What to use?

Hey guys, yep another noob on the forum. Well kinda. I am just getting back in to N-track. I used it for several years jamming with a good friend of mine. He moved back to his home town a few years ago. I haven’t done much recording since then. But I am converting one room in my basement into a studio. Of course I will continue to use N-track. I am wondering what audio interface is best to use. I am thinking of going with something from M-audio. I am use to the old school mixer into your soundblaster live. But I know things have improved a lot. I love the tone that gibson5413 was able to get with his setup. What do you guys recommend?

It some measure it matters how many I/O you want. Are you going to dedicate the computer (install a card that the interface uses so you can record only on that computer) or do you want to use USB or Firewire interface? Do you want to get a unit that can keep up with the new operating systems (Like Windows 7) or if you plan to just use the computer to just record get an older, but good card that has XP drivers.
My votes: two mics or two guitars - Tascam 122 USB
Staying with XP - Echo Audio Layla 96 - 24 bit 8 in and out ( older units but they are on Ebay) Also accepts ADAT so you can run another 8 channels with a preamp unit
Newer and adaptable MOTU 896 26 X26 ( really 8 in with two ADAT that can add additional 16 channels
I have no experience with M_audio, but I know many folks love them.

I will be using Windows 7 Pro. As far as number of I/O’s, I am using a Yamaha 8 channel mixer. I would like to use that with something like the M-audio USB interface.

Quote: (bax3 @ Jan. 06 2010, 4:43 PM)

It some measure it matters how many I/O you want.
Are you going to dedicate the computer (install a card that the interface uses so you can record only on that computer) or do you want to use USB or Firewire interface?
Do you want to get a unit that can keep up with the new operating systems (Like Windows 7) or if you plan to just use the computer to just record get an older, but good card that has XP drivers.
My votes:
two mics or two guitars - Tascam 122 USB

Staying with XP - Echo Audio Layla 96 - 24 bit 8 in and out ( older units but they are on Ebay) Also accepts ADAT so you can run another 8 channels with a preamp unit

Newer and adaptable MOTU 896
26 X26
( really 8 in with two ADAT that can add additional 16 channels
I have no experience with M_audio, but I know many folks love them.

I noticed the older Layla units do not have a ADAT connection.
There are not a lot of them on Ebay right now.

If he is happy with 20 bit he should go for this one:

Layla
it is up to $21.50 with two days left....I don't recommend anything USB, but some people have had success with them.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

There are two Layla versions - the Layla 20 does not have ADAT and the drivers are getting a bit long in the tooth. The Layla 24 ( it is not the Layla 96 I miss-named it before) has ADAT. It also will run off a cardbus (if you can find the cardbus) for use on a laptop with a PCMCIA card slop (if you can find one of those). I have one of those and I have upgraded to other units over time, but the Layla 24 is still a reliable unit, and paired with my Presonus Digimax amke good sounding recordings. I guess the one drawback for the Layla 24 is that is takes a separate preamp. You can get drivers for Windows 7 for the Layla 24. Echo is a very good company that does not get enough notice. I have not used my Layla 20 for a while so I can’t be sure about the drivers with SP3 for windows XP but there will not be any Windows 7 drivers.

Oh all good to know stuff, I am looking for an affordable ADAT pci solution, and you have answered at least one ponderance of mine (about the laptop/PCMCIA card slot option)…with the layla, they have simple PCI slot pipleline converters…I don’t really need all those channels having the ONYX1620 already going in a DAW through firewire…but I would like an affordable way to get some ADAT tracks into a system.

In that same price ranger (as the above two products mentioned) is the Marian ADCON it has two preamps (XLR) 8 1/4 ins and the pipeline.

I will look into that LAyla 24…although I am doing multiple ADATS so I may need something that has multiple pipelines…Marian makes a PCI card with two ADAT ins…$249.00 really all I need at this point for sum mixes and such.

Sorry for the thread jack mars, we were talking shop, I will try and stop now.
:laugh:

keep shinin

jerm :cool: