What's wrong with fretless bass?

Hello fellow n-trackers. Here’s my first post as a fully signed-up member.

I enjoyed the drummer and other jokes on a recent thread. Drummer jokes are a tradition and drummers must live with this. But one joke was about range of/throwing a fretless bass. Ha ha, but why The fretless bass is a soulful, expressive instrument, able to add great support and subtle texture in appropriate songs. Not for most rock (though remember Peter Gabriels’s “Sledgehammer”? Tony Levin on fretless!!) but for the more jazzy and arty stuff fretless rules. So please don’t “dump” on the fretless bass, it’s a great instrument. Mine is an Epiphone EBM-5F. Love it. End of rant. :cool:

Hi !

(and welcome)

I think it’s just that the sentence ‘what’s the range of a fretless bass’ have an easier rythm to it than 'What’s the range of a bass’

Ok.
To even the scale a little I’ll take a little out of myself as well…

How do you make a lead guitarist keep quiet ?
Put sheet music in front of him.

How do you know there’s a lead guitarist at your from door ?
The knocking keeps getting louder and louder and louder …

Cheers !
W

More of what I’m talking about from www.talkbass.com

Upon returning from a break, the keyboard player notices the bass player frantically chasing a child around the
room. As the bass player stops to catch his breath, the keyboard players asks what’s going on.

“That kid was on the bandstand messing with my bass and turned one of the tuners”.

“Yeah, that would bother me, too, but why are you still chasing him?”

“He won’t tell me which one”. :D

Speaking of kids and tuning…why are they too freakin lazy to tune their instruments?? This happened to me:

Son: "Dad, can I play your Strat at church tonight?"
Me: “Well I guess so. You tired of your guitar?” (Epi Les Paul)
Son: "Naw. It’s just terrible outta tune."
Me: (After my blood pressure came back down out of the imminent stroke region) "BLAST IT ALL BOY! IF YOU’RE GONNA PLAY IT, YOU HAVE TO TUNE IT!!!"

Lazy little 14 year-old brat…

TG

It’s just a phase TG,

I remember the days when id play a song that was almost unrecognisable because i was too lazy to tune my guitar.
i think i was about 15 then…by the time i was 16 i was tuning my guitar every time i picked it up.

:)

Only master bass players can play fretless basses!

There’s an easy explanation why there are so many drummer jokes around.

We don’t get 'em.

Quote (phoo @ Sep. 23 2004,10:11)
There's an easy explanation why there are so many drummer jokes around.

We don't get 'em.

Heh. I have my own theory Phoo. GOOD drummers are sooo busy keeping their internal metronome wound up, they don't notice (or care) about silly drummer jokes. We got that kid at church who is completely anal about his kit setup, the sticks he uses, etc.... kid ain't got no internal metronome to keep wound-up. Every song is a roller-coaster ride with this dude. Whhheeeee!!! :D :D

TG

EDIT: Fretless basses are way cool in the hands of a good player.

Fretless = beauty. :)

Fretless bass(ist) and a roller coaster drummer are a PERFECT match. They can perfectly simulate an old warped record.

Quote (phoo @ Sep. 23 2004,11:52)
Fretless bass(ist) and a roller coaster drummer are a PERFECT match. They can perfectly simulate an old warped record.

:D :D :D :D
Quote (TomS @ Sep. 23 2004,12:24)
Quote (phoo @ Sep. 23 2004,11:52)

:D :D :D :D

Yep. What Tom said!! :D :D :D

TG

Fretless Bass…one word…
Jaco

Yes, the fretless bass is difficult to play well. I am first and foremost a normal 6 string guitarist (Peavey electric, Daion acoustic, Yamaha APX nylon electro-acoustic) but I really enjoy the extra dimension of expression that “no frets” provides. I am an “old fart” of 52 years who messes around with recording for personal enjoyment with no ambition at all (except to learn and get better). Maybe one day I’ll understand how to post some of my recordings on this forum. Meanwhile, thanks for the responses. :)

I just noticed - this thread has no posting from MidnightToker. Am I doing something wrong? :laugh:

See CosmicCharlie’s post on page 1…

TusterBuster,

You have to phrase it right or Mike will not answer. You might try…

1.Why is the Democrat fretless bass held in lower regard than the Republican fretted bass.

2. I think the fretted bass is a creation of man rather than a natural evolution of functionality from the fretless double bass.

3. Michael Moore is wrong when he says the fretless bass is a tool of the radical right to make the left play out of tune.

4. Fretless basses render the player ineffective due to their support of the right hand always trying to demean, discredit, oppress and suppress the left hand.

dave