What gives?

320G drives are cheaper!

HEy guys,

I am looking for a hardrive to replace the slow one in my Sahara Slate PC i412T and am noticing the largest drive I can get is cheaper than the smaller one, all run at 7200rmp and have 16MG cache, that is why I ask, what gives?

320G drive

The 320G drive above is under $90 US, while a 80G, 100G or a 120G drive is around $120 with the same speeds and cache.

I am thinking there is some reason these larger drives are cheaper, perhaps they do not function as well or there are know issues with them…

Any Audiophiles here have any info on these, cannot find any reviews on the 320G since it appears to be fairly new on the scene…

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

What drives are you comparing to? At the sizes you mention (80GB etc)they are likely older PATA technology or server rated drives. Right now for a top of the line desktop drive, you’ll spend about $100 per TB.

About the fastest SATA drive on the market:

http://www.newegg.com/Product…Product

EDIT: Never mind, you are looking for a laptop drive. Whole other ball of wax price wise.

i wood believe it is going to be due to cause of supply and demands. nobody buy small drives so more overhead in lessor units mean higher price but everyone buying big fat drive so overheads it is going down and him sell more units to be spreading over the overhead.

Smaller drives of the same line you are looking at are cheaper than the 320g.

120g
$63

80g $49

Funny, I was going to offer Horace’s explanation. Econ 101 was actually helpful. :)

Quote: (phoo @ Jan. 05 2010, 7:20 PM)

Smaller drives of the same line you are looking at are cheaper than the 320g.

120g
$63

80g $49

thanx phoo!

I scoured that site and did not find them....the ones I did find were over $100.
I think 120G~160G is fine and affordable, everyone uses externals/portables for backups anyway.

keep shinin

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Jan. 05 2010, 2:16 PM)

What drives are you comparing to? At the sizes you mention (80GB etc)they are likely older PATA technology or server rated drives. Right now for a top of the line desktop drive, you'll spend about $100 per TB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product....Product

EDIT: Never mind, you are looking for a laptop drive. Whole other ball of wax price wise.

YEAH! those are fast drives, I have a few WD 7200rmp drives, but none with that large of a cache! SWEEEEET!

keep shinin

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Jan. 05 2010, 8:40 PM)

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Jan. 05 2010, 2:16 PM)

What drives are you comparing to? At the sizes you mention (80GB etc)they are likely older PATA technology or server rated drives. Right now for a top of the line desktop drive, you'll spend about $100 per TB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product....Product

YEAH! those are fast drives, I have a few WD 7200rmp drives, but none with that large of a cache! SWEEEEET!

keep shinin

So what is going to be faster Bubba?

A drive with 32mg cache running at 7200rpms?

OR one with 16Mg cache running at 10000rpms?

Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10000 RPM

PS what is the advantage to having a SATA drive? music related...

keep shinin