What to do with a partially operable M3?

?

So, I’ve had a Hammond M3 for 6 or 7 years now, and it has two problems: one of the tone wheels is dead, and the whole thing is almost 1/4 step flat. The tone wheel problem is not fixable, but I have lived with it. Never figured out how to get the pitch up. But it looks like we might be moving, and I sure as heck don’t want to lug that thing around again, given that there are soft synth options that are really credible.

So…could I cut out the amp and use it for guitar or something? Any ideas? Anyone in southeastern Michigan area want it, for parts or whatever?

???

I suggest you get a decent microphone hooked up to it, make samples of as many tone combinations as you can from as many keys as you can - just record it - you can tune and edit the recordings into a sampler patch later - then thank the instrument for its time and give it a final resting place. I don’t know if you want to salvage parts from it, but if it is beyond repair, leave it like that.

Regarding a software sampler: The DS-404 is a great and flexible one - and free, too! :D

regards, Nils

Ah, Nils, such a sampling project would really tax my patience! :) It’s a great idea, however, and I will give it a go, if/when I can find the time. I have the DS-404, of course! Can’t beat the price!

But what about the amp? It sure has a lot of tubes…

Save the amp! The schematics are likely to be easy to find and cheap if you need to purchase them. Is there a spring reverb in the M3? Save that too. Speakers and what ever crossover network may (or may not) be attached to them too. I don’t know the M3 at all, but I do know folks who have made nice amps outa old organs. Bet there are threads on this subject at TOMB or groupdiy.com

Yep. Keep the amp. The rest will make a nice artificial reef, fish habitat or boat anchor… :D

D

I have full schematics for the M3, clava, and the shop manual. Guy who ahd it before me bought them, then found himself a big old B3. Thanks for teh links!

Dio - yep, artificial reef, yep. :D