What does 'freedom' mean?

I’ve noticed the word ‘freedom’ is used a lot when politicians and military spokesmen talk about the war on terror. They say things like ‘this is about freedom’, or ‘we are fighting for freedom’ etc.

But could someone tell me what they actually mean by that? - I’m being serious here. At the moment I just see it as a vague word they use to not mean anything really, but at the same time pretending to mean something a lot more powerful.

Are they talking about the freedom of the USA? - And if that’s the case, how is the freedom (as in the dictionary definition) of Americans being affected by the war on terror? - Will they be more free afterwards? Does ‘not free’ mean somehow being held captive, or not free to express yourself, or what?

Or are they talking about the freedom of people like the Iraqis, in which case, why are they so worried about freeing them, and what positive impact will ‘freeing’ (whatever that means) the Iraqis have on the average American?

If someone knows what they mean when they use that word, I’d love to hear an explanation! :)

I won’t try to tell you what they say or think about it but I’ll tell you what my perception is. I would rather live in the US becuase I understand it. Many people I’m sure in Europe, Australia, Canada or elsewhere feel the same about their countries. That being said, we each have our own perception of freedom and what it means. I believe what “they” are saying is that they are trying to make the middle east more like us (the free nations). By doing so, they will be less inclined to do the things that the radicals are currently doing such as terrorism or in the case where Saddam took over Kuwait. Now you could argue that what right do we have when we can’t even control our own backyard (Timothy McVay, Branch Davidians, white supremecists, etc…). That is certainly a valid point. It would seem the hope is that the attacks will stop if the people of these countries enjoy the same freedoms we have.

John, as I’m sure Tom could tell us; “Freedom” is one of those words that have high emotional value, but are semantically null.

It means whatever you want it to mean, or rather, what you want your listeners to think it means.

Words have power. Words are power, just look at the religious debates on here re the words in the bible.

So perhaps, if there is a meaning of “freedom”, it means independence from the words of others. (As a start anyway :)).

Ali.

Quote (Guest @ Nov. 15 2004,18:57)
I believe what "they" are saying is that they are trying to make the middle east more like us (the free nations). By doing so, they will be less inclined to do the things that the radicals are currently doing such as terrorism

I was kind of hoping that's what they didn't mean when they used the word, and there was perhaps some other deeper meaning I'm missing.

You see, my problem there is that it's just not a logical argument. To go to another country, which has a different culture, different religious beliefs, and different politics, and try to impose your own beliefs and politics on them would seem to me to actually encourage them to react aggressively. (They will then only be defending themselves, their country, and their beliefs from a foreign invader)

I find it hard to believe there are people walking around in these countries all miserable because they can't be like America, and are just waiting for the U.S. to come and 'free them' - Doesn't sound likely.

About as likely as someone walking along a street in America hoping that some muslims will overthrow the government as they think Sharia law will help with the crime problem.

I'm with Ali on this one....
Quote (Ali @ Nov. 15 2004,19:11)
John, as I'm sure Tom could tell us; "Freedom" is one of those words that have high emotional value, but are semantically null.

It means whatever you want it to mean, or rather, what you want your listeners to think it means.

Words have power. Words are power, just look at the religious debates on here re the words in the bible.

So perhaps, if there is a meaning of "freedom", it means independence from the words of others. (As a start anyway :)).

Ali.

Next you'll say that it has something to do with some Derridian "floating signifier" or something! :)

Part of the problem may be that you are asking about several words, not one, several concepts, not one. "Civil freedom" might be the appropriate one in this case - freedom under a rule of law based on individual rights, esp. the right to private property. Or, for the Marxists among us, the veritable garden of innate rights, property, and Bentham, if I remember the quote. Freedom for Haliburton or whoever has the cash to make use of those rights. :)
Quote (jhonan @ Nov. 15 2004,19:44)
About as likely as someone walking along a street in America hoping that some muslims will overthrow the government

I absolutely believe there are people in the US that have these thoughts exactly. There are Christians that think the country should be more christian. There are muslims that think it should be more muslim. In fact I'll bet it goes deeper than that. How many blacks or hispanics think the US would be better if they were in control? There are so many divides in this country it's almost pathetic. Thankfully, there aren't too many of them willing to use violence to get their way.