What Should I Upgrade?

PC freezes a lot

Hi from Australia

I’ve got Windows ME on: AMD 1200MHz, 128Mb ram, 40Gb HD. Running N-track 4. It seems to freeze more than I think it should (after a certain amount of tracks and effects). I’ve increased buffer etc but rather than do a partial mixdown I’d prefer to up grade something. What do I need to upgrade, RAM or the processor? (or both?):stuck_out_tongue:

Also, if I move up to a 24 bit sound card am I going to use up much more processing power? Is the move up worth it?

Ciao

You’ve got plenty of power there for ntrack. You might try an earlier version, but you shouldn’t need to.

How many tracks are you getting?

Willy (australia)

Thanks Willy

I like to do a few vocal harmony tracks so I tend to get up to around 16 tracks per song.

I started on vers 3.3 but I really like the extras on vers 4

128Mb ram is not very much. I'd try adding some - its not very expensive. I run ME on a 1.4 Athlon with 512 RAM, and can run v3.3 with no probs.

Maaszy

Yeah, I think I would add a bit more RAM to the system and a second hard drive for n-Tracks working directory.
Also, I know that people have success using ME, but I would also think about upgrading to XP. Much more stable OS IMHO.

-Ken

definitely ram. a 1200 processor isn’t really too bad, but 128 Mb these days is really sub-par.

Besides more ram, defraggin your hard drive is critical.

I use diskkeeper, but there is a built in Microsoft program. Use it and use it often.

Besides more ram, defraggin your hard drive is critical.

I use diskkeeper, but there is a built in Microsoft program. Use it and use it often.

Sorry 'bout that double post

You should get rid of Windows ME & switch to Win 2000 or XP which will meant you’ll want a more powerful machine. You’ll also need more power/disk speed if you’re going to do 96/24 audio work.

Check you HD I/O. A single 40 gig hard drive and WinME and 128 megs or ram makes me think your had drive is probably 5400 rpm. You could be balking at disk I/O and a faster (7200 rpm) hard drive will help (along with the other good suggestions of course).