problem you'll have then is some bonehead playing with the mic trim.

Yeah. This would not be a problem at all if I could run the FOH AND be onstage at the same time. The dude that runs FOH for is just experienced enough to be dangerous. He has no clue about proper gain staging. I tried to get things setup right ONE time. It lasted until I walked from the sound booth to the stage and he set things back to what he thought was "right". Ugh.

TG

<!–QuoteBegin>

Excuse my ignorance, but doesn’t the one click method interrupt the signal? ie, it doesn’t end up going out to the main mix?

Again, my experience is with the Mackie products, but using the “one click trick” on them does not affect the signal going to the main mix. In the past (for field recording gigs), I’ve used my 1604 with the “one click trick” to get signal to two linked ADATS. The 1604 only has 8 direct outs, but I had 16 tape channels, so needed to use the sends. I wanted to make sure I was adjusting each individual channel’s mic trim to get a good strong signal to each channel of the tape machines; I planned on later dumping the tape track to computer for editing/mixing. At the same time, I was able to set up a good stereo mix of the performance by riding the faders, and monitoring the main outs which went to DAT for safety (since the transports on ADAT’s can be notorious for failing at the wrong time…). Worked great. I got individual tracks for later work, and the band got to hear a ruff mix of the show right after it happened.

For a more permanent installation (like a worship system), I think Willy’s got the best idea for cabling. I needed portability and a flexible cable arrangement that could go from gig back to studio easily, and I was the operator so “one click” it was…

Well, my guess is that you need some sort of DI/splitter rack before the desk to some cheapass mic pre that he doesn’t have access to, that goes to the motu. I know my berry patchbay can split signals, but it’s passive so you’d no doubt loose signal strength with that method.

IIRC, the berry desks are differently set up at the insert too, the send is on the socket tip, not the ring, opposite to the mackie stuff. Not sure what that means.