What did ya all work on this weekend?

:slight_smile:

Once again, on my end NADA, although the 10 day visit from the in-laws came to an end.

whew

And I get off work early tomorrow, and my wife ordered me into the basement! She understands…
:D

Fartones stuff, backing vocals. Or shouting, more precisely, going full tilt into SM58 into starved plate tube pre with lots of drive dialed in, into my Mackie mixer with the low EQ compeltely rolled off. I had fun :)

Put together a PC for the GF, won’t finish installing, keeps bluescreening at various times…

Gigabyte k8vm800m…

Drums, vocals, bass, all sorts of stuff.

Yeah, forgot. Before my disasterous day with the puter I checked out the local recording studio and watched a friend record cello and bass recorder.

I learned to Save every two minutes. I also learned I need a MIDI keyboard, because I learned that plotting note values in Piano Roll with your mouse is as musical an endeavor as staring at un-started algebra homework. :p If I’d used a keyboard to play the horn parts I’d written, I’d have remembered them, and losing 'em wouldn’t have been so bad!

But I learned how to use VSTi’s! :)

Quote (Sloom @ April 09 2006,23:00)
I also learned I need a MIDI keyboard, because I learned that plotting note values in Piano Roll with your mouse is as musical an endeavor as staring at un-started algebra homework. :p

Have you tried that plugin that lets you use your comp keys as a midi keypad? Think there's a link to it in nTrack FAQ.

I mixed a couple songs of a doom metal project. 4 to 6 layered guitar parts plus drums and percussion, so far. Now we need to lay down bass and vocals.

On two of the songs we recorded Taiko drums. In case you’re not familiar with them, they are the big Japanese drums with stretched hyde over both ends. Cool sound. I’ve been experimenting with eq, compression, and reverb to get a big sound out of these tracks.

<!–QuoteBegin>

If I’d used a keyboard to play the horn parts I’d written, I’d have remembered them, and losing 'em wouldn’t have been so bad!

Yep, I use a MIDI keyboard - much easier and if I make a mistake I keep going 'cos the MIDI can be tidied up later. I do find that I have to monitor using my keyboard’s internal sounds or I get too much latency but that’s no real big deal.

I learned something this weekend while trying to record some acoustic guitars of a song.

It worked out, but I can’t think of anything more annoying than using several hours to recovering stuff

I learnt something really fundamental! I was reading the manual of the Emu 1616m as a possible replacement for my Behringer BCA2000 and came across the following statement:

Removing the CardBus Card
Before removing the CardBus card, you need to
select “Safely Remove Hardware” from the
Taskbar. Otherwise ASIO channels will remain
allocated to the Digital Audio System and your
other audio applications may develop problems
or hang.

A light went on in my brain :p . I haven’t bothered too much about that sort of thing in the past because I haven’t had any problems with anything…except my usb BCA2000 and n-track. So I fired up my usb card and went through the correct procedure, and Bingo n-track didn’t crash. I even started playback without problems. That was yesteday, so the first thing I did this morning was try it again. It still worked. Maybe I’m being a little premature but it would at least seem that my bca2000 and n-track have one huge problem less. This procedure may be worth a mention in the wiki if someone knows how to do it.
Now if only I could get rid of that goofy shadow effect on the wave when I start n-track I’d be estatic. :laugh:

Baking a cake… (turned out good - yum!)

Changing strings on my Alhambra 4C classical guitar (loong overdue)

Installing n-track 4.2 and playing a bit with the drum machine plug-in (Great toy, BTW!)

Taking my girlfriend for a long walk through the vet school gardens of Copenhagen - lovely place… - Never really bothered to go there before.

Playing my Alhambra 4C classical guitar with my girlfriend singing… - This is something we ought to give ourselves time to do more often.

regards, Nils

EDIT
<!–QuoteBegin>

Now if only I could get rid of that goofy shadow effect on the wave when I start n-track I’d be estatic.

If I remember correctly, there’s an option to turn the graphical effects on the wave files in n-Track off in the menu - View - Wave - turn off the ones you don’t like. I prefer to have the anti-aliasing waveforms turned off, too…
Quote (Sloom @ April 09 2006,23:00)
I learned to Save every two minutes. I also learned I need a MIDI keyboard, because I learned that plotting note values in Piano Roll with your mouse is as musical an endeavor as staring at un-started algebra homework. :p If I'd used a keyboard to play the horn parts I'd written, I'd have remembered them, and losing 'em wouldn't have been so bad!

But I learned how to use VSTi's! :)

one gets better at it over time; after a while, you can enter the notes pretty quickly. IMagine having to enter actual midi data... :)
Quote (StuH @ April 10 2006,00:05)
Have you tried that plugin that lets you use your comp keys as a midi keypad? Think there's a link to it in nTrack FAQ.

I'll go see- thanks, Stu. Something...

Quote (Nils K @ April 10 2006,05:01)
Baking a cake… (turned out good - yum!)

An exellent idea!

(A late rock magazine editor-in-chief I used to work for usually ended his columns with “bake a cake and invite your friends in”.)

For the last weeks I’ve been working with a soundtrack album for my second sci-fi novel (both to be published next August). Most of the tracks are done (although not mixed yet), but I got the idea to add a song to the end of the album as a sort of bonus track (and probably getting some more airplay than the more abstract, minimalistic, slowly evolving instrumentals).

So, as my wife was away, I spent the Saturday with the lyrics (that need to touch some of the main ideas from the book without giving away the plot) - besides doing a lot of other non-musical things. Sunday, getting down the structure and chords for the song with a guitar and BIAB. Found a niche set of style changes for the song - sort of “triphop meets the Meters” vibe and exported a midi sequence, but found out it was over six minutes long, so I cut one chorus out and re-exported it. Yesterday, I edited the midi file with Sonar and recorded the individual tracks (“keyboards” and “drums” and “percussion”) to audio for the nTS. Sounded pretty nice after a bit of edit.

Next, it’s recording some guitar tracks (DI’d and with extra delay tracks, as I used the sound for the instrumentals, I sort of like it and it makes a sort of non-contemporary sound for the story set up in the future), some real bass, vocals and maybe some extra percussion. Then, if I truly like the song even while I’m listening my singing, then I might add it to the project… :p