What a mistake...

Ya’ll told me so, but I’m dence.

I dunno if any of you remember this from a few years back…
But I posted a track I had done souly at home on the putter here, and released to Ghost Records out of Atlanta.
The problem was I had mailed a burned copy of the track, before I posted it here, and much to my dismay, the track was not up to par, from what many said here.

Anyway… I had contacted the label and told them not to distibute it until I could finish a studio quality version. But at that point it was too late… :(
I never did get a copy of the compulation CD (they promised my 12 copies for local distibution) And none of my local radio Dj’s got their copies either (thank God for that!)

But, as I was surfin the web today, under my name (I do this from time to time to clean up the many sites I started dating back since 1998.) And low and behold, this review…
On Indie-Music.com a Indie Bible affiliate.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Reviews: Various Artists ~ What Are You Listening To Punk?
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 @ 07:45:22 EST
Topic: Reviews

Artist: Various Artists

CD: What Are You Listening To - Punk?

Home: Atlanta, Georgia

Style: Various

Quote: "It spans many sub-genres of punk rock and has a little bit of something for everyone."

By Benjamin Daniels

The What Are You Listening To – Punk? compilation is nineteen tracks of independent music sponsored by Ghost Records. It spans many sub-genres of punk rock and has a little bit of something for everyone. Ghost Records has an eclectic roster of artists from many genres and sub-genres spanning punk, metal, and hip hop. This comp is the newest release that mostly emphasizes the punk rock side of their bullpen.

Stand out tracks include “8 Heads” by And Faster We Fall, which is a radio-ready post punk hit in the vein of such bands as Green Day and Sum 41. “Nuthin” by Steadfast is another gem from the post punk genre, combining fast guitar riffing, heavy drums, and raucous bass work with more melodic pop sensibility.

“Taken” by the band Bully brings a change to the CD, with a band showcasing a more alternative rock feel with female vocals. “Argentina, A New” by And Faster We Fall is an excellent track that re-visits the sound of one of the best bands on this CD.

The two oddball tracks that seem to stick out strongly on the comp were “Without Me” by Jeremy Prophet, combining lo-fi punk with a more hip hop style vocal delivery, and “Aurora” by Lapush, an unexpected but interesting break from the group with their calm, indie rock tune.

Overall, this is a good showing from Ghost Records. The effort put forward from each band is solid, and almost all the songs are catchy. The problem I found with it is that there doesn’t seem to be enough diversity between tracks, and that maybe the label should focus on cultivating the sound of a few of their best bands, rather than signing many bands that don’t have an extremely individual sound. I think this would lead them to great success, as they have some very talented artists in their ranks.

http://www.ghostrecords.net

My track was called oddball, and my vocal deliver was hip-hop of all things! I don’t mind the lo-fi punk thing that’s actual a compliment to me…but the hip-hop thing is killing me softly!

Let this be a lesson to future Ntrackers, post your song HERE first, then under good counsel you will not have the same calamaty befall you.

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

I dunno, it’s always hard to read about one’s own stuff, but I would say that being singled out says your stuff sounded original and worthwhile to the reviewer. I’d say: kudos to you, jeremy. :)

Ya I agree. You didn’t get prosecuted but aparently you have “Odd Balls” but I here once the word spreads in the female music community they will all want to have a look. Not such a bad thing.

Yeah the reveiw doesn’t quiet say elephantitous there Stuh! but I get your gist. :p

And Tom;

I didn’t think of that. There were 18 tracks on that disk. And only six made the review.

So odd balls or not, at least my balls were worth metioning among the other 34. (2 balls per track). Yeah and all of those other tracks were bands (some may have been women) but the ball ratio was stacked against me being a solo artist. :;):

Still, I do regret not getting a copy of the disk from the label which did promise me several. They would have been nice momentoes… My one and only label debute!

Keep shinin’

jerm

:cool:

Get copies, you will really want them in about 20 years. :)

Quote (TomS @ May 28 2006,09:54)
Get copies, you will really want them in about 20 years. :)

Eyup!

Yeah, try and do that if you can Jerm, I wish I had recordings of my old band.
I do have some old BC (before cassette :laugh: ) recordings made by bouncing from one open reel deck to another. The quality is as horrendous as the songs, but I'm glad I have them.

Nostalgia aint what it used to be!

Steve

What can I say Jerm, bad review is better than silence!

Keep on playin bro! :D

Quote (Beefy Steve @ May 28 2006,19:22)
Yeah, try and do that if you can Jerm, I wish I had recordings of my old band.

Ah! That would be the infamous " Pigs Eat Nettles" :)

Ha! Pigs Eat Nettles! Got to be the best band name I ever heard. My opinion of both BeefySteve and Bruffie has gone up greatly for just being associated with it. It’s not often that you can gain pleasure from just hearing the bands name. Just imagine what that means for the music… Wait… that was supposed to be a compliment. Why didn’t it sound like one? No really. It IS a compliment. I mean, the name is really clever… Err… Really…

T

Quote (tspringer @ May 29 2006,17:40)
Ha! Pigs Eat Nettles! Got to be the best band name I ever heard. My opinion of both BeefySteve and Bruffie has gone up greatly for just being associated with it. It’s not often that you can gain pleasure from just hearing the bands name. Just imagine what that means for the music… Wait… that was supposed to be a compliment. Why didn’t it sound like one? No really. It IS a compliment. I mean, the name is really clever… Err… Really…

T

:) " Pigs" was purely down to Beefy.
But Beefy and me did record a couple of things together in n-Track. You can found “Out of Reach”(Lead vox Beefy, backing Bruffie)) on the Music page of my Website, and “Hymn” ( all vox Bruffie, all instruments Beefy)on the n-Track page. Both songs a bit soft for ageing rockers but nice to do.
Cheers,
Ian

Bruffie’s page

Hi Bruffie

I had already checked outh both your homepage and BeefySteve’s. Thats a really nice song you wrote, and BeefySteve did a great job singing it. I really like his singing - its almost as if he has two vocal personalities that he uses. Anyway, great song. But one thing, in the thumbnail on your website BeefySteve doesn’t look very beefy…

T

Eyup!

<!–QuoteBegin>

BeefySteve doesn’t look very beefy…

Dash it all chaps, I’ve been rumbled :D

I could have called myself “Wizened Prune”, but I thought BeefySteve had more Kudos :cool:

Anyway, that photo didn’t catch my best side ???

Steve