What should I buy?

Okay, I’ve finally accepted the fact that my old Pentium I just ain’t gonna cut it w/ the new N-Track. I’m ready to go out and buy an upgrade. I’d like to get something off the shelf (BestBuy, OfficeMax, etc). If anybody has suggestions of what the best configuration (I’m gearing this specifically for N-Track compatibility) is I’d certainly appreciate the input.

tia,

Gunner

I think it depends on your intended use. If you want loads of tracks with loads of effects, plug-ins, etc. Then a pretty powerful PC would be an advantage. However, N Track works well on what is now considered quite a basic off-the-shelf XP Home PC.

Perhaps some attention to your soundcard, as the built-in cards tend to be geared for multiple purposes rather than specifically for music recording.

One of our forum-mates (MrSoul) custom builds and configures PC’s for DAW work. Here is his website:
http://www.pcDAW.net

I’ve never bought anything from him, but he’s probably a good one to talk to about new hardware.

-John
:cool:

The most of the following you can afford…

CPU speed (lots)

RAM (lots)

HD size (300g @ 7200 would be nice)

USB & Firewire ports

Special attention to your soundcard…there is a bunch on the various soundcards in other threads on this forum…

Dual monitor is a nice setup…

Have fun shopping …

cliff

John - thanks for the plug! Yes - I’d be happy to answer any questions that you might have. You can check out my web site to see what machines I offer.

I’m assuming that you want to buy off-the-shelf because of price - is that correct?

If you are going to buy a new computer, my recommendation is to get:

- get a dual-core CPU
- get SATA II drives (at least two)
- get 1 MB of DDR RAM
- get a DVD-writer

Otherwise, you’ll be buying old technology.

<!–QuoteBegin>

get 1 MB of DDR RAM

Yeah, my Vic 20 doesn’t even come close to that. Anything less than that is definately old technology. :)

For a low-budget Audio machine, it looks like that Cube DAW is hard to beat!

<!–QuoteBegin>

I would not recommend the Cube DAW unless you need to be portable or have a space issue. The lower-end AMD machines are competitive in price.

Well, thanks to everybody who replied. I’ve literally spent the night researching (I’ve got a song in my head and just can’t bring myself to use the ol’ tascam 788 anymore). So anyway, I took the plunge. My local Circuit had a sale on a HP Pavilion, Pentium 4 w/ht 3.0ghz, 1 gb ddram, dual dvd rw w/lightscribe, and a 250 gig hd. I’m going to pull the 160 gig hd out of my old machine, clean it, and use it exclusively for recording purposes.
Used a $100 CC gift card a got for christmas and walked out of the store only $600 poorer (actually more like $629 poorer, but don’t tell my wife).
Now I get to have loads of fun trying to find all my installation disks for programs I have on my old machine. I’ve heard of a prog that will transfer files from machine to machine. ANybody had any luck with this type of thing and do you have to have the original installation disks?
thanks for all the input.
gunner

Quote (Mr Soul @ Jan. 12 2006,19:22)

I would not recommend the Cube DAW unless you need to be portable or have a space issue. The lower-end AMD machines are competitive in price.
I actually just got my PC upgraded to an AMD with a newer VIA (KT600) chipset. The rest of it is still pretty pedestrian, but baby steps to the Univac.
Thanks, I may be in touch about something this summer... baby steps...

I kept my old machine intact and ran it through a switchbox so I have 1 mouse, 1 kb, 1 mon, 2 PC’s. So I still have all my old stuff whenever I need it. I didn’t have a lot of the installation disks for old programs so I figured it was best just to keep the old one. I have since set up a home net with 4 PC’s connected…just cuz I could. Same reason I have several guitars, keyboards, speakers…etc. My other half thinks I’m nuts…

cliff

My reccomended specs:

CpU: A64 x2 or A64 3200+ and up

Ram: 2 GBs (more power with no limitations)

HD: Raid 2 IDE/SATA2 (WD Raptor series) 7200rpm HDs, or better yet, go with SCSI drives (10,000rpm or higher)

With a SCSI HD you will be able to process effects, tracks, etc alot faster. 36GB SCSI HDs can be had for under $60 at places like pricewatch.com.

The raptors go to 10k rpm too these days.

yeah but they’re a couple hundred a piece.