What's going on?

this weekend?

Well, here we’re all wired up again, and recording can begin again any time now, in the new basement studio. :)

I was at Guitar Satan yesterday playing an active Jazz bass. What a great instrument. I want one.

That was fast. Guess I better get a move on with those Ampex’s. Finishing the metal work this weekend, and got some of the new filter caps installed already. Got some good news about the mic input traffos, and some not so good news (right now anyway) about that mic/DI switch we talked about. The rest of the parts come in Monday…maybe have 'em done for the weekend. Just in time to shake 'em out during a session we have before shipping them back, Tom. We’ll see…

Finishing my Leslie cab this weekend too. Got my 16 track working right Thursday and Monday me and #1 engineer do some work on the Hammonds. That leaves me with a Wurlie 200 to fix, some buss amp driver chips to replace in the console, one of the EMT’s to tune up (got a different amp on the way for it…), and then maybe I can figure out why that other 1176 clone I built overloads on input.

Be careful kids…too much gear means lotsa stuff to repair…

Eyup!

Wifey has tasks for me this weekend.
It is something called “shelving” and involves power tools and a diy (whatever that is)

I think I will have to consult Google.

Steve

I’m recording a interfaith gospel choir concert this evening. Not as much fun as it sounds; more women than men and everyone over the age of 70. Still, there is a good spirit that comes from this and I record this concert for all the participants probono.

One of the upsides is that I get to try out my Zoom H4 this evening on a full length concert.

Mike

Went to see TSO last night in Nashville. I’m still in awe… what a great show.

D

PS TSO == Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Played a gig last night, trained this morning, GFs daughter has a dance recital later, and possibly a gig after that.

Quote (Diogenes @ Nov. 12 2006,02:28)
Went to see TSO last night in Nashville. I’m still in awe… what a great show.

Deeply envious!

Got all thier stuff including the Christmas dvd pack. What an amazing outfit. I’m sure you enjoyed!!

:)

P.S. Spent half the weekend in hospital after a bad asthma attack on friday night :( Still alive and kicking though!
Quote (clavastudio @ Nov. 11 2006,13:13)
That was fast. Guess I better get a move on with those Ampex's. Finishing the metal work this weekend, and got some of the new filter caps installed already. Got some good news about the mic input traffos, and some not so good news (right now anyway) about that mic/DI switch we talked about. The rest of the parts come in Monday...maybe have 'em done for the weekend. Just in time to shake 'em out during a session we have before shipping them back, Tom. We'll see...

Finishing my Leslie cab this weekend too. Got my 16 track working right Thursday and Monday me and #1 engineer do some work on the Hammonds. That leaves me with a Wurlie 200 to fix, some buss amp driver chips to replace in the console, one of the EMT's to tune up (got a different amp on the way for it...), and then maybe I can figure out why that other 1176 clone I built overloads on input.

Be careful kids...too much gear means lotsa stuff to repair...

Sound great clava. Even if the DI doesn't pan out, I can always just use a DI box. Definitely shake them out as long and as much as you want to. But there is a nice warm rack space waiting for them when you are all done with them. :)

It was fast because (1) I got the rack and an inexpensive berry patchbay, and (2) nothing else is unpacked. Well, that's not true - wife's harp and many flutes and the stereo and CDs are all unpacked. Nothing like a bog old house with wooden floors in a very large living room for baroque flute. MM...mmm..mmmm....

Sounds like you have a great few days ahead of you, Clava!

Bruffie, sorry to hear about the hospital visit. :(
Quote (TomS @ Nov. 12 2006,11:29)

Likewise,

I will be praying for you to be healed.

keep shinin'

jerm :cool:
Quote (Bruffie @ Nov. 12 2006,08:12)
Quote (Diogenes @ Nov. 12 2006,02:28)
Went to see TSO last night in Nashville. I'm still in awe... what a great show.

Deeply envious!

Got all thier stuff including the Christmas dvd pack. What an amazing outfit. I'm sure you enjoyed!!

P.S. Spent half the weekend in hospital after a bad asthma attack on friday night :( Still alive and kicking though!

Well, after the finale... me and my buddy were just looking at each other. I said "Uh... Man I don't know what to say?!?!" My bud says, "THAT is the most awesome thing I have EVER seen!" "Next year? We are bringing the wives and kids. EVERYBODY needs to SEE this!" Keep in mind now... he and I are in our mid 40's. We have seen our fair share of concerts so we know a little bit about these things...

Fantastic musicianship, unbelieveable lighting and effects, great production and sound... not to mention the awesome material being performed... Yeah, I HIGHLY recommend the show. If you get the chance, check it out. It was SOOO worth it to me.

Another cool thing... they had a local string section sit in and perform led by Ms. Anna Phoebe. They were great and Anna was just un-freakin' believeable. She is a TSO regular and just awesome in her own right. Jeez... ALL these cats are virtuoso's!

D -- I'll shut up now...

PS OK, one more thing... get well quick Bruffie. Prayers going up for you bud!

Spent all day working on mixing a tune. I got all the comp tracks finished except for the bass (I might drag the bass player in to retrack as he gets a little busy here and there.) and 80% of the actual mix done. Sigh, pop music.

TG, you rant and rave on TSO so much, I might break down and see them some day. They have always appeared to be Christmas guitar wanker cruise ship cheese (like if Satriani and Santa had a kid and Liza Manelli was the producer) that I have always avoided it. But every year you and my cousin come back from the TSO show doing back flips. I suppose I had better put my money where my mouth is and see what all the hooplah is about…

Quote (Guest @ Nov. 13 2006,01:03)
Quote (TomS @ Nov. 12 2006,11:29)

Likewise,

I will be praying for you to be healed.

keep shinin'

jerm :cool:

Sincere Thanks Jerm!
Quote (Diogenes @ Nov. 13 2006,07:20)
PS OK, one more thing... get well quick Bruffie. Prayers going up for you bud!

Cheers TG!

I put TSO Christmas dvd on in front of a house full of Filipinos last December. None of them were Heavy Metal fans and certainly wouldn't have known that TSO was born out of the band Savatage. They went crazy for them..... Of course it could have been the San Miguel beers :)

Bubba... Give them a try. there's something special about them!

<!–QuoteBegin>

They have always appeared to be Christmas guitar wanker cruise ship cheese

No not at all. They do have some awesome guitar stuff but meld that with excellent strings, two fabulous keyboardists and an excellent drummer performing everything from TSO original Christmas music to Beethoven and other classical composers. They did a few tunes from “Beethovens Last Night” that friggin’ slayed! I don’t have that CD yet but I am looking for it.

I think you would really enjoy it Bubba. You seem pretty open minided about musical genres. I’ll listen to almost anything and enjoy it if it is performed well. (Except Rap/Hip-Hop… I don’t care for that stuff.)

D

We played a benefit gig for a venue I don’t particularly care for, outside in a “Marquee”.

Long story short, it rained, water more or less poured straight off the roof and onto/into the powered desk while we were playing and the whole thing went dead. Knowing what would happen next after the stuff got shifted inside, I left.

Sure enough, the guitarist dropped by shortly after and told me that the venue were trying to get the PA running again without even drying it out…

Willy.

Bummer Willy… tell your “friends” at the venue that it has been proven time and again that water and electricity DO NOT MIX! :D Specially sensitive electronic gear…

D