What I Must Do

(The Judas Song)

On October 15th 2006 Dr. William Klassen (a Ph.D. in Early Christian Literature) spoke at our church on the subject of Judas Iscariot (Betrayer or Friend). My wife, who is the Music Director at our church, asked me to find some “Judas Music” to be performed at the service.

Well, I looked - but you’d be surprised at the paucity of material available. So I quickly wrote a song for the occasion.

Dr. Klassen liked the song and asked me to prepare a recording of it that he could take with him on an upcoming book tour. I didn’t have time to do a proper job so I resorted to midi to produce this demo. I am well aware of its severe limitations but here it is anyway.

What I Must Do (The Judas Song)

clearing my throat…um…Church?

That fits in with the Campbell retoric how? :)

KF

Quote (KingFish @ Nov. 25 2006,15:19)
clearing my throat............um....Church?

That fits in with the Campbell retoric how? :)

KF

Sorry, it's no secret that I attend church regularly, is it?

Very active there, actually. My wife is the (paid) full-time office manager and (unpaid) part-time music director. I serve as Chairman of our IT Committee and am a regular soloist (though I don't think that is based on merit; it helps being married to the Music Director.)

We are a Christ-based, non-denominational, inclusive church. So far, the roof hasn't fallen in while I'm there so apparently God is forgiving.

I couldn’t get the link to work…

Shayne

Quote (shayneb @ Nov. 30 2006,16:31)
I couldn’t get the link to work…

Shayne

hmmm- you’re right. It worked before; I’ll have to look into this. Thanks.

Edit - Just tried it again and it worked the second time, I don’t know why. Please try again. Thanks. - Edit

FYI… a great Judas song… Bob Dylan’s "With God on our Side"

On the album "The Times they are a Changin."

Check it out.

umm, i seriously hope that this song isnt implying that Judas was forced to do what he did… in that case God is quite evil.

Quote (JasonBrianMerrill @ Dec. 04 2006,20:24)
umm, i seriously hope that this song isnt implying that Judas was forced to do what he did… in that case God is quite evil.

"The choice is mine to do this or leave…"

Judas chose his actions; the ‘must’ of ‘what I must do’ is a ‘must’ of conscience: to act as he believed to be true.

Of course, the action that he took was in accord with God’s will - if you believe the New Testament.
Quote (FNULNU @ Dec. 04 2006,19:57)
FYI... a great Judas song... Bob Dylan's "With God on our Side"

On the album "The Times they are a Changin."

Check it out.

As a long-standing Dylan fan I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know it - but I will correct that deficiency at once. Thanks.
Quote (BillClarke @ Dec. 04 2006,20:51)
umm, i seriously hope that this song isnt implying that Judas was forced to do what he did... in that case God is quite evil.

"The choice is mine to do this or leave..."

Judas chose his actions; the 'must' of 'what I must do' is a 'must' of conscience: to act as he believed to be true.

Of course, the action that he took was in accord with God's will - if you believe the New Testament.

I think you may need to read more of the New Testament or the Bible in particular before you make that statement.

no offense.

Quote (JasonBrianMerrill @ Dec. 04 2006,21:57)
I think you may need to read more of the New Testament or the Bible in particular before you make that statement.

no offense.

uhhh… here’s where I officially distance myself from this entire conversation…

not touching this one with a 10 foot pole
Quote (JasonBrianMerrill @ Dec. 05 2006,06:57)

no offense.

Nice song Bill. I hate midi, but appreciate the lyrics and melody.

Jason...As far as I know this is still the music review section. Why don't you go and do your stirring in the other forum? People who end messages with "No offense" rarely mean it!

im reviewing the content of the song.

and i really do mean no offense. ITs just my opinion.

i stopped stirring, why must you continue it? :p

Quote (JasonBrianMerrill @ Dec. 04 2006,22:57)

no offense.

No offense taken, but are you really suggesting that Jesus' death on the cross was not in accord with God's will?

Do you realize that such a point of view completely nullifies Jesus' sacrifice?

Quote (JasonBrianMerrill @ Dec. 04 2006,21:57)
Quote (BillClarke @ Dec. 04 2006,20:51)

"The choice is mine to do this or leave…"

Judas chose his actions; the ‘must’ of ‘what I must do’ is a ‘must’ of conscience: to act as he believed to be true.

Of course, the action that he took was in accord with God’s will - if you believe the New Testament.

no offense.

JBM, the way you responded and when you responded doesn’t read as you were critiquing the content of the song but as a direct response to Bill’s statement. That may not be what you meant, but that’s how it reads.

so the lyrics and the message arent part of the song?

lyrics about a God who forces people to do wrong and then condemns them for it?

Quote (BillClarke @ Dec. 05 2006,08:28)
Quote (JasonBrianMerrill @ Dec. 04 2006,22:57)

no offense.

No offense taken, but are you really suggesting that Jesus' death on the cross was not in accord with God's will?

Do you realize that such a point of view completely nullifies Jesus' sacrifice?

not really. I dont believe in predestination -- but God could clearly see what was going to happen in the future, just like prophecy -- it doesnt mean Judas was forced to do anything, as if he was going to be misunderstood. He betrayed Jesus, plain and simple, as the scriptures say, in prophecy. He didnt do it to help anyone. If he did, why did he feel so guilty so as to kill himself shortly thereafter? Would a God of love really prescribe this type of treatment on his subjects?

There are many other facets to this argument -- but i feel on the contrary, and really, no offense, but the stand your song takes does much more to invalidate his sacrifice than anything i could say. :D

Quote (JasonBrianMerrill @ Dec. 05 2006,13:18)
[quote=BillClarke,Dec. 05 2006,08:28][quote=JasonBrianMerrill,Dec. 04 2006,22:57]I think you may need to …

If we are to continue this perhaps we should shift it to the “Yikes” thread in the “Anything Else” forum. I’ll quote your post and respond there.
Quote (Bruffie @ Dec. 05 2006,03:56)
Nice song Bill. I hate midi, but appreciate the lyrics and melody.

Thanks. Yeah, MIDI is kind of a "necessary evil" in my view. Fine for putting together a sort of 'demo' of a song but I lack the skill/ability to raise it above the 'demo' level.