What is this chord?

Quote: (spreadercraig @ Mar. 07 2009, 7:57 AM)

DC, nice thought there on the Dsus2...and yes I had to look it up
:laugh:

After reading all this my head hurts...

Craig,

A chap like you, with songwriting skills and a great voice... you owe it to yourself to learn the language. Seriously. My son ignored me all through his guitar lessons when I was going on at him about reading skills and theory. Now he's eating crow...

D
Quote:

I used to place little value on theory and chord construction until that same scenario started happening to me. That's when I decided to learn about it. It's not as hard as it sounds really...

My limited experience playing with a "church band" would probably have gone better if I had been more knowledgeable. Running through songs I didn't know just a couple of times in the middle of the week, then not being able to remember how the melody went when I would try to practice on my own, did me in. It was not a worshipful experience for me.

You got it Kev. When I realized it was time to use my ‘gift’ for what it was mostly intended for, I really had to jump in with both feet. Theory, Nashville Numbers, etc… Just today we were rehearsing for this women’s conference thing… buncha guest singers and all… A lot of the songs they chose, we are familiar with and have number charts for. However, we are used to playing them in ‘our’ keys but these guest vocalist’s were going “Can you do this one in D or… or…?” I had to refer to the charts quite often to avoid the clams. One tune we do all the time in A, this gal wanted in D… I thought "Okay self… find the root and follow dem numbers man…"

It’s worth the effort. :agree:

D

PS It IS an effort. This stuff doesn’t come naturally to me. I have a bud, makes me sick… fabulous ear, knows a bit of theory, can play any doggone instrument he picks up or sits at… ugh.

I have a book on the Nashville Number System here somewhere. I understand the concept, but never really learned to put it to use.

Quote: (kevinmyers @ Mar. 07 2009, 10:11 PM)

I have a book on the Nashville Number System here somewhere. I understand the concept, but never really learned to put it to use.

I have a cheat sheet I made that's pretty handy until you get your ol' bean wrapped around it. Send me a PM with an email addy and I'll gladly forward it to you!

D

PS Actually, I think I have it in JPEG format at Photobucket. Hang on...

Here you go…

Look over that and think about the notes while playing. Remember, the scale just “wraps around” when you are looking for 9’s, 11’s, 13th’s…

If this is redundant, I apologize. Just trying to help out… :peace:

D

EDIT: Oh… Nashville uses Roman numerals! Majors are uppercase, minors lowercase. So in ‘C’ the ONE would be ‘I’ (‘C’) … the SIX would be vi (‘Am’) etc…

I see both Numeric and Roman pretty often. It’s all good. Numeric has stuff like 6m or 1M7 to note minors or Major 7ths etc… Pretty self explanatory really.

I looked this chart over and it’s all greek to me DC. Most confusing for my feeble brain.

Quote: (Yaz @ Mar. 07 2009, 10:23 PM)

I looked this chart over and it's all greek to me DC. Most confusing for my feeble brain.

Look at it again Yazzer...

Think of all the songs you ever played in the key of C that go 1, 6, 5, 4. OR C, Am, G, F. Probably dozens...

Now some guy/gal comes along and says "Yaz? Let's do that in E instead..." After a bit of practice you'll naturally jump to E (1), C#m (6), B (5), A (4)...

Look at the intervals...

D

Well, that’s the problem, see I didn’t have this tool to learn when I started. I would simply say key of E, ok, then barr the C chord on the 4th fret and go with it. Just the way I learned. Starting over gets confusing to me. Not knocking the system, I know it works for a lot of players, the other guitarist in my band uses it, when he says those numbers to me, I get the deer in the headlights look, then ask what key?

Blues makes it real easy to understand.
Key of A the pergression is: 1, 4,5.
Starts in A goes to D, turns around in E. \<br />
Or Key of G; intro 5, 4, 1…all verses 1,4,5.

intro= D,C,G verse=G,C,D. you just announce a maj or minor or what ever on any number.

Helpful stuff you guys are handing out. Thanks. Getting us old dogs to learn new tricks… well, we’ll see. :laugh:

The other reason it’s handy…

Chord construction. When somebody says “Hey? How do I make an Am6?” Well an Am contains A (root) E (five) and C (flatted third). Look at the A row on the chart. What is 6? F#. Add the F# on the high string. Bingo. Am6.

As Craig mentioned… Dsus2… What’s the 2 in D? E of course. Drop the F# on the high E string to E. Bang. Dsus2. What about Dsus4? The 4 in D is G. Drop yer pinky on the high E string third fret G. There you go… Dsus4.

Bear in mind all the inversions won’t sound great in every case but you can learn a lot about how chords are built by studying that simple little chart. Let the bass hold down the root while you pick up the other notes on the geetar…

I don’t listen to jazz as much as I’d like but those guys know all about chord construction, playing them triads and letting the other instruments have space.

D

:laugh: Ya that'll teach um!